Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA on Panaroma 11th Nov - Criticism of "Tankering" Practice

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA on Panaroma 11th Nov - Criticism of "Tankering" Practice

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2019, 3:18 am

Programs: Seigneur des Tarifs Utils First Class Mucci with Honours :) - BA GGL / CCR
Originally Posted by Raffles
Surely that makes sense though?!

If you have fuel in your tank to get to Sainsbury's (assuming you are shopping there or otherwise passing it) then filling up earlier is stupid because you are spending more time driving on a full tank.

Logically the size of fuel tanks should be halved, indeed quartered. There is no reason in the UK why you need more than 100 miles-worth of fuel in your car and the environmental benefits would be huge.
Whilst the motorway service stations pillage everyone for £1.60 a litre no thanks. Maybe if you left London once in a while you would realize that you need more than 100 miles.
Old Nov 11, 2019, 3:20 am

Programs: Gold, Some red card and some hotel cards.
Originally Posted by Sam Bee
I'm a bit taken aback by some of the savings (£10-£40 per flight) - seems excessively low. Hope the programme covers how improvements in software, plane technology etc have improved fuel burn over the years.

Open question - how long does it take to fuel a narrowbody? I have always assumed that Ryanair / Easyjet etc can't refuel in their 25 minute turnarounds and always return fuel. Am I incorrect in my assertion?

I assume that this loco airlines operate more flights than BA due to entirely being shorthaul (quick google I can't find the facts) - are they not worse offenders?

I guess I can watch the programme which may reveal all, but fundamental question is - is BA the biggest offender in the UK over this?
We can usually refuel our 737s (not Ryanair by the way) within our 50 minute minimum turnaround window for a trip to Greece and back but sometimes we have to wait for the fuel trucks when the airport is busy in the summer times.
Sam Bee likes this.
Old Nov 11, 2019, 3:21 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
For those interested, there are some great free reports from the IEA here:

https://www.iea.org/topics/energyefficiency/

The 2019 report is just out and I haven't looked at it much yet, the 2018 one is fairly easy to navigate and has interesting information on all segments, but transportation is key and there is a "special focus" section on aviation, so I recommend that as a starting point.
Old Nov 11, 2019, 3:21 am

Programs: Seigneur des Tarifs Utils First Class Mucci with Honours :) - BA GGL / CCR
Surely that makes sense though?!

If you have fuel in your tank to get to Sainsbury's (assuming you are shopping there or otherwise passing it) then filling up earlier is stupid because you are spending more time driving on a full tank.

Logically the size of fuel tanks should be halved, indeed quartered. There is no reason in the UK why you need more than 100 miles-worth of fuel in your car and the environmental benefits would be huge.
Whilst the motorway service stations pillage everyone for £1.60 a litre no thanks. Pretty sure that those living outside of London wouldnt share your view
KARFA, Gastrocnemius and bisonrav like this.
Old Nov 11, 2019, 3:25 am

Originally Posted by Scots_Al
Indeed - north of Fort William and west of Inverness you can be covering some large distances between open petrol stations, especially at night (or even on a Sunday in some parts!).
Then add a long detour due to a road closed etc which regularly happens up here
Old Nov 11, 2019, 3:39 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, MUCCI, Junior Jet Club.
A BA pilot was moaning about a scenario to me the other day. They'd left LHR for Scotland and were tankering round-trip fuel. At the last moment they were persuaded to take some standby crew who wanted to get home, one on the flight deck. As they approached the destination my friend starts to realise that with the extra pax - something like 400kg - they're going to be overweight. So he starts slowing down, deploying the speedbrakes, flaps early, gear down etc all in an effort to burn off just enough to get under MLW (all the while giving the jumpseater plenty of stick about them being too heavy). Then they're told they have to hold. So they land, and they've burnt off too much, so not only are they late they have to top up the tanks!

