Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Flash Avios Sale... devaluation on the cards. ??????

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flash Avios Sale... devaluation on the cards. ??????

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2019, 11:51 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Spire
Few thoughts/questions on this:
1. “This offer cannot be used in conjunction with any other offer, promotion or deal, including but not limited to … bookings made with any other vouchers, travel class upgrades and any British Airways staff friends and family offers (for example, Hotlines).”

This makes it sound like all vouchers are excluded – do we have explicit confirmation from BA that the 241 can be used (even tho the T&CS seem to forbid it)?

2. While the Lloyds voucher is likely excluded because of both T&C's above plus that you have to book through the Avios call center and not BA, it is interesting in theory to consider what Avios discount would be for a WTP -> Club upgrade – would you get 10% or 50%….

3. Same as post above: could I book on available dates in March now and down the line change to Summer 2020? Would they ask for the extra avios or just not do the change?
​​​​​​
​​
Old Nov 6, 2019, 11:59 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by go_around

1. Book directly with British Airways (BA) between 7 November 2019 and 21 November 2019 for travel between 7 November 2019 and 30 April 2020. This offer applies to both peak and off-peak Avios prices and can be booked by any British Airways Executive Club member logged into their account and with a sufficient Avios balance.

Can I book flights within the offer period, then later pay a change fee to change my flights to after the offer period, e.g. Summer or Autumn 2020?
You could buy they will charge the avios rate for the new flights (same as they would if changed from a off-peak to a peak date)
Old Nov 7, 2019, 12:07 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, UA2MM, QF Platinum, VA Platinum., Volare Executive Club
Was looking at CAI-LHR in Y for 5000 Avios + £ 63.03 on 26 March. Seems a pretty good deal (apart from the 787).
Old Nov 7, 2019, 12:22 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by Flexible preferences
I don't think you are fairly comparing like with like. The cash ticket will have much less flexibility.than the Avios ticket.
You make a fair point (and similarly xenole, in post #28). Avios tickets are indeed a worthwhile option where change / refund might become a factor.

My example was more about highlighting the longstanding consensus that straight redemptions (as opposed to UUA) generally offer poor value for Avios ; and that being the case, the special offer only makes such redemptions marginally ‘less poor’ value, as it were.
Old Nov 7, 2019, 1:21 am

I was planning on a trip to Muscat in January using the 2-4-1. I've tried a dummy booking without the voucher and there's definitely the 10% reduction, but it's not giving me the reduction on the 2-4-1 voucher. Hey ho.
Old Nov 7, 2019, 3:03 am

Programs: Virgin Flying Club Red, Emirates Skywards Blue, BA Executive Club Blue, Amex BA
My F reward flight from LHr-KUL is reduced from 18,880 to 12938! how long will that last?
Old Nov 7, 2019, 3:41 am

Programs: BAEC. Gold
Originally Posted by subject2load
The GSTP headline describes this as an “amazing offer” ....... and in many ways you could say he’s right.

You can fly LHR to JFK for a quick w/end break (in say, January) using Avios plus a cash element of taxes + quaintly-named carrier charges of £264.

OR ...... you could just buy a straight cash ticket (same dates, but zero avios) at £278.

Yep, amazing
And you will earn TP and Avios on the cash ticket

You could also use the number of Avios that you would have used on the full redemption ticket, to further reduce the cash cost, by doing the part pay with Avios..
After all you would have spent those Avios on the redemption ticket plus £264...

Surely making it considerably cheaper
subject2load likes this.
Old Nov 7, 2019, 4:08 am

Programs: BAEC
Does anyone know what this means? It’s taken from the Avios promo info page...

Old Nov 7, 2019, 5:22 am

Programs: BA GGL
It's an offer they've done many times before. At the moment I suspect it's due to BA requiring more cash due to the impact of the strike. Don't think of it as a kindness, the WT taxes are often ridiculous when you compare to the paid fare.
Old Nov 7, 2019, 5:24 am

Programs: BA GGL
Sadly the WT to WTP upgrade price remains the same, as I discovered this morning. Couldn't see anything in the Ts&Cs regarding this.
Old Nov 7, 2019, 5:36 am

Originally Posted by mmxbreaks
Sadly the WT to WTP upgrade price remains the same, as I discovered this morning. Couldn't see anything in the Ts&Cs regarding this.
Reduced Avios tariffs for cabin upgrades would undoubtedly be very attractive to a good percentage of BAEC members ; which, I suspect, explains why BA have chosen to exclude this sort of option from the offer.
Old Nov 7, 2019, 5:37 am

duplicate
Old Nov 7, 2019, 5:54 am

most of the people here are bashing this promo, and I totally understand the cynical attitude towards BA in general as the bean-counting management has made many customer-unfriendly changes, not to mention how they treat staff (mixed-fleet crew, pilot strikes etc) despite record profits but thats a discussion for another thread.
however, there are individual situations where this makes sense, if one wants to maximize bang for buck...
I just downgraded my upcoming Club award for WT, slashing my Avios spend from 70k to 12k, plus reducing my taxes from $300++ to $200.
The revenue ticket would have been $2200 one-way and $1400 return, in WT!
Yes, I will be slumming it back in WT, but the increased value I get out of my Avios makes it worthwhile in my book and the saved Avios can be used towards another award.
Old Nov 7, 2019, 6:09 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by rosenkavalier
most of the people here are bashing this promo, and I totally understand the cynical attitude towards BA in general as the bean-counting management has made many customer-unfriendly changes, not to mention how they treat staff (mixed-fleet crew, pilot strikes etc) despite record profits but thats a discussion for another thread.
however, there are individual situations where this makes sense, if one wants to maximize bang for buck...
I just downgraded my upcoming Club award for WT, slashing my Avios spend from 70k to 12k, plus reducing my taxes from $300++ to $200.
The revenue ticket would have been $2200 one-way and $1400 return, in WT!
Yes, I will be slumming it back in WT, but the increased value I get out of my Avios makes it worthwhile in my book and the saved Avios can be used towards another award.
Well Said you! At last someone here who shows economic sense. I salute you!

As for slumming it, the people in WT will envy you, and the people in CW won't even notice.
rosenkavalier likes this.
Old Nov 7, 2019, 8:43 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
LHR-HKG is pretty good for me
Something like 19.5k Avios and £270.

Extra £30 if you start in say MAN, but DUB etc. increases the Avios a lot.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.