FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Thanks FlyerTalk (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1994915-thanks-flyertalk.html)

Simonp27 Nov 10, 2019 2:09 am

Thanks FlyerTalk

Hi

Following the tips on here over the last 2 years to help me collect Avios and use of the BA AMEX I have just bought First class to TOR and Business return for 2 adults for just £1300, 118,000 Avios and my companion voucher. Taking my son on a long promised trip.

Looking forward to First and of course the CCR.as have done business before.

Last questions.......

Chances of being bump down on the day please?

And how long before take off can we arrive at T5?

Thanks again.

krispy84 Nov 10, 2019 2:17 am

Hello,

Where are you flying to? TOR is an airport in Wyoming.

Re the downgrade, no one can tell you that you won’t be, but it is far far less likely to happen than reading FT would have you believe.

Flying in F or J, you can arrive as soon as T5 opens.

Simonp27 Nov 10, 2019 2:20 am

I meant Toronto!!

LondonElite Nov 10, 2019 2:21 am

Are you going to Wyoming or Toronto (YYZ)? The chances of being bumped down are very small, though an aircraft swap with one that doesn’t have F is possible. In that case you either ask for a flight/day change or accept a refund. You can arrive as early as you like, but unless you like sitting around aimlessly in a lounge I suggest no more than three hours before takeoff.

ens100 Nov 10, 2019 2:21 am

Originally Posted by Simonp27 (Post 31720997)
And how long before take off can we arrive at T5?

When my wife and I travel to Sao Paulo on the 21:30 flight we like to arrive at T5 for about 10:00 - move between the CCR (we do outbound in First) and the First lounge every couple of hours and enjoy some plane spotting - so basically as early as you wish (just check lounge opening time (I think 5:00) to not be stuck waiting.

P.S. Nice one for the flights. I hope it will be a good trip and that you enjoy Toronto, we certainly loved it.

Simonp27 Nov 10, 2019 3:06 am

Thanks everyone, your advice and answers are appreciated.

IntVic Nov 10, 2019 4:19 am

Originally Posted by Simonp27 (Post 31721020)
I meant Toronto!!

Enjoy the trip, but Toronto is too short a flight for a 2 for 1 ticket!
I told my OH that 2 for 1 works best on the longest & most expensive flights we cannot afford. For 4 years she believed my nonsense so we visited Vancouver, Hong Kong, Singapore and Beijing. This year she said enough is enough so had to go somewhere she actually wanted to visit- Barbados (way too short a flight). :p

Simonp27 Nov 10, 2019 4:39 am

Originally Posted by IntVic (Post 31721162)
Enjoy the trip, but Toronto is too short a flight for a 2 for 1 ticket!
I told my OH that 2 for 1 works best on the longest & most expensive flights we cannot afford. For 4 years she believed my nonsense so we visited Vancouver, Hong Kong, Singapore and Beijing. This year she said enough is enough so had to go somewhere she actually wanted to visit- Barbados (way too short a flight). :p

Fair comment but we need/want to make that trip anyway so it makes sense to use the voucher.

I have another voucher that expires at the end of April which I am struggling to find a window in which to use.

craigthemif Nov 10, 2019 5:06 am

Originally Posted by Simonp27 (Post 31720997)
Hi

Following the tips on here over the last 2 years to help me collect Avios and use of the BA AMEX I have just bought First class to TOR and Business return for 2 adults for just £1300, 118,000 Avios and my companion voucher. Taking my son on a long promised trip.

I genuinely hope that you enjoy the experience.

However I couldn't help contemplating the amount of marketing / influencing / brain-washing involved to be thrilled about putting huge spend through a credit card, plus a fair amount of air travel I presume to earn those Avios, plus a pretty substantial co-payment, simply to get a one-way in F / J back for two people on an 8-hour flight.

BA should be the ones thrilled that people not only do this, but are excited about it. Potentially a reason why we still aren't seeing Dynamic Pricing...

marshy11 Nov 10, 2019 6:14 am

Originally Posted by craigthemif (Post 31721238)

However I couldn't help contemplating the amount of marketing / influencing / brain-washing involved to be thrilled about putting huge spend through a credit card, plus a fair amount of air travel I presume to earn those Avios, plus a pretty substantial co-payment, simply to get a one-way in F / J back for two people on an 8-hour flight.

Before I found Vflyer, Head for Points and Flyer Talk I had no idea my "spend" could generate something other than the item I had purchased.

For me, there is no "marketing / influencing / brain-washing" as I would have spent the money anyhow, the difference is that in days gone by I would be contemplating a battery charger or travel mug in exchange for 16 thousand Barclaycard points. Who knew.

craigthemif Nov 10, 2019 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by marshy11 (Post 31721357)
Before I found Vflyer, Head for Points and Flyer Talk I had no idea my "spend" could generate something other than the item I had purchased.

For me, there is no "marketing / influencing / brain-washing" as I would have spent the money anyhow, the difference is that in days gone by I would be contemplating a battery charger or travel mug in exchange for 16 thousand Barclaycard points. Who knew.

^

Hopefully you will go on to discover those mileage-earning credit card options where you can try better F products minus the £1,000 in surcharges...

allturnleft Nov 10, 2019 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by ens100 (Post 31721023)
When my wife and I travel to Sao Paulo on the 21:30 flight we like to arrive at T5 for about 10:00 - move between the CCR (we do outbound in First) and the First lounge every couple of hours and enjoy some plane spotting - so basically as early as you wish (just check lounge opening time (I think 5:00) to not be stuck waiting.

P.S. Nice one for the flights. I hope it will be a good trip and that you enjoy Toronto, we certainly loved it.

I love airports and planes but this sounds bonkers!
No lounge is worth more than a couple of hours

Each to their own I guess

jmj9905 Nov 10, 2019 3:31 pm

If SimonP wants to take his son a trip to Toronto in f/j this way. Good for him. It all depends on what your priorites are. I am fl;ying with my wife in FEb. iad/lhr/lis with aa point and a copay in F. To me it's worth it. YMMV

TraumaDoc Nov 11, 2019 4:25 am

Originally Posted by craigthemif (Post 31721238)
I genuinely hope that you enjoy the experience.

BA should be the ones thrilled that people not only do this, but are excited about it. Potentially a reason why we still aren't seeing Dynamic Pricing...

Come on.

I'm doing a similar trip next year - out to YYZ and return from JFK on a 2-4-1. It will be my first time in F, and I'm really looking forward to it. As someone who only flies one or two long haul trips a year (usually in W if paying cash. All leisure, no business) this is a big deal.

The vast majority of people will never get to fly in a premium cabin in their lifetimes. We're doing it just by diverting spend through a credit card (paid off in full each month. Never paid a penny in interest) and sticking with one alliance for other trips. I'm sure BA are buzzing about how much they've earnt from me... Good for them. I'm getting to fly in a cabin which we just couldn't afford without saving for a substantial period. Win win, no?

I'm sure as a Gold, the fun of flying in premium cabins has worn off a little, but don't take the shine off everyone else's experience... It sure beats Air Transat Economy.

craigthemif Nov 11, 2019 7:07 am

Originally Posted by TraumaDoc (Post 31724187)
Win win, no?

It's only win win for you because you've decided that paying massive surcharges is a discount.

Everywhere else in the world surcharges are an abusive additional charge on a "reward flight" that is supposed to be free or close enough. Some governments even regulate them (quite rightly)

You're all welcome to continue drinking the BA Kool Aid, but there are better opportunities out there if you're only willing to look for them.