BA41 LHR to Durban

Old Nov 11, 2019, 4:09 am
  #31  
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: UK
Programs: BA Gold, HHonours, SPG, AVIS
Posts: 528
We have a 241 booking on Monday 2/12, and an onward booking to CPT on a seperate ticket, so a redirect to CPT for us would be useful, albeit without the EU261 compensation, as I would not be keen to get a flight to DUR then back to CPT
escape2sun is offline  
Old Nov 11, 2019, 11:35 am
  #32  
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 90
Originally Posted by SavvyTravel
Thanks CWS; I think a plan B might be necessary and it strikes me that either of the A380s ex-JNB would be better than either of the 747s ex CPT.
Not sure of your logic as I havenít been following in detail but the A380 service to/ex JNB is less reliable than the B744. Be careful not to jump from the frying pan into the fire.
SavvyTravel likes this.
djbenedict is offline  
Old Nov 11, 2019, 11:50 am
  #33  
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Hertfordshire, UK
Programs: BAEC Silver, Virgin Flying Club.
Posts: 124
Ive use BA41/40 from LHR-DUR and BA55/56/57 (LHR-JNB) on both A380 and 747 various times, never had any issues.
npturner is offline  
Old Nov 12, 2019, 1:29 am
  #34  
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 90
Originally Posted by npturner
Ive use BA41/40 from LHR-DUR and BA55/56/57 (LHR-JNB) on both A380 and 747 various times, never had any issues.
I've also been personally lucky but I think it's a matter of fact that the A388 has more issues, not helped by the fact there are simply fewer of these frames in the fleet. However this now seems moot for the LHR-JNB route because it seems to be A388 on both daily flights since the 26th October.
djbenedict is offline  
Old Nov 12, 2019, 1:55 am
  #35  
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Hertfordshire, UK
Programs: BAEC Silver, Virgin Flying Club.
Posts: 124
Originally Posted by djbenedict
I've also been personally lucky but I think it's a matter of fact that the A388 has more issues, not helped by the fact there are simply fewer of these frames in the fleet. However this now seems moot for the LHR-JNB route because it seems to be A388 on both daily flights since the 26th October.
I'm going to JNB via MUC this weekend, so that will be interesting!
npturner is offline  
Old Nov 12, 2019, 2:11 am
  #36  
 
Join Date: May 2007
Programs: BA Blue, EI Silver, Honours Gold, Marriott Gold
Posts: 1,217
Originally Posted by djbenedict
I've also been personally lucky but I think it's a matter of fact that the A388 has more issues, not helped by the fact there are simply fewer of these frames in the fleet. However this now seems moot for the LHR-JNB route because it seems to be A388 on both daily flights since the 26th October.
I think JNB is the first route in the BA network to get a twice daily A380? I think all previous routes have had other types (usually 777 or 747) on the route due to the relatively small cargo holds on the A380 - for the passenger volume, meaning that there is less space for cargo?
BrianDromey is online now  
Old Nov 12, 2019, 4:06 am
  #37  
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Hertfordshire, UK
Programs: BAEC Silver, Virgin Flying Club.
Posts: 124
Originally Posted by BrianDromey
I think JNB is the first route in the BA network to get a twice daily A380? I think all previous routes have had other types (usually 777 or 747) on the route due to the relatively small cargo holds on the A380 - for the passenger volume, meaning that there is less space for cargo?
When I first started to go to South Africa, BA used 747 for both services, plus the CPT route. They also do a 3rd JNB route in high season (using 787).

Decided to try out SAA & LH for this upcoming short trip.
npturner is offline  
Old Nov 12, 2019, 4:43 am
  #38  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Posts: 12
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
OK, I'm going to stick my neck out and predict it will not be cancelled, however it's so far off that it's crystal ball glazing stuff. That service will go out full in CW, full in WTP and pretty full in WT, which given that some university and college students will be returning home is what I would expect. That service is much busier than the SJC service, though the latter is more business driven so it's difficult to compare, business travel being booked later than the leisure travel to DUR. Either way SJC is G9 and DUR is G0 (fare buckets, just for my fellow tea-leaf examiners) which is an indicator to me that DUR is going to be busy.

