Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Thanks FlyerTalk

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2019, 2:39 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by craigthemif
It's only win win for you because you've decided that paying massive surcharges is a discount.

Everywhere else in the world surcharges are an abusive additional charge on a "reward flight" that is supposed to be free or close enough. Some governments even regulate them (quite rightly)

You're all welcome to continue drinking the BA Kool Aid, but there are better opportunities out there if you're only willing to look for them.
If you can find BA flights to Toronto in First and Business for 650 quid per person all in, I'm sure you'd have the entire forum joining you on the plane.

Reward flights have taxes, and there are ways to rewduce them. You can take your stance but there's no other use for Avios (unless you want to buy some wine or something according their latest email...) and I have done literally nothing diofferent to collect the vast amount I have in the last year. It's simply a case of buying things through thte credit card that I'd be buying anyway, being smart about the bonuses and knowing what else I can turn into avios, like Tesco Clubcard points. I've done nothing different or spent anything extra, but I can now get an NYC return flight in the premium cabins for two people for £500 if I fly from Dublin. There is literally no possible way that this is a bad thing.

Stop shitting on other people's happiness.

OP - enjoy the premium cabins - A350 business on the way back...? I did this same trip a month ago and the flying was probably the best part of the whole holiday! My introduction to the world of BAEC
jmj9905, stephenjc and TTmex like this.
Old Nov 11, 2019, 2:59 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold / Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Penfold101
If you can find BA flights to Toronto in First and Business for 650 quid per person all in, I'm sure you'd have the entire forum joining you on the plane.

Reward flights have taxes, and there are ways to rewduce them. You can take your stance but there's no other use for Avios (unless you want to buy some wine or something according their latest email...) and I have done literally nothing diofferent to collect the vast amount I have in the last year. It's simply a case of buying things through thte credit card that I'd be buying anyway, being smart about the bonuses and knowing what else I can turn into avios, like Tesco Clubcard points. I've done nothing different or spent anything extra, but I can now get an NYC return flight in the premium cabins for two people for £500 if I fly from Dublin. There is literally no possible way that this is a bad thing.

Stop shitting on other people's happiness.

OP - enjoy the premium cabins - A350 business on the way back...? I did this same trip a month ago and the flying was probably the best part of the whole holiday! My introduction to the world of BAEC
Well said. The amount of negativity on this forum is staggering sometimes. I wonder why some people bother to come on here. Jeeze, there was even a complaint about Kiwi fruit in the lounge last week. Tongue in cheek or not those types of posts, I'm almost inclined to stop engaging in the forum at the moment as it's a daily barrage of people whining about having to press a call button to get a drink, not having their desired piece of fruit, the club suite not being as good as the Q suite or the latest offer being .... because it doesn't work for them. Now it's some guy whose about to take his son on a trip of a lifetime and all someone can do is p&$$ on his bonfire. Hope they have a blinder of a trip!

Rant over.
jmj9905 and Penfold101 like this.
Old Nov 11, 2019, 3:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR
I genuinely hope that you enjoy the experience.

However I couldn't help contemplating the amount of marketing / influencing / brain-washing involved to be thrilled about putting huge spend through a credit card, plus a fair amount of air travel I presume to earn those Avios, plus a pretty substantial co-payment, simply to get a one-way in F / J back for two people on an 8-hour flight.

BA should be the ones thrilled that people not only do this, but are excited about it. Potentially a reason why we still aren't seeing Dynamic Pricing...
Hi

I couldn't reply yesterday as I was limited to 5 posts per day.

I got my 2 for 1 voucher and Avios stack by putting all my personal spending and business expenses on my BA Amex (subject to retailers taking Amex), my wife does the same and typically that is around £5k per month so it adds up quite quickly. The BA Amex card is always paid off in full each month. I also fly BA Business around Europe 6 or 7 times a year gaining further points.

So I get the points for spending I am making anyway or flights I am taking for work.

The only person losing out would be possibly the retailer as Amex processing fees are higher than Mastercard or Visa (I think).

Sure it would be nice not to pay all the taxes etc but I am still really happy with the deal.
Old Nov 11, 2019, 4:19 pm

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond
Precisely. Only you can decide if it's a good deal or not. You think it is, and that should be good enough. I am pretty sure you and your son will have an amazing trip.
Old Nov 11, 2019, 7:19 pm

I don't understand all the griping. Even with the "fees" you are getting premium cabins (f or J) AT a very affordable price. In addition to the iad/lhr.lis f rt my wife and I also have iad/lhr/jnb in f in april. We paid $2,000.00 us in fees. To me that's a steal. I could never afford to buy those tickets. I have been retired for 7 years and my wife and I have flown all over the world in premium cabins. We have flown on BA, CX, JL,QF even AA. What's to complain about?
TraumaDoc and TTmex like this.
Old Nov 11, 2019, 11:00 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
It's only win win for you because you've decided that paying massive surcharges is a discount.

Everywhere else in the world surcharges are an abusive additional charge on a "reward flight" that is supposed to be free or close enough. Some governments even regulate them (quite rightly)

You're all welcome to continue drinking the BA Kool Aid, but there are better opportunities out there if you're only willing to look for them.
There is no other FFP that gives me the benefits I can accrue (mainly through Amex and the 2-4-1) with the limited amount of flying I do and on an airline which flies where I need it to.

If the Kool Aid is that bad for you, you could cut up the Gold card?
Old Nov 12, 2019, 2:23 am

We are off to Seattle in May, both legs in F using an Amex 2-4-1, our daughter is coming with us and so I looked at what it would be for her in F and it was over £9k, so I don’t think ours is bad value even with the extortionate fees! She is actually WT out and WT+ return.
Old Nov 12, 2019, 3:06 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Each to their own - Only the individual can decide if its worth it or not.

This is my first month of having an Amex Premium Plus card so like others mentioned im just diverting all my expenses onto the card other than my debit card.

Anyhow really looking forward to gaining the 241 voucher although have no idea where ill be going but look forward to that research once gained.
Ill be sure to read up the relevant topic of how to use and book rewards flights (never done it before but guessing the more in advance the more availability in each cabin).

Turks and Caicos on free flights has a nice ring to it....
jmj9905, TraumaDoc and TTmex like this.
Old Sep 5, 2022, 12:17 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by Simonp27
Hi

Following the tips on here over the last 2 years to help me collect Avios and use of the BA AMEX I have just bought First class to TOR and Business return for 2 adults for just £1300, 118,000 Avios and my companion voucher. Taking my son on a long promised trip.

Looking forward to First and of course the CCR.as have done business before.

Last questions.......

Chances of being bump down on the day please?

And how long before take off can we arrive at T5?

Thanks again.
Apologies for resurrecting this thread, but I found it on my notifications and wondered if OP had a good time on his holiday?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.