Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Calling it a day with BA

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2019, 12:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Cher Madame, I’m surprised you recognised the reference ... surely before your time?

Anyway, as you say, we all have our perspectives. We find BA “OK” for our s/h and l/h purposes. Nothing to get excited about, but it’s basically safe and reliable ... if a bit inconsistent.

But our next booking to the US of A may well be with AA for the TATL, once I’ve unravelled the Matrix options. We have found them ‘a bit better’ with both hard and soft product. I reserve judgement on the ME3 until I’ve flown QR in 10 days’ time!
Old Nov 8, 2019, 1:27 pm

Programs: BA Silver Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci.
I think CE and particularly Domestic CE have improved since the revamp of catering

PE has always been disappointing with one exception of upper deck 380 to HKG

CW seems to have gone down since the new catering as the service has become to slow and unable to have repeated checks and top ups in passengers ; and they have backtracked in many of the innovations

FIRST is really where club used to be and is good at this level

Generally BA appears to be trying ; club suite etc
Old Nov 8, 2019, 2:38 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold but PlatPro thanks to LPs
Originally Posted by unspoilt_princess
I guess I have come here (one last time) to lament. After three months of solid travel with BA and becoming a newly minted Silver, I’m done. Here’s why: ...
Goodbye, Cruel Airline.
Old Nov 8, 2019, 5:57 pm

Location: All over the place often South Wales and Lake District
Programs: BA Gold for Life Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by jerseytom
If you're served a meal and there's mold growing on it, it's inedible. If it's just something you don't care for, that's another story.
OI! I like a bit of stilton - perfectly edible mould!
rapidex likes this.
Old Nov 8, 2019, 5:59 pm

Programs: BA LTG, SQ TPPS, CX DMP, AA EXP, Bonvoy LTT, ALL PLT, Hilton DM
Since I fly a lot of OW RTW tickets, I need to stick to OW for London to Europe. 90% I take AA and find their service more consistent and better than BA now.
Old Nov 8, 2019, 9:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
[QUOTE=TWCLAM;31713460As a middle aged man I have experienced CC who have near turned up their noses up in disgust that I should be sat in the J or F cabin

I've literally had "ughhh what do you want" when having the audacity to press the call bell

On LH's it's started right at the door with the ever 'fun' experience of going to turn left, CC subtly placing themselves in the way to obstruct me

of all my flights with BA I've taken one sector in economy every other flight S or LH has been in J or F

[/QUOTE]

Just wondering why it is you believe you are singled out for such odd treatment. I say "odd" because I travel a heavily in a heady mix of economy and business, share your demographic profile, and I have never, ever experienced anything remotely similar to what you describe. Sometimes cabin crew can be lazy, lackadaisical and forgetful - but never, so far, downright rude or offensive.

If you've only ever taken one flight in economy, then you should be an extraordinarily attractive customer for any carrier: perhaps you really should cut your losses and move on.
Old Nov 8, 2019, 10:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Originally Posted by Lefly
I guess hardly is a very subjective word. I basically never saw anything on LH group where J was less than double the price in Y...
Absolutely does happen, I fly mostly on LH P fares, Intra EU & they are barely more than Y , I have even bought them when they were cheaper than Y.
Old Nov 8, 2019, 10:49 pm

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
Originally Posted by chris63
Absolutely does happen, I fly mostly on LH P fares, Intra EU & they are barely more than Y , I have even bought them when they were cheaper than Y.
Then mine is a very wrong departure point...
Old Nov 9, 2019, 3:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Exec
Originally Posted by scubadu
This is a very important point which I think most don't acknowledge/understand. I have the same assumption about PE as you and thus I'm usually not disappointed when I fly PE. However, many, many FTers seem to think PE is more like J than more like economy and this flawed assumption leads to disappointment.

Regards
In my view, it needs to be somewhere in the middle. It is its own product and comes in, most of the time, at a much higher price than economy. Airlines must justify the price. I think American's product is rather ideal: comfy, leather seats, a substantial pillow and good, consistent service throughout. Same with Virgin. Their touch of adding hot chocolate with brandy in a real, full-size mug is cute, relaxing and the kind of extra touch that hits that in between spot (for me).
Old Nov 9, 2019, 3:10 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by scubadu
This is a very important point which I think most don't acknowledge/understand. I have the same assumption about PE as you and thus I'm usually not disappointed when I fly PE. However, many, many FTers seem to think PE is more like J than more like economy and this flawed assumption leads to disappointment.

Regards
Originally Posted by MickV
Ok, its Friday. I'll bite.
The two bolded parts of your first statement really dont seem to gel together. Three months of solid travel with BA in the cabins youre talking about should be a little more than Silver. Is it possible youve had one or two bad trips and thats the height of it and you felt like a grumble on an internet forum?

As for the fly American bit, well good luck with that intra-eu. From my perspective the club europe cabin has improved quite a bit this past year. Seat aside.
I travel in a mix of classes - I'm not the lucky 'J' all the time folk.
Old Nov 9, 2019, 3:19 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by QueenOfCoach
Goodbye, Cruel Airline.
As I said, I came here to lament.
Old Nov 9, 2019, 4:18 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Originally Posted by unspoilt_princess
In my view, it needs to be somewhere in the middle. It is its own product and comes in, most of the time, at a much higher price than economy. Airlines must justify the price. I think American's product is rather ideal: comfy, leather seats, a substantial pillow and good, consistent service throughout. Same with Virgin. Their touch of adding hot chocolate with brandy in a real, full-size mug is cute, relaxing and the kind of extra touch that hits that in between spot (for me).
hot chocolate and brandy is available on CE if you ask for it.
Old Nov 9, 2019, 5:17 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Gatwick Alan
The comments about being treated less well as a younger female are interesting, my partner who is younger than me has noticed it too. When she flew back from PHX with me in first last year she commented how much better the service was that I received compared to hers.

In fairness she has noticed this on AA too.

I wonder if it is because she is young looking for her age and is fairly petite and thus easy to ignore. She is also fairly quiet spoken and undemanding.

I cant believe it is sexist behaviour as this has occurred from male and female crew, but there must be a reason as a couple of posters upthread have noticed it too.
I'm in a male dominated industry and I have seen quite a lot of sexism in my job. Unfortunately the worst of it is from other women.
nancypants likes this.
Old Nov 9, 2019, 5:58 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Platinum; Hilton Gold, IHG Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Wyndham Diamond
Originally Posted by Gig103
I can't help but wonder how AA is going to fix your Club Europe complaints. And I for one very much appreciate that blocked middle when I fly.
Edit: I think KLM gives extra legroom in their CE equivalent.

But yeah for business class, AA seats are better than BA. Possibly the PE too? I haven't flown it.
Seat comfort is of course subjective, but I find all the BA PE seats I've tried to be better than the AA ones. IFE not included in this judgment, as ofc the AA offer will be superior to the older BA versions, but it's not something I care a lot about anyway, as I prefer to read during my flights.
Old Nov 9, 2019, 6:44 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
Originally Posted by Lefly
Then mine is a very wrong departure point...
yeah you need to move to London!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.