In any event it's a long time to be fretting about it, the worst that could happen is that you be routed via JNB or CPT. From what I've spotted on the LAX cancellations, a key factor is whether BA can shift passengers via other routes and at that time of year California is easier than ZA.
I have a couple more questions:

Are you able to make a similar prediction about my return flight on Sunday 12th January?

If I am faced with a choice between the A380 to JNB or the B747 to CPT - both in CW - which is the better bet? I have recent experience of the A380, but it is more than 10 years since I flew the B747.

Thanks in advance.
bongobongobongo is offline  
Old Nov 12, 2019, 4:49 am
  #39  
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Hertfordshire, UK
Programs: BAEC Silver, Virgin Flying Club.
Posts: 124
Originally Posted by bongobongobongo
I have a couple more questions:

Are you able to make a similar prediction about my return flight on Sunday 12th January?

If I am faced with a choice between the A380 to JNB or the B747 to CPT - both in CW - which is the better bet? I have recent experience of the A380, but it is more than 10 years since I flew the B747.

Thanks in advance.
The difference between 747 and A380 is less in Club than it is in First (where the 747s tapered nose cuts some space).
Obviously the 747s are getting old now, and not as quiet, but I still love flying on them.

Last edited by npturner; Nov 12, 2019 at 4:51 am Reason: typo
npturner is offline  
Old Nov 12, 2019, 4:55 am
  #40  
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: UK
Programs: BA Gold, *A Silver, HH Gold, IHG Diamond
Posts: 530
Originally Posted by djbenedict
Not sure of your logic as I havenít been following in detail but the A380 service to/ex JNB is less reliable than the B744. Be careful not to jump from the frying pan into the fire.
Excellent point.

The logic was simple, 20yr+ 747 CPT-LHR (which I've flown) vs 5yr old A380, which I've not flown on BA, nor been to JNB (airport or city). Plus I'd end up with a 7-8hr layover for a one day tour of a new city.

Given that cancellation will probably only be known the day before (as the outward flight from LHR would be the first casualty), I'm rather hoping the odds of BA cancelling both DUR and JNB on the same day are somewhat remote (IRROPS may still happen of course).
SavvyTravel is offline  
Old Nov 12, 2019, 5:01 am
  #41  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Posts: 12
Originally Posted by npturner
The difference between 747 and A380 is less in Club than it is in First (where the 747s tapered nose cuts some space).
Obviously the 747s are getting old now, and not as quiet, but I still love flying on them.
My one and only experience in First was an upgrade from CW to the very front row in the 747. The tapered nose meant that we had forward facing windows. This was in the days before the IFA had lots of camera views.
bongobongobongo is offline  
Old Nov 12, 2019, 11:43 pm
  #42  
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 90
Originally Posted by SavvyTravel
The logic was simple, 20yr+ 747 CPT-LHR (which I've flown) vs 5yr old A380, which I've not flown on BA, nor been to JNB (airport or city). Plus I'd end up with a 7-8hr layover for a one day tour of a new city.

Given that cancellation will probably only be known the day before (as the outward flight from LHR would be the first casualty), I'm rather hoping the odds of BA cancelling both DUR and JNB on the same day are somewhat remote (IRROPS may still happen of course).
As ever, I think it all depends how critical it is for you to get back on time. If it's not really critical, I think your logic is spot on; and in any case the odds of any cancellation at all are low. FWIW, for a quick visit to JNB, I would recommend the Sterkfontein caves. To be fair these are not actually in the city, rather nearby, but that means you get to see a bit of the countryside.
SavvyTravel likes this.
djbenedict is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.