Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Is it ever ok to go to different cabins on a plane?

Is it ever ok to go to different cabins on a plane?

Old Nov 8, 19, 4:07 pm

Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Classť, plus BAEC.
Originally Posted by FoxtrotOscar View Post
Whatís the view on situations where captain invites families into the cockpit during lengthy delays on tarmac? Iíve been on the receiving end of this in J to Orlando.

I guess itís a nice gesture but I didnít enjoy the extra company trotting up from behind the curtain.
I think you just have to grin and bear it.

You canít tell the Charlie Oscar to Foxtrot Oscar!
Oaxaca likes this.
Old Nov 8, 19, 4:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
As made clear, this has nothing to do with FAA. It is a DHS rule which applies to all commercial aircraft seeking to land in the US. BA agrees to those rules just as it imposes additional security requirements on flights (and some passengers) destined for the US.

As also noted, the rule is honored in the breach these days. But, it most certainly applies to BA on flights destined to the US.
It appears this "DHS rule" doesn't exist, see post 62 onwards

Has DHS done away with the rule about crossing cabins on US-bound int'l flights?
Old Nov 8, 19, 4:21 pm
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by Can I help you View Post
I think you honour yourself with the title Lady, Muck would be a more realistic description of what I have seen, although you do seem realise you are a cow and one that is way past milking age.
I did fancy you once - that much is true. Then I discovered that I needed glasses and the romance withered and died, To remain on topic - yes I lowered myself and went down class when I went out with you but that was then and you are history. You milked me dry. My Mother warned me and I knew best.

Still I am quite fond of you so run and get me a G&T and see if you can deliver it preferably before Christmas if it's all the same to you.
Old Nov 8, 19, 4:48 pm

Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
As made clear, this has nothing to do with FAA. It is a DHS rule which applies to all commercial aircraft seeking to land in the US. BA agrees to those rules just as it imposes additional security requirements on flights (and some passengers) destined for the US.

As also noted, the rule is honored in the breach these days. But, it most certainly applies to BA on flights destined to the US.
Just nonsense. There is no such rule.
henry999 likes this.
Old Nov 8, 19, 5:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear View Post
I'm a firm advocate of people staying in their allocated cabins.

Using toilets is the exception given the tendency of airlines to reduce their number on planes and people may not have the choice.
And note that in some cases the only handicapped toilet it is the high rent district.
Old Nov 8, 19, 11:38 pm

Flight from OGG - PDX I got asked before boarding to move from my aisle seat in economy to a window in extra-comfort on Alaska (Boeing 737). GA said free drinks so, of course, I agreed. I end up sitting next to two delightful but quite old and fragile ladies. After my 4th beer it's becoming apparent that I'm going to have to use the restroom at some point during the flight but it's quite a production for the two seated to my right to get in/out of their seats so I just figure I'll wait for them.

Well, drink cart rolls by, thus eliminating access to the peasant bathroom at the back of the plane for at least 20 minutes. The ladies make a break for the first class bathroom up front. This takes quite a while and is quite a spectacle. As the second one is slowly making her way back down the aisle the FA comes on with the stern reminder to stay in your area and use your own bathroom. So, being the rule follower that I am, I just sit there and let the two ladies get seated. I just couldn't ask them to get up again. It was quite a production for them to move. Needless to say by the time we landed at PDX I can't believe my bladder hadn't burst. I know I should have just asked them to move or just ignored the FA but there just didn't seem to be a good option.

So, what would you seasoned veteran travelers have done?
Old Nov 9, 19, 12:54 am

Programs: BA GGL (CCR), TK E (*G)
That's why I do not choose a window seat unless there is enough space to move out without bothering the people in the middle and aisle seat OR the flight time is less than 1h30m.
I made the window mistake once... never again.
In your case, I'm sorry for the ladies, but if nature calls then I am going to answer.

