BA41 LHR to Durban

Old Nov 9, 2019, 8:44 am
Original Poster

BA41 LHR to Durban

I have an upcoming flight on BA41 from LHR to Durban. I notice that this flight has been cancelled twice in the last week.

Does anyone know why?
Old Nov 9, 2019, 8:54 am

Programs: BA Gold, HHonours, SPG, AVIS
We have a flight on 2/12, and the BA41 isn’t showing as bootable on Monday 11/11 and Thursday 14/11.

is this a 787 issue or a low load issue?
Old Nov 9, 2019, 9:00 am

Woah, you wait all year for a BA41 thread and then two come along on the same day!

See also Departures to Durban but Im afraid it doesnt answer your question.
orbitmic likes this.
Old Nov 9, 2019, 10:18 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by bongobongobongo
I have an upcoming flight on BA41 from LHR to Durban. I notice that this flight has been cancelled twice in the last week.

Does anyone know why?
Welcome to Flyertalk and welcome to the BA forum. I don't have any exact information on this, but I would strongly suspect it is 787 Trent engine related. You will find other threads that go into a lot of detail on this but on a given day BA are 1 or 2 787s down on what they need to run their full schedule and something tends to get dropped. SJC, PHL, EWR and previously LAX have been other casualties of this, they seem to look at timings and loads before cancelling services.
Old Nov 9, 2019, 11:19 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Welcome to Flyertalk and welcome to the BA forum. I don't have any exact information on this, but I would strongly suspect it is 787 Trent engine related. You will find other threads that go into a lot of detail on this but on a given day BA are 1 or 2 787s down on what they need to run their full schedule and something tends to get dropped. SJC, PHL, EWR and previously LAX have been other casualties of this, they seem to look at timings and loads before cancelling services.
Thanks for the info. Do you have any idea of how much notice passengers whose flights are cancelled get?
Old Nov 9, 2019, 11:29 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by bongobongobongo
Thanks for the info. Do you have any idea of how much notice passengers whose flights are cancelled get?
It has varied. In theory the pressure is on BA to cancel more than 2 weeks before departure since that means that people cannot claim EC261 for any resultant delay. And some cancellations have been notified 2 - 3 weeks out. However there have been cases where the flight was cancelled the night before departure. If there was a cancellation you would normally be rebooked on to a JNB or CPT service with the last leg to DUR on the local BA franchise service. But having said that, the great majority of 787 services are running as normal, there probably isn't much you can do about it.
Shingi likes this.
Old Nov 9, 2019, 1:56 pm

It has varied. In theory the pressure is on BA to cancel more than 2 weeks before departure since that means that people cannot claim EC261 for any resultant delay. And some cancellations have been notified 2 - 3 weeks out. However there have been cases where the flight was cancelled the night before departure. If there was a cancellation you would normally be rebooked on to a JNB or CPT service with the last leg to DUR on the local BA franchise service. But having said that, the great majority of 787 services are running as normal, there probably isn't much you can do about it.
I had a flight cancelled from Tokyo Narita to Heathrow last year due to this issue with about 36 hours notice and was told I was not eligible for any compensation under EC261 despite being rebooked on an earlier flight.

Is there any indication on when this issue will be sorted? I am very reluctant to book a BA 787 flight until it is sorted.
Old Nov 9, 2019, 2:02 pm

Originally Posted by Kier1986
I had a flight cancelled from Tokyo Narita to Heathrow last year due to this issue with about 36 hours notice and was told I was not eligible for any compensation under EC261 despite being rebooked on an earlier flight.

Is there any indication on when this issue will be sorted? I am very reluctant to book a BA 787 flight until it is sorted.
The first point: you should appeal that to CEDR or MCOL (depending on exact circumstances), BA disagrees on this, but most cases appear to work for the passenger. See the main EC261 thread (particularly the thread from 2018) where there are examples of this.

I don't know when this will be sorted, it is clearly something that Rolls Royce is struggling with and recent incidents aren't helping matters either. My guess is we are still many months from a conclusion. Personally I wouldn't let it affect your bookings (I certainly don't), since the overwhelming majority of 787 flights are running, some get swapped over to other aircraft, and frankly there is a very long list of other reasons why flights get changed or cancelled.
Old Nov 9, 2019, 2:18 pm

The first point: you should appeal that to CEDR or MCOL (depending on exact circumstances), BA disagrees on this, but most cases appear to work for the passenger. See the main EC261 thread (particularly the thread from 2018) where there are examples of this.

I don't know when this will be sorted, it is clearly something that Rolls Royce is struggling with and recent incidents aren't helping matters either. My guess is we are still many months from a conclusion. Personally I wouldn't let it affect your bookings (I certainly don't), since the overwhelming majority of 787 flights are running, some get swapped over to other aircraft, and frankly there is a very long list of other reasons why flights get changed or cancelled.
I did consider appealing it but I did not think it would get me anywhere and would be a waste of 25.

Thanks for your advice.
Old Nov 9, 2019, 3:51 pm

I did consider appealing it but I did not think it would get me anywhere and would be a waste of 25.

Thanks for your advice.
CEDR is free and I would be willing to bet you would win.
Old Nov 9, 2019, 4:59 pm

It was on May 2nd 2018 - has too much time passed now to claim?

I was rebooked on the morning departure with JAL from Haneda which was 1 hour 35 minutes before the Narita departure but obviously arrived back at LHR earlier.
Old Nov 9, 2019, 8:21 pm

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC

I was rebooked on the morning departure with JAL from Haneda which was 1 hour 35 minutes before the Narita departure but obviously arrived back at LHR earlier.
So you want compensation for arriving 1:35h earlier?

This compensation culture is seriously getting out of hand...
Old Nov 9, 2019, 11:50 pm

Eu261 goes back 6 years.
Old Nov 9, 2019, 11:51 pm

No, you have a few more years to claim before your claim would expire (and since BA has incorrectly denied your claim, even that would be arguable). You would be entitled to Article 7 if you left more than an hour earlier, however the compensation would be halved, to 300 per person.

More details in the main EC261 thread.
orbitmic likes this.
Old Nov 10, 2019, 4:15 am

Welcome to Flyertalk and welcome to the BA forum. I don't have any exact information on this, but I would strongly suspect it is 787 Trent engine related.
Crew on the BA41 yesterday from London confirmed that this is indeed (their understanding of) the case.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.