FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Travelling with someone in different Cabins (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1994604-travelling-someone-different-cabins.html)

watsonville Nov 8, 2019 7:01 am

Travelling with someone in different Cabins

Hello,

I am travelling soonish with someone who is in economy. I (through Avios) have a Business class ticket. Neither of us have higher than Bronze status.

Is there any chance they'd let him into the lounge with me? (cheeky I know)
Or even, any chance if the seat is free next to me, that he could come up and chat for half hour or so.

Completely get this is cheeky and if he wanted to travel with me he should have coughed up points or £. But has anyone got any experience of similar?

BertieBadger Nov 8, 2019 7:07 am

Originally Posted by watsonville (Post 31714885)

I would say none at all. Unfortunately (and as you seem to appreciate) Business class tickets do not come with guesting privileges, unlike First tickets or entry via status.

Or even, any chance if the seat is free next to me, that he could come up and chat for half hour or so.
Again, I would say pretty small. Maybe not absolutely impossible but why not simply go back and sit with him if there is an empty seat. If not (and it's a long haul flight) offer his seat companion your seat for that period if you really need to chat.

Swanhunter Nov 8, 2019 7:15 am

No to lounge
No to empty seat

The general rule is that if travelling with someone in a lower class, you go and visit them, be that the airport terminal or onboard. The sole exception is in F where you can invite someone up for a drink or chat.

UKtravelbear Nov 8, 2019 7:16 am

What route?

pleople coming up for a ‘chat’ is down to the discretion of the CSM and depends on how full the flight is,

and remember it does annoy other passengers.

and I don’t see you swapping with some one down the back whilst you have a quick chat with your friend would be accepted either.

Mike P Nov 8, 2019 7:17 am

Originally Posted by watsonville (Post 31714885)
Hello,

I am travelling soonish with someone who is in economy. I (through Avios) have a Business class ticket. Neither of us have higher than Bronze status.

Completely get this is cheeky and if he wanted to travel with me he should have coughed up points or £. But has anyone got any experience of similar?

I suspect requesting either is likely to result in a no. You have no guesting privileges either through status or through class of travel so the lounge is almost certainly a no. I'd be inclined not to ask about either of these things if I were in your position.

BertieBadger Nov 8, 2019 7:25 am

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear (Post 31714940)
and I don’t see you swapping with some one down the back whilst you have a quick chat with your friend would be accepted either.

You may well be correct, and I forgot to add that I would only ask / co-ordinate this via the SCCM. The reason I mentioned long haul is in that case you are offering someone a clearly superior seat, so they might be happy to go lie down for half an hour. Of course, you could find them sleeping soundly on your return :D You raise good points about being respectful of other passengers.

I'd also add that it may be tempting to take a "no harm in asking" approach, and I've probably been guilty of saying that in the past. However, I've somewhat revised my opinion on that, and while there may be no great harm to you, it's probably both very irritating and very wearisome for the lounge guardians to be constantly turning away people who know they don't have access, so I'd say "don't be one of those people"

My only relevant personal experience was on a very lightly loaded CityFlyer flight, where I commented Mrs BertieB was down the back and the SCCM said she could come up and sit with me if she liked, but she would be getting my breakfast and I'd be getting nothing! (which is what transpired)

Often1 Nov 8, 2019 7:29 am

The general rule is that you go see your friend. Lots of places to have a cup of coffee or a drink at LHR and similarly, onboard if there is space in WT, you will likely be permitted to go see him.

Remember that even the latter is at the CC's discretion and you should first seek approval and try not to do this while there is service ongoing in CW, WT+ or WT.

TTmex Nov 8, 2019 7:31 am

Hi. No on the lounge, but on the plane just wander down to the galley (economy) at the back or wherever it is. Passengers regularly meet there for a glass of juice or a coffee. I enjoy chatting with the CC and they often appreciate the chat on some really long routes to pass the time when everyone is asleep or watching movies in the dark. There is normally a bit of space to sit or stand and still not get in the way. So a good place for a quiet chinwag and a brew for 30 mins then back to your seats.

Can I help you Nov 8, 2019 7:37 am

No to either.

Aussieshed Nov 8, 2019 10:34 am

For what it's worth I traveled back from Italy with four of my friends in October 2018 on BA. Two were flying BC and when we got to LHR, the other two got upgraded for nothing (lucky them), so all had lounge access other than me. One of them decided to ask if I could join them, and they said yes. Must of been an anomaly.

Finavia Nov 8, 2019 2:57 pm

I was traveling business from HEL to LHR and my friend in economy. I had reserved the last row in business and the seat next to me was empty. After meal service I asked if my friend could sit next to me for a while and the CSM granted my request and even offered a glass of champagne to him. So I guess there’s no harm in asking, maybe try to reserve the last row as it is more likely to be empty.

AlastairGordon Nov 9, 2019 7:28 am

I remember flying Virgin Upper Class in the early 90s, and my wife (girlfriend at the time) wasn’t flying but came to the airport to see me off, was allowed through security, and given a pass to the lounge to hang out with me there. Different and more innocent times.

Bluekjp Nov 9, 2019 9:29 am

I flew from Palma to London City and was sitting in 1A with seat 1B being empty. My chums were in Economy seats 17A/B. One of these chums just sleeps on the plane. The doors were closed and I smiled at the CC and beckoned her to sit next to me for a moment which she duly did. I then wryly whispered if there was any chance that my pal (the awake one) in 17A could sit next to me. She glared at me and said 'You know I can't do that...........yes. ok, but can't guarantee a meal'. I thanked her and reminded her that he was in 17A. She replied that she wasn't going to go and get him and that I would have to do it. I walked down the plane and whispered to him to calmly and without fuss follow me to the front row leaving his cabin bags behind with the other friend. He'd already sensed what was happening and complied. He did get his (first choice) meal and we drank champagne.
I hope that answers your question :)

Misco60 Nov 9, 2019 11:17 am

Originally Posted by Bluekjp (Post 31718938)
I flew from Palma to London City and was sitting in 1A with seat 1B being empty. My chums were in Economy seats 17A/B. One of these chums just sleeps on the plane. The doors were closed and I smiled at the CC and beckoned her to sit next to me for a moment which she duly did. I then wryly whispered if there was any chance that my pal (the awake one) in 17A could sit next to me. She glared at me and said 'You know I can't do that...........yes. ok, but can't guarantee a meal'. I thanked her and reminded her that he was in 17A. She replied that she wasn't going to go and get him and that I would have to do it. I walked down the plane and whispered to him to calmly and without fuss follow me to the front row leaving his cabin bags behind with the other friend. He'd already sensed what was happening and complied. He did get his (first choice) meal and we drank champagne.
I hope that answers your question :)

If true, that's a pretty shabby way to treat the friend you both left behind in economy.

KARFA Nov 9, 2019 11:23 am

The doors were closed and I smiled at the CC and beckoned her to sit next to me for a moment which she duly did. I then wryly whispered if there was any chance that my pal (the awake one) in 17A could sit next to me. She glared at me and said 'You know I can't do that...........yes. ok, but can't guarantee a meal'.
This sounds incredibly cringeworthy.