Madness.
Stez and bisonrav like this.
Old Nov 11, 2019, 3:40 am

Programs: EC Silver FC Silver
Smile

Of course it makes a difference. The lighter the car, the less fuel it uses. You are effectively reducing the weight of the car by 38kg (more, actually, as petrol is presumably denser than water - EDIT: it isn't, see the very sensible reply below re petrol floating on water).
Agree re sensible point on petrol floating - you could of course also google your assertion. Comparative weight of petrol is circa 25% less. So reducing an SUV's petrol tank from 60L to 15L - i.e. a 45L difference would save 33kg of max weight. Diesel would work out at circa 38kg.

Though even then you are assuming most people drive their cars around on a full tank (might be rental car familiarity), though of course in reality most people only refill under a quarter tank, so you are comparing a 30L difference at most, at which point you are getting dangerously close to the amount of weight I could save both cars and planes by eating sensibly.

You are also talking sub 1% of the car's total weight including passengers, at which point the fuel-burning detours for top-ups will easily outweigh any benefits.

Of course we could turn this into a fun challenge / article. Try driving a car with the kids from Luton Airport to Southampton, surviving on no less more than 15 litres of fuel without making a daft detour off the motorway - think traffic would dictate the feasibility of making it to Fleet Services :-). Not just the Scottish Highlands that suffer from a lack of Fuel Stations - applies to half the M25!
Tocsin and bisonrav like this.

Last edited by citytom; Nov 11, 2019 at 4:07 am
Old Nov 11, 2019, 3:41 am

I have, in the last month, finally run out of Uber credit. I peaked at just over £10,000 at one point :-)

I know one 'though leader' in the US had over $100,000 worth at one point.
So if we've learned one thing from this thread, it's to do referral congas rather than clicking on dodgy blog links and gifting free transport cash to metropolitans who don't actually need to drive much...
msm2000uk, argonath, S_W_S and 2 others like this.
Old Nov 11, 2019, 3:41 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hotels.com Gold

There are plenty of places in the world (and even in the UK) when 100 miles is in no way sufficient. I have been places in Nevada where it is 160+ miles to the next petrol station (and indeed had to drive half an our each way off our route to fill up as we wouldn't otherwise have had enough for the next leg either). Even in rural France on a weekend in August you struggle to find somewhere open and it can get a bit dicey and I'm sure rural Scotland can be similar.

So it won't work in other countries and if you proposed somehow limiting them for UK cars only that would require manufacturers to install different fuel tanks for different markets which leads to inefficiency in production, as well as the inability to take UK-market cars to other countries even for holidays.
Old Nov 11, 2019, 3:44 am

Note also that average fuel loads are just over half a tank, assuming people fill up near empty. But we're now so far off topic, it'll take most of the Brent field output to fly us back.
Stez likes this.
Old Nov 11, 2019, 3:51 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Having more efficient air conditioning system may have a better effect than discouraging/banning tankering (the link is a video on BBC about a potentially substantial effect that more energy-efficient air conditioning system may have on the emission):

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-us...ave-the-planet
Old Nov 11, 2019, 4:17 am

It's being tackled ..... with a 3rd runway.

But I bet those greens still won't be happy :-)

You think there won't be holding when (if) the runway is built? OK - maybe not immediately but Heathrow are doing it to increase capacity, not to provide relief to overstrecthed runways. There'll be holding again in a couple of years when the slots are filled up.
Old Nov 11, 2019, 4:21 am
V10

Programs: MUCCI Gold
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
Having more efficient air conditioning system may have a better effect than discouraging/banning tankering (the link is a video on BBC about a potentially substantial effect that more energy-efficient air conditioning system may have on the emission):

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-us...ave-the-planet
Having more efficient airconditioning AND stopping aviation practices that cause increased emissions would have a better effect still.
Old Nov 11, 2019, 4:23 am

It's being tackled ..... with a 3rd runway.

But I bet those greens still won't be happy :-)
Am I the only one who thinks that LHR will fill that one to the brim too?
Old Nov 11, 2019, 4:25 am

Originally Posted by V10
Having more efficient airconditioning AND stopping aviation practices that cause increased emissions would have a better effect still.
What like tier point runs ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.