Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Is it ever ok to go to different cabins on a plane?

Old Nov 8, 19, 10:15 am
Original Poster

Inspired by reading another thread. Whatís your opinion on people walking into different cabins on a plane?

Naturally this is more likely to happen with someone in say First going to see someone in Club World, or Club to Traveller etc. But surely, this in itself is disturbing to those who are traveling towards the rear of the plane?

Can people from WT go into WT+?
Iíve seen people from WT+ go through to CW loos..
Old Nov 8, 19, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
It’s to be discouraged, visiting lower cabins is ok but this should be passed by the crew so that they know they are not self upgraders.
Old Nov 8, 19, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Platinum & Ambassador
I'm a firm advocate of people staying in their allocated cabins.

Using toilets is the exception given the tendency of airlines to reduce their number on planes and people may not have the choice.
T8191, konagirl2, krispy84 and 3 others like this.
Old Nov 8, 19, 11:24 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, A3*G, Mucci de l'expertise des Apps
When on the A380 I always unclip the velvet rope and go to use the big washrooms to change!
Thomathy, ENTP and Vasco Pridat like this.
Old Nov 8, 19, 11:26 am

Programs: EC Blue, EB Silver, FB Gold
Iíve found the stairs a great place to keep circulation going.
Old Nov 8, 19, 11:28 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear View Post

Using toilets is the exception given the tendency of airlines to reduce their number on planes and people may not have the choice.
I agree, with the proviso that one should really need to go, not just find it inconvenient to wait for a bit.
Old Nov 8, 19, 11:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
On flights TO the USA, this violates FAA rules. Passengers are required to stay in their own cabins......<should be part of purser announcements at beginning of flight>.
jerseytom likes this.
Old Nov 8, 19, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
On flights TO the USA, this violates FAA rules. Passengers are required to stay in their own cabins......<should be part of purser announcements at beginning of flight>.
For US carriers yes. For the rest of the civilised world no.
Old Nov 8, 19, 11:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
It is actually a DHS rule (safety & security). While it is most often enforced in the breach, it is important to clear with CC.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Nov 8, 19, 11:41 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
FAA regulations not applicable on BA aircraft. Under 21's can also drink alcohol.
SKRan, KARFA and aidy like this.
Old Nov 8, 19, 11:49 am

Programs: EC Blue, EB Silver, FB Gold
Speaking of health & safety: wouldnít it improve your mental health to see how the other half livestock seated up front, and have the reverse effect if in the back?

On a serious note, I like to take a couple of strolls on longhaul flights. Itís also recommended from a health perspective to get circulation going. As aircraft are rather small (the 747 is only 70m, and the cabin is several metres shorter than that), I have no problem crossing into lower cabins if seated up front. I would not go into higher cabins, though.
SF1K likes this.
Old Nov 8, 19, 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by KARFA View Post
For US carriers yes. For the rest of the civilised world no.
In terms of air travel.....
Old Nov 8, 19, 12:12 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold; Hilton Gold, IHG Spire, Marriott Platinum, Wyndham Diamond
Originally Posted by RoyalSwazi View Post
Speaking of health & safety: wouldnít it improve your mental health to see how the other half livestock seated up front, and have the reverse effect if in the back?

On a serious note, I like to take a couple of strolls on longhaul flights. Itís also recommended from a health perspective to get circulation going. As aircraft are rather small (the 747 is only 70m, and the cabin is several metres shorter than that), I have no problem crossing into lower cabins if seated up front. I would not go into higher cabins, though.
This is also my approach. I do of course keep to myself as I do so, I don't go around trying to disturb other people, but then again, how would my going into the Y cabin be more disturbing than someone already there going for a walk? For the record, when travelling Y I'm usually too busy reading to even notice whether anyone is entering from another cabin or not.
Old Nov 8, 19, 12:33 pm

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear View Post

Iím going to be a snob and disagree, I pay ( yeah, real money) a lot to fly in the front. As far as Iím concerned one of my perks is NOT standing 10 minutes on line to pee! Most infuriating are those with an ďemergencyĒ but come out in changed clothing or wearing full makeup!
( this is a general comment, I donít fly BA)

Last edited by awayIgo; Nov 8, 19 at 12:33 pm Reason: Correct autocorrect
Old Nov 8, 19, 12:54 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
I seem to have no trouble restricting myself to whichever cabin (and associated facilities) is assigned to me by my boarding pass, and hence am always a little perplexed when others cannot do the same. There are occasional instances of (very inexperienced) travellers wandering innocently into a higher cabin, which is excusable ; but to do so in full knowledge strikes me as irritating and wholly unwarranted.

Search this Thread