Search

US to South America on BA metal

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2019, 5:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA BA, Starwwood, Hilton
US to South America on BA metal

Hi All
Odd question- I have a Visa reward vouchers and I am trying to use them around Christmas time to go somewhere warm Can I book from US to Argentina thru LON? Not ideal I know but I have a bit of deadline to use the miles and stop over in London would be an okay

I must say considering how expensive it is to use BA Aviios, I am very surprised there is so limited availability?

Thanks

Tom
Old Nov 9, 2019, 8:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
I'm almost certain that no fares would be filed for such a routing, so effectively, it would count as a US to LHR returned combined with a LHR to EZE return. Needless to point out to the obvious which is that it is an entirely absurd itinerary compared to an AA or LA itinerary within Americas, and in most cases a certain recipe for horrid connection times...

The limited availability is no surprise at all: xmas is ultra peak time for flights from Europe to South America, and peak time for flights across the North Atlantic. The unusual combination does not create an ad hoc availability bonus beyond that of the individual segments.
Old Nov 10, 2019, 3:08 am

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle.
I'd try putting it is as a multi city route in the search on the BA Web to see if you can even get it on a single ticket, pretty sure it would work but of course that's only half the issue. I cant see them seeing that as a valid route for a reward ticket.

You'd likely have to buy 1 leg of the trip and use the reward for the other half in the end, of course whether this is a sensible route to get from your A to B is certainly a valid debate but ultimately your choice.
Old Nov 10, 2019, 3:57 pm

I’ve always thought it a bit bizarre, but yes you can book US-LON-South America on BA, no problem. A typical LHRGRU flight has a surprising number of customers connecting from New York.
HIDDY likes this.
Old Nov 10, 2019, 4:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Surely going via XYZ to get from A-B is seen as normal behaviour on here?

I once dragged the missus back from blighty to EZE via YVR-SEA-ORD and she didn't demand a divorce. Can't offer you any help OP as I haven't a clue what Visa reward vouchers are.
Old Nov 11, 2019, 5:41 am

Programs: BAEC Gold / Marriott Platinum
Could you not do USA to LHR and then nest the LHR to SA the middle. Buy the US legs in cash, then use the voucher for LHR to South America? Also, to cut risk, spend 2 days in London going each way and enjoy a little City break too?

You'd use the money you'll pay in ex USA fees on hotels instead
Old Nov 11, 2019, 7:37 am

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by DCTomD
I must say considering how expensive it is to use BA Aviios, I am very surprised there is so limited availability?
Booking long haul with Avios is wasteful, as is upgrading economy to premium. The two smartest uses are avios are reward flights savers (fixed, low-tax redemptions within Europe) and upgrading long haul from premium economy to business, or business to first. It's these that result in the low availability.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.