My opinion is the bathroom must be open to anyone if it's an emergency, regardless of cabin class provenience. I also usually stick to my cabin, and I'm not bothered by nearby traffic. It's loud talking that disturbs me, not movement.
Mordac likes this.
Old Nov 9, 19, 2:08 am

Programs: Mucci des Epices Exotiques, BAEC Gold,EK Gold,SPG,Marriott,Club Carlson
I was in the unusual situation on Landing at LHR from Kuwait where the captain invited families up. We were on a 744, UD, so they got a good tour of the plane too. We were delayed for nearly 3 hours waiting for a gate (snow delays)... I didnít mind too much as it broke the monotony (and I could hide behind the screen if I wanted privacy).

Originally Posted by FoxtrotOscar View Post
Whatís the view on situations where captain invites families into the cockpit during lengthy delays on tarmac? Iíve been on the receiving end of this in J to Orlando.

I guess itís a nice gesture but I didnít enjoy the extra company trotting up from behind the curtain.
flygirl68 likes this.
Old Nov 9, 19, 2:40 am

Programs: FB, BAEC, IHG, Hilton
On the odd occasion I use first and I have some of my kids on the flight (in Y of course - got to give them aspirations) the CSM has never complained when they pop up for 30 mins for a drink.
Old Nov 9, 19, 2:50 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by mtofell View Post
So, what would you seasoned veteran travelers have done?
What would I do?

1) Pay for a seat in row 1
2) Stick to sparkling water
3) When you've got to go.....

As for cranky old people, and I am pretty much one of them, they need regular things to complain about, so if you make a nuisance of yourself then actually it is in their best interests. Truly.
Cris L, flygirl68 and BarneyMcGrew like this.
Old Nov 9, 19, 4:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by Mordac View Post
This is also my approach. I do of course keep to myself as I do so, I don't go around trying to disturb other people, but then again, how would my going into the Y cabin be more disturbing than someone already there going for a walk? For the record, when travelling Y I'm usually too busy reading to even notice whether anyone is entering from another cabin or not.
I hated those curtain people.
Old Nov 9, 19, 5:33 am

One of the things I feel is inappropriate is travel bloggers who walk from F or J into economy to just film people in there for their blogs. Can't imagine it being acceptable the other way round.
flygirl68 and trains like this.
Old Nov 9, 19, 5:51 am

Programs: Virgin Flying Club
One of my favourite airline stories is flying VS from Manchester to Orlando in Upper Class when, in a flash of lightening speed, someone appeared from a lower cabin and said extremely quickly so I didnít know what they were saying until after Ďjust borrowing theseí and then nicked my salt and pepper off my table before disappearing back. They are shaped like little aeroplanes and sort of a gimmicky souvenir. He was absolutely rapid and I am still amused/horrified to this day.
trains and APUBleed like this.
Old Nov 9, 19, 8:00 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Plat Ambassador, HHonors Diamond; A3 *Nothing ; BA Exec. Club Gold; Flying Blue Ivory
At risk of destroying any reputation, if I had any left

I was lucky enough to snag an F seat (revenue) on the inaugural TG A380 from FRA to BKK. There is even a trip report down in the catacombs of the trip reports forum on FT.

Anyway during the flight I really liked to see the entire plane, and asked the crew of I could wander around. So I did.. from the top deck front F cabin, down the stairs, through the entire lower deck Economy section, up the stairs at the back, all the way to the front.. of course wearing my purple F pyjamas,.

Globalist
Old Nov 9, 19, 8:26 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by Malli1 View Post
One of my favourite airline stories is flying VS from Manchester to Orlando in Upper Class when, in a flash of lightening speed, someone appeared from a lower cabin and said extremely quickly so I didnít know what they were saying until after Ďjust borrowing theseí and then nicked my salt and pepper off my table before disappearing back. They are shaped like little aeroplanes and sort of a gimmicky souvenir. He was absolutely rapid and I am still amused/horrified to this day.
The cheek! He could have bought them on Ebay like everyone else.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: