LHR/SYD Flight Advice

Old Nov 7, 2019, 5:42 am
Original Poster

LHR/SYD Flight Advice

Looking at a future trip travelling in F, one of the options is BA27 LHR/HKG arriving at 1655 and departing on QF128 at 1820, that seems awfully tight to me - any advice appreciated. Looking at that option simply to enjoy the A380 from LHR and a change of scenery to a Qantas A380 from HKG. Will be a paid trip to gain tier points.
Old Nov 7, 2019, 5:56 am

If you are after TP, then going via SIN gives a few more than going via HKG, providing you change flights at SIN. Tight connections should only be a worry if you make independeny bookings for multiple legs.
Old Nov 7, 2019, 5:58 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
It's a long way, so there is an advantage in completing the trip expediently, even in First, to reduce the impact of jet-lag. If this is on one ticket and the BA service is on time, then you will make the connection very easily and may have 30 minutes in the nearest lounge too. The only reason I would change this is if it was more critical for me to make the second service rather than the first (e.g. a third flight from SYD or an important meeting). If it is more like "a bit of a nuisance" if you ended up being re-scheduled on to a later service then I'd take the risk, but if you really hate the sound of that, then by all means build in a bigger connection at HKG or depart earlier from London. But as a connection on a single ticket I would regard that as about right (or even too long!).
DiamondMile and Cymro like this.
Old Nov 7, 2019, 6:05 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
As C-W-S said, if this is all on one ticket, then no problem with the connection time. You will be protected in case of any delays.
For comparison, I am doing a 55 minute connection in HKG next week and not worried. If this is your preferred combination of flights, then I would say to just go for it - HKG is an easy connection point as well
Cymro likes this.
Old Nov 7, 2019, 6:06 am

Programs: BA Silver AA Lifetime Gold
When are you going?
Speculation here that the A380 may go from HKG-SYD.

Spike
Old Nov 7, 2019, 6:31 am
Original Poster

Useful link, thanks - we are also aiming for March 2020. Very helpful comments thank you all ad we will be on a one ticket.
Old Nov 7, 2019, 1:41 pm

Programs: BA - Gold, EK - Gold
If you are flying to gain TP why not book Qantas and fly on Emirates First?

You get BA tier points and you get a much better experience.

I do the turn around at DXB in under 1hr. It is the shortest flight available.

I find it much more pleasant than flying BA and then swapping to Qantas at Singapore. Plus the lounge at Singapore is so poor - only 1 hot dish selection in the Qantas lounge and the BA one is just a tiny buffet.

Whereas the one at DXB is immense especially when you find the sushi counter!
DelTroon likes this.
Old Nov 7, 2019, 1:42 pm

Plus the last time I did the Singapore route they lost my luggage!!
Old Nov 7, 2019, 3:11 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver/OW Sapphire
Coincidentally I booked the same LHR-HKG-SYD flights today and whilst the connection time is a little tight, because the published flight time to HKG is 13 hours, if you’re a few minutes late out of LHR, the lost time is usually made up before arriving in to HKG.

See the recent history here https://www.flightradar24.com/data/flights/ba27
Old Nov 7, 2019, 4:23 pm

Originally Posted by thatflyer
If you are flying to gain TP why not book Qantas and fly on Emirates First?
I second this. EK is a FAR better choice to do LHR-SYD in F.
Old Nov 7, 2019, 5:21 pm

Originally Posted by thatflyer
Plus the lounge at Singapore is so poor - only 1 hot dish selection in the Qantas lounge and the BA one is just a tiny buffet.

Whereas the one at DXB is immense especially when you find the sushi counter!
While I agree the spread at DXB is extensive, it’s not quite true that there’s only one hot dish at QF lounge in SIN. There are usually 2-3 hot dishes to self serve, plus a soup, and the kitchen counter has 2 hot dishes that are prepared on order.
nivsy likes this.
Old Nov 8, 2019, 7:50 am

Originally Posted by carrotjuice
While I agree the spread at DXB is extensive, it’s not quite true that there’s only one hot dish at QF lounge in SIN. There are usually 2-3 hot dishes to self serve, plus a soup, and the kitchen counter has 2 hot dishes that are prepared on order.

Sorry yes you are right.

There are more which are buffet style self-served and two hot dishes prepared on order. But on the most recent occasions, I found them rather lacklustre...

It is a shame there is just no First lounge with a better offering.
Old Nov 8, 2019, 7:56 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
A lot here depends on how important your arrival schedule is. It goes without saying that if you misconnect, you will be rebooked. But, what does that delay mean? An important meeting or a more convenient hotel arrival?

In any event, I would not make my choices based on how hot the soup in the lounge is.
Old Nov 8, 2019, 8:30 am

Programs: "Only" 50,000 TPs until BA GGLfL
I'll third the recommendation of Booking the Qantas codeshare flight numbers on Emirates. A significantly better product in F than BA or QF and still earns you BA tier Points. If you fancy saving a few thousand pounds, you can book Stockholm to Sydney for approx £4,500 roundtrip in First on the Qantas codes Emirates flights and then spend £100-200 taking BA to and from Stockholm.
Old Nov 8, 2019, 8:39 am

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle.
QR may also be worth a look, A380 and A350 900/1000 with just over an hour connection in Doha (great airport, great lounges. Should be able to work it to get Q Suite on those also.

They seem to have options for morning or evening arrivals in Sydney.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.