Wiki Posts
Search

Advice needed: Lost iPad in F

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2019, 3:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, *A Gold, Marriott Ambassador
Advice needed: Lost iPad in F

I was on BA27 in F to HKG on Thursday 31 October. In a hurry to grab a connecting flight from HKG I left my iPad in the clothes cabinet of the seat.

Once I reached my onward destination, I emailed JASG (the local lost property handler for BA) who claimed that it had not been handed in at HKG. I then emailed Bagport a couple of days later in the hope that it had been overlooked by the cleaning company at HKG and returned to LHR on that evening's return. Sadly not.

What are my options here? Are there internal BA people that I should e-mail? It's not the value of the iPad that matters to me, it's confidential documents that were not cloud based that are stored on the iPad which matter. I find it hard to stomach that it just went 'missing' from the plane when the only people who walk through the F cabin on the 380 are F pax and the cleaning company.

Thanks in advance.
Old Nov 8, 2019, 3:43 am

Programs: BA Bronze SPG
Hi Harthwirt

Have you got the 'Find my iPad' setting on. At least you can narrow down its location.

Hope you find it soon. FWIW my iPhone fell out of my bag on a long distance bus. Find my phone had been turned off. I got my OH to eventually text my phone and the person saw the notification and immediately phoned back. It was with bus company. If you've got notifications turned on - maybe send an alert with contact details?
Old Nov 8, 2019, 3:45 am
Original Poster

That function is turned on, however it is a wi-fi only device, thus it only activates if the device is connected to the wi-fi. I have tried to locate it various times over the past week, however it always states that the device is offline for the aforementioned reasons.
Old Nov 8, 2019, 3:48 am

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
I wouldn’t worry about the documents, assuming you had an appropriate passcode set
Old Nov 8, 2019, 3:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
When did you last call, I would call back it can take some time before missing items enter the system?
Old Nov 8, 2019, 3:52 am

It's probably gone forever, but I suspect that whoever has it has already reset it to factory settings so your data is safe. Did you have a passcode on it?
Old Nov 8, 2019, 3:57 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Can I help you
When did you last call, I would call back it can take some time before missing items enter the system?
I tried both companies again yesterday to no avail.

On the password question, it requires passcode and thumb print, so I have no concerns in that regard.
Old Nov 8, 2019, 4:03 am

Programs: BAEC
Would the documents not be available through iCloud? Or were they stored in a 3rd party?

Sorry to hear you lost it. It’s a pain. I hope it turns up.
Old Nov 8, 2019, 4:11 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Remote wipe it. You probably won't see it again, sadly. Sorry.
Old Nov 8, 2019, 4:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
I know it’s a pain when it happens but if it was found ba would indeed either contact you directly based on seat number or leave it with the airport lost and found. It can of course take a short time to be correctly registered there etc. Incidentally whether you were in F or Y makes absolutely no difference to the process.
Old Nov 8, 2019, 4:16 am

Have you tried this site?

https://www.missingx.com/

my son got his iPad back from a BA flight using it.

worth a go.
Old Nov 8, 2019, 4:17 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by orbitmic
I know it’s a pain when it happens but if it was found ba would indeed either contact you directly based on seat number or leave it with the airport lost and found. It can of course take a short time to be correctly registered there etc. Incidentally whether you were in F or Y makes absolutely no difference to the process.
I disagree, but only insofar as someone is actually like to open the locker, whereas I doubt all Y setback pockets are actively checked.

Last edited by LondonElite; Nov 8, 2019 at 4:47 am
Old Nov 8, 2019, 4:33 am

Programs: BA Gold
Hope you have success finding the iPad!

i lost a garmin fenix travelling across US on AA, think it was SDF-CLT. Tried all the usual lost properties, the airline and airport security (lost property). Nothing.

Then 4 months later someone got in touch via Garmin saying my watch was found in a seat on its way to Washington.

They must have checked with Garmin where the watch was registered, but the strange thing is I bought it off Ebay and never registered it myself.

they very kindly sent it onto our US office for me to collect on my next travels.
Pittie Pup likes this.
Old Nov 8, 2019, 4:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Having done something very similar at HKG -albeit with NZ some years ago - I would try and find time to report it lost with the airport police office if you are passing back through. I then had a pleasant surprise as their station manager had stored in his safe and presented to me at check in for the return. Don’t lose hope yet!
Old Nov 8, 2019, 5:58 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by orbitmic
I disagree on that last point. The footfall through F is limited, to the extent that it takes away the likelihood that another pax would have taken it. Further, one would hope that the level of attention to cleaning in the F cabin would be such that it would be almost impossible to overlook an iPad when cleaning the cabin.

Originally Posted by Tottie66
Have you tried this site?

https://www.missingx.com/

my son got his iPad back from a BA flight using it.

worth a go.
Sadly already tried to no avail. This website is where Bagport links you too and they came back yesterday to say that they didn't have it.

Thanks all for the feedback, if I get any positive news, I will update the thread accordingly!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.