Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Flash Avios Sale... devaluation on the cards. ??????

Old Nov 6, 2019, 11:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT

As being reported on a few of the blogs tomorrow BA launch an Avios sale with 50%fewer miles needed for Wt and WT+ and 10% reduction on on J & F seats.

UK departures and travel 7 Nov to 30 April.

is this a sweetener pre further industrial action or sign of a forthcoming devaluation or just BA being kind?
Old Nov 6, 2019, 11:25 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
Since the taxes and fees on economy redemptions are oftern higher than low season cash fares it doesn't really make any difference. May as well just offer a 100% avios discount....
Robespierre, lsquare, mhrb and 1 others like this.
Old Nov 6, 2019, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by KeaneJohn

is this a sweetener pre further industrial action or sign of a forthcoming devaluation or just BA being kind?
None of the above.

Low season... fill empty seats... you won't actually find any more J/F award space (that probably went at T-330)
T8191 and argonath like this.
Old Nov 6, 2019, 12:23 pm
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
It could also be, for whatever reason, IAG wants to strengthen its balance sheet by reducing some of its liabilities - which Avois balances are, and in theory they can be redeemed on demand.
Old Nov 6, 2019, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
As with all of BAs recent Sales, it looks like the usual shifting inventory and filling a few selected seats on certain routes.

Frankly, I take almost no notice of BA Sales these days, unless this community says its worth looking.

Anyway, booked over those dayes already
mhrb likes this.
Old Nov 6, 2019, 12:33 pm

Programs: BAEC
Havent we had one of these sales before? So I cant see its part of some future devaluation, just another enticement to get bums on seats and recycle Avios
tynmar likes this.
Old Nov 6, 2019, 12:33 pm

Programs: Seigneur des Tarifs Utils First Class Mucci with Honours :) - BA GGL / CCR
As being reported on a few of the blogs tomorrow BA launch an Avios sale with 50%fewer miles needed for Wt and WT+ and 10% reduction on on J & F seats.

Same offer as last summer except this time includes J and F nothing to worry about
Old Nov 6, 2019, 12:45 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
I have never found any worthwhile savings on any of the routes I am likely to book... which is a pity because each time there is a sale I look and get all excited only to be disappointed. I don't really take much notice of BA sales now tbh.
T8191, ppp909, mhrb and 1 others like this.
Old Nov 6, 2019, 12:51 pm

Credit to GSTP - https://www.godsavethepoints.com/ba-...romo-nov-2019/
mikeyfly likes this.
Old Nov 6, 2019, 1:11 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
With higher-margin cash bookings depressed by winter, general Brexit uncertainty, business confidence (and therefore spending) trending ever lower, continued financial stress on the average customer, and many other things pushing the ability to get cash for seats, BA may as well reduce its Avios liabilities and keep aircraft loads up. Remember, any bum on a seat comes with ancillary revenues so even if the profit on the actual Avios ticket is nil, the ancillary revenues will increase cashflow and profit.

is this ... just BA being kind?
You 'av got to be 'avin a giraffe.
T8191 likes this.
Old Nov 6, 2019, 1:18 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
Originally Posted by ajeleonard
Since the taxes and fees on economy redemptions are oftern higher than low season cash fares it doesn't really make any difference. May as well just offer a 100% avios discount....
That’s certainly true with return fares but in the past I’ve scored some decent (if not earth shattering) value from these sales with 1-way redemptions.
Old Nov 6, 2019, 1:41 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by snaxmuppet
................. I don't really take much notice of BA sales now tbh.
They’re about as commonplace as DFS Sofa sales these days
(and usually just as exciting .......☺️)
Old Nov 6, 2019, 1:54 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by rockflyertalk
Havent we had one of these sales before? So I cant see its part of some future devaluation, just another enticement to get bums on seats and recycle Avios
Yes, there is usually - at about this time - an Avios in WT or WTP deal. I think my ORD flight in WT was one of these, when I paid 160 plus 5,000 Avios and ended up in CW anyway. See my previous suggestion that BA/IAG is keen to get a bit of decent cash in before Christmas. Passim: the imaginary Joker, flash sales LGW and BA Holidays, 49 Pougs, 50 off corporate customers, corporate F deals for CW bookings if paid now.....
rockflyertalk and bisonrav like this.
Old Nov 6, 2019, 2:17 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
Might be handy for me.

I can say fly soon on a cheap 270ish fare to the US (booking the return in say 6 months times) and come back for perhaps 13k Avios (6.5k if 50% off) + 72 if I want to avoid a Saturday night stay.

Hong Kong was good during the last Avios sale.
Old Nov 6, 2019, 2:28 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Would this apply to upgrades as well? So halve the price of an avios upgrade from Y to W?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.