Change a BA flight booked on AA Miles

Old Nov 6, 19, 3:14 pm
Original Poster

Change a BA flight booked on AA Miles

If I use AA miles to book partner BA flights, will I be able to change the itinerary later by contacting BA? Or must I go through AA?
Old Nov 6, 19, 4:01 pm

Programs: British Airways Gold
Contact AA
Old Nov 6, 19, 8:34 pm

AA issues the ticket so you have to go through them.
Old Nov 6, 19, 8:51 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The ticketing carrier is always responsible for any changes to the ticket, other than on the day of travel and even then only in IRROPS.
Old Nov 7, 19, 12:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
The ticketing carrier is always responsible for any changes to the ticket, other than on the day of travel and even then only in IRROPS.
Thanks, everyone. I sort of knew my own answer but wanted to ask, because of this situation that happened to me several times. I use AA miles to book J seats on BA flights from LHR to LAX.

Using the cheaper sAAver miles, I'm typically routed LHR-IAH-LAX or LHR-BOS-LAX or even LHR-YYZ-LAX, etc. When I get to LHR, they usually have room on one of their nonstops, LHR-LAX. So I ask and they change me to that flight, and BA does not charge me any change fee. Obviously, BA can make this change on the day of the flight, but I was hoping to get it taken care of well beforehand. Seems like I cannot.
Old Nov 7, 19, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by cheaptom View Post
Thanks, everyone. I sort of knew my own answer but wanted to ask, because of this situation that happened to me several times. I use AA miles to book J seats on BA flights from LHR to LAX.

Using the cheaper sAAver miles, I'm typically routed LHR-IAH-LAX or LHR-BOS-LAX or even LHR-YYZ-LAX, etc. When I get to LHR, they usually have room on one of their nonstops, LHR-LAX. So I ask and they change me to that flight, and BA does not charge me any change fee. Obviously, BA can make this change on the day of the flight, but I was hoping to get it taken care of well beforehand. Seems like I cannot.
Of course you can -- if you can find a SAAver seat on the better flight at aa.com. And AA will not charge you anything for the change, even if you make it a day or two before the ticketed award flight.
Old Nov 7, 19, 7:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA GLD
What guv1976 said. And to further clarify -as far as "saaver seat" awards on AA, they come out of the same bucket that BA awards come out of.

One caveat when booking AA tickets - they can take a while (hours, days, up to a week even) to actually issue an e-ticket, relative to BA or really any other airline. You need to ensure that if you make a change to an award, that it *actually* tickets (AA will send a confirmatory email with the e-ticket number).

See https://viewfromthewing.com/always-w...e-sure-ticket/ for further info.
Old Nov 7, 19, 7:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by guv1976 View Post
Of course you can -- if you can find a SAAver seat on the better flight at aa.com. And AA will not charge you anything for the change, even if you make it a day or two before the ticketed award flight.
Thanks. Typically, the flights I'm trying to get on never show up at the sAAver rate. But I'll keep my eyes open. The day-of BA desk agents have been able to change it anyway, even when online shows no sAAver availability.

The first time, I didn't even ask for the change. I had an unrelated question, and the agent asked me, "Why did AA schedule you a connection? There's plenty of Business seats on the next nonstop, and you have plenty of time. Want me to switch you?" Uhhhh, yes please! The next few times, I came right out and asked, and got the same result.
Old Nov 7, 19, 7:46 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR; AA LT Gold; AS 75K; DL MM SM aka dirt; Hyatt G*list, Hilton Diamond; SPG Gold, TK Elite
Originally Posted by cheaptom View Post
Thanks. Typically, the flights I'm trying to get on never show up at the sAAver rate. But I'll keep my eyes open. The day-of BA desk agents have been able to change it anyway, even when online shows no sAAver availability.

The first time, I didn't even ask for the change. I had an unrelated question, and the agent asked me, "Why did AA schedule you a connection? There's plenty of Business seats on the next nonstop, and you have plenty of time. Want me to switch you?" Uhhhh, yes please! The next few times, I came right out and asked, and got the same result.
I'm actually surprised they have done that for you. When I've asked for similar changes at the galleries F desk, the answer I've been given is that AA has to make the changes.
jerry a. laska likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: