FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Transit JNB: BA to BA (Int to Int) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1994764-transit-jnb-ba-ba-int-int.html)

londonsean69 Nov 9, 2019 7:00 am

Transit JNB: BA to BA (Int to Int)

I snagged 2-4-1 in Biz LHR to JNB, and we are considering heading up to Livingstone when we land.
Our inbound lands at 0915, the outbound to LVI would be 1100 (BA, operated by Kulula)
They would be separate tickets.

As we would be Int-Int in transit, I assume we can stay airside at JNB?
If that's the case then I'm reasonably happy with a tight connection, but if we have to clear immigration etc. then we'd probably book a hotel for the night.
Alternatively, we could do LVI at the end of the trip, but that would mean flying back the day before we fly, as I don't fancy missing the flight home :)

Thoughts? Has anybody else done the same?

Thanks in advance
Sean

johnaalex Nov 9, 2019 7:32 am

I might be wrong, but I think the problem you'll have is that your bags won't be checked through which means you'll have to clear immigration to get your bags.

londonsean69 Nov 9, 2019 8:28 am

Originally Posted by johnaalex (Post 31718634)
I might be wrong, but I think the problem you'll have is that your bags won't be checked through which means you'll have to clear immigration to get your bags.

Hand baggage only :) Apologies, should have put that in the OP.

Stewie Mac Nov 9, 2019 2:34 pm

Yes, you can stay in int’l transit then, no need to clear immigration (there is a small transit immigration desk but normally that’s only a few minutes queue at most) so no issues assuming that your inbound is more or less on time. Lots more information in the excellent ‘JNB master thread’ in the Africa destination forum...

TheFlyingCyclist Nov 9, 2019 2:48 pm

I’d be worried about missing that connection on separate tickets. How about a couple of days in Kruger as a buffer?

londonsean69 Nov 9, 2019 3:12 pm

Originally Posted by TheFlyingCyclist (Post 31719817)
I’d be worried about missing that connection on separate tickets. How about a couple of days in Kruger as a buffer?

2 weeks in Kruger is already part of the plan :)

The idea was to pop up to LVI for the falls, before heading over to Kruger.
Alternatively, we could do this at the end, but that would mean overnighting in JNB before flying home.

Time to research what is near Jo'Burg :)

jmj9905 Nov 9, 2019 3:54 pm

I am flying lhr/jnb/wdk. The last leg is on comair. I am assuming our bags will be checked through to wdk? Therefore we will stay in the int. section of jnb?

Stewie Mac Nov 9, 2019 4:25 pm

If on one ticket LHR-jnb-wdk then yes, bags checked through and an easy transit. Separate tickets would mean clearing immigration, collecting bags and rechecking which is a pain (allegedly, I’ve never checked bags to jnb). Again, all the info you could ever want or need about travelling to/from/through jnb is in the excellent master thread in the Africa forum...

jmj9905 Nov 9, 2019 7:24 pm

Thanks Stewie Mac I appreciate the information.

LCY8737 Nov 9, 2019 10:57 pm

Assuming flights are on time, then this is perfectly doable. If you are concerned about missing the connection, have a look at how much walk up fares are, should give you an indication of what risk you are taking. There also tends to be last minute avios availability on Comair.

I wouldn't spend more time in Joburg than absolutely necessary,

nancypants Nov 9, 2019 11:12 pm

The primary issue with LVI is that there is only one flight a day on Comair (it’s not operated by Kulula btw), I believe only one a day on SAA as well, which IIRC is before the BA one. So if you miss the “connection” you’re overnighting in JNB anyway

i did this exact “connection” on two separate tickets a few months back, and it was just fine. However, I was quite nervous and of course “I did it and it was fine” is no guarantee of success

you could check and see if any of the VFA flight give you any more time to connect- the KAZA univisa covers you for both countries and the transfer across the border is OK if a little complex, definitely an experience

bluemoon68 Nov 10, 2019 9:02 am

The primary issue with LVI is that there is only one flight a day on Comair (it’s not operated by Kulula btw), I believe only one a day on SAA as well, which IIRC is before the BA one. So if you miss the “connection” you’re overnighting in JNB anyway

I've done this and asked about the risks on here, was told that they will put you on the SAA flight if the Comair one is delayed or cancelled. It often timetables to run half an hour earlier, but baring the unforeseen, the airport should know in the morning if one or other is cancelled. VFA is the back up option, if you end up doing this one, pay for the hotel to organise the transfer as there is a lot of paperwork and waiting around crossing the borders and your guide will be adept at dodging the street sellers.

londonsean69 Nov 10, 2019 10:53 am

Thank you all for the input.
The wife and I have decided to spend a day in JoBurg first.

LCY8737 Nov 10, 2019 10:59 am

Originally Posted by londonsean69 (Post 31722021)
Thank you all for the input.
The wife and I have decided to spend a day in JoBurg first.

Just make sure you don't have more than a day. Joburg is not a place to spend a lot of time.

ant_west Nov 10, 2019 11:50 am

I did it earlier this year doing LHR-JNB-WDH hand baggage only. I was in F on the flight to JNB so off quickly and as I remember it was quite a schlep to the transit desks - you go past the immigration hall and go down a long corridor where there were only a couple of desks open early in the morning - they check your passport and onward connection details then let you through into a transit hall with airline transit desks. If you have a boarding pass you can then leave the hall and then you go upstairs to the security channels before entering the departure area. It took me about 30 minutes from leaving the London flight to entering the SLOW lounge.