BA41 LHR to Durban

Old Nov 10, 2019, 4:53 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by SKT-DK
So you want compensation for arriving 1:35h earlier?

This compensation culture is seriously getting out of hand...
No, the compensation is for having to leave earlier than necessary, and sometimes having to take more than one flight.
SW7London and orbitmic like this.
Old Nov 10, 2019, 7:01 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the update.
Old Nov 10, 2019, 10:01 am
Original Poster

I see that tomorrow's flight (Monday 11th) has also been cancelled. I'm starting to get worried now.
Old Nov 10, 2019, 10:28 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by bongobongobongo
I see that tomorrow's flight (Monday 11th) has also been cancelled. I'm starting to get worried now.
When are you travelling? I could compare loadings between DUR and SJC and make a guess which is more in the frame.
Old Nov 10, 2019, 10:35 am
Original Poster

Saturday 7th December.
Old Nov 10, 2019, 11:17 am

Sign up for a free FlightAware account, which gives you 3 months of flight history, and check out the cancellation hit rate on Saturdays? Better than Monday and Thursday *I think*.
Old Nov 10, 2019, 11:18 am

Programs: BA Gold
Hi Iam going this Thursday 14th on BA 41 , could you check loadings, looks pretty full in Club ,don't know about rest of cabins
Old Nov 10, 2019, 11:22 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by bongobongobongo
Saturday 7th December.
OK, I'm going to stick my neck out and predict it will not be cancelled, however it's so far off that it's crystal ball glazing stuff. That service will go out full in CW, full in WTP and pretty full in WT, which given that some university and college students will be returning home is what I would expect. That service is much busier than the SJC service, though the latter is more business driven so it's difficult to compare, business travel being booked later than the leisure travel to DUR. Either way SJC is G9 and DUR is G0 (fare buckets, just for my fellow tea-leaf examiners) which is an indicator to me that DUR is going to be busy.

In any event it's a long time to be fretting about it, the worst that could happen is that you be routed via JNB or CPT. From what I've spotted on the LAX cancellations, a key factor is whether BA can shift passengers via other routes and at that time of year California is easier than ZA.
Old Nov 10, 2019, 11:26 am

Programs: BAEC Silver/Hilton Diamond/IHG Spire
Going on the 5th December and actually wouldnt mind a re route to a more civilised arrival time! 😂
Old Nov 10, 2019, 11:38 am
Original Poster

Thanks for checking and for the (slightly re-assuring) info. I see that there was one cancellation in September, but 3 out of 5 have been cancelled so far in November.
Old Nov 10, 2019, 1:55 pm

Programs: BA Gold, *A Silver, HH Gold, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by Betacam
Hi Iam going this Thursday 14th on BA 41 , could you check loadings, looks pretty full in Club ,don't know about rest of cabins
I'm on the same flight (see the other thread) and the CW cabin of 49 has one un-reserved seat only.
If someone (corporate-wage-slave ?) could have a look at the loadings that would be great. The alternative A380 to JNB and hop to DUR to arrive at 10 am would be an "ok' alternative.

But .... I'm back on BA40 on Tuesday 19th and the CW cabin seems virtually empty (9 seats). And that one being cancelled would be a real problem as a quick look at alternatives all seem to result being back at LHR on Wednesday morning.
So a quick check on that one too would be awesome
Thanks all
Old Nov 10, 2019, 2:09 pm

Originally Posted by SavvyTravel
I'm on the same flight (see the other thread) and the CW cabin of 49 has one un-reserved seat only.
Outbound, yes it will be full in CW and WTP, some space in WT. Not a likely cancellation target I would have thought, unless they really do run out of alternatives.

But as you indicate the return flight on 19 November looks fairly light at the moment, in both directions, so I guess it is at risk, depending on whether any other aircraft goes out of service between now and then.
SavvyTravel likes this.
Old Nov 10, 2019, 3:30 pm

Programs: BA Gold, *A Silver, HH Gold, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Outbound, yes it will be full in CW and WTP, some space in WT. Not a likely cancellation target I would have thought, unless they really do run out of alternatives.

But as you indicate the return flight on 19 November looks fairly light at the moment, in both directions, so I guess it is at risk, depending on whether any other aircraft goes out of service between now and then.
Thanks CWS; I think a plan B might be necessary and it strikes me that either of the A380s ex-JNB would be better than either of the 747s ex CPT. We would need to get to LHR early on the Wednesday to get to work. Logically, the earliest possible we can get back would be BA 58 via CPT arr 04.45 but our preference would be BA56 via JNB arr 05.25 (marginally better for sleep - it's a pity that both the second flights arrive back too late to make work).

Any tips for getting the BA56 via-JNB option? Obviously I hope we don't have to make that call.
Old Nov 10, 2019, 3:37 pm

Originally Posted by SavvyTravel
Any tips for getting the BA56 via-JNB option? Obviously I hope we don't have to make that call.
If a flight gets cancelled it is usually done via a simultaneous SMS and email, so it's important these are up to date in your booking and any privacy settings are set correctly. Then if you know your best alternative you can hopefully be quick to call in. The only thing to bear in mind there is that formally only one change is allowed, so if you are offered something else and you don't like it, then you best decline until you have considered it through.
SavvyTravel likes this.
Old Nov 11, 2019, 2:22 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Virgin Flying Club.
Originally Posted by baileysserpant
Going on the 5th December and actually wouldnt mind a re route to a more civilised arrival time! 😂
I quite like the early arrival. By the time luggage has come through, get hire car and 10mins down the road you are having breakfast on the beach at Java in Umdloti :-)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.