Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best use of Avios during flash sale?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2019, 12:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: Avios, TrueBlue, FlyingBlue, Mileage Plan, Bonvoy, World of Hyatt, AAdvantage
Best use of Avios during flash sale?

On the British Airways website https://www.britishairways.com/en-us...d-flight-offer it says we can use 50% fewer Avios for award bookings:

“Simply book a reward flight in our economy (World Traveller) or premium economy (World Traveller Plus) cabins before 21 November 2019, for travel between 7 November 2019 and 30 April 2020.”

They provide some sample routings from the US to London but none from the US and beyond London. Which BA destinations would be the best deal for someone in the US with lots of Avios who wants to see some exotic/far off places using BA? The Seychelles? Durban?
Old Nov 9, 2019, 1:08 am

Programs: BA GGL, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
I think a Golf Priority Reward To open up a seat that is otherwise only available with cash, over a holiday period for an extortionate amount!

e.g. LHR-KUL in WTP is selling £1400 out 28/12

With GPR the seat is effectively available for the standard Avios price irrespective of reward availability. In this case it’s 70000 Avios and £350ish in tax.
Old Nov 9, 2019, 1:37 am

Originally Posted by Foofighter69
I think a Golf Priority Reward To open up a seat that is otherwise only available with cash, over a holiday period for an extortionate amount!

e.g. LHR-KUL in WTP is selling £1400 out 28/12

With GPR the seat is effectively available for the standard Avios price irrespective of reward availability. In this case it’s 70000 Avios and £350ish in tax.
So Gold Priority rewards are for BAEC Gold members? And it makes even Business seats available but for twice the Avios? I was under the assumption that Gold members are only able to open up for travel in economy.
Old Nov 9, 2019, 1:50 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by bchang
So Gold Priority rewards are for BAEC Gold members? And it makes even Business seats available but for twice the Avios? I was under the assumption that Gold members are only able to open up for travel in economy.
There are two things I think you may be confusing.

Extra reward availability for golds in economy - where golds can book in to V selling class as well as the normal X selling class. This is all at the normal rate.
GPR - applies to all cabins on BA mainline flights, need to be booked more than 30 days before the flight, if there is a seat left in any revenue selling class you can book it by paying 2 x the normal avios rate.
Non Compos Mentis likes this.
Old Nov 9, 2019, 2:00 am

Originally Posted by KARFA
There are two things I think you may be confusing.

Extra reward availability for golds in economy - where golds can book in to V selling class as well as the normal X selling class. This is all at the normal rate.
GPR - applies to all cabins on BA mainline flights, need to be booked more than 30 days before the flight, if there is a seat left in any revenue selling class you can book it by paying 2 x the normal avios rate.
Thank you KARFA . Makes me realize that I have to go back and re-read the Wiki again. I had a recent experience with UuA and the phone agent confused me quite a bit (ticket wasn't re-issued, and many follow-ups about a week later to ticket).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.