FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   What's going on with CAI? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1994158-whats-going-cai.html)

SkyTeem Nov 4, 2019 11:58 pm

What's going on with CAI?

Anyone know what the deal is with BA 155/154 these days? It was supposed to be transitioned from Air Belgium over to Titan Airways, but for the past few days it's been operated by BA in the 787 (at least according to FlightAware). Yesterday it was back to Air Belgium. Anyone have any information?

benmacd Nov 5, 2019 12:59 am

No 787s have been operating recently to CAI on the BA154/155, only the Air Belgium A340. See FR24 (which btw is more accurate than FlightAware): https://www.flightradar24.com/data/flights/ba155

On the 7th it switches to the TItan A321.

Airprox Nov 5, 2019 1:55 am

The brief discussion is here:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...-cairo-cw.html

As benmadc says, Air Belgium was extended until the 7th and Titan take over from then in a WTP + WT config.

Fly_IAD Dec 17, 2019 9:35 am

another aircraft change?

Originally Posted by Airprox (Post 31702627)
The brief discussion is here:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...-cairo-cw.html

As benmadc says, Air Belgium was extended until the 7th and Titan take over from then in a WTP + WT config.

Just got notification that my flight to Cairo has been changed from 787 to A321 departing LHR on 2/17. Traveling in CW and no indication of a change but when I look on ba.com it seems flights are unavailable for sale from 2/15 to 2/24. Anybody know what is going on?

NA-Flyer Dec 17, 2019 10:09 am

Originally Posted by Fly_IAD (Post 31849285)
Anybody know what is going on?

I guess nobody :(

Obruni Boy Dec 17, 2019 10:16 am

I would hazard a guess that they are planning on using the short haul plane again. BA tried this last April and received so many complaints that they had to make an excuse about a Cairo security incident and cancel a couple of weeks of flights..

G_CIVV Dec 17, 2019 10:27 am

Originally Posted by Obruni Boy (Post 31849422)
I would hazard a guess that they are planning on using the short haul plane again. BA tried this last April and received so many complaints that they had to make an excuse about a Cairo security incident and cancel a couple of weeks of flights..

Expert Flyer shows a mid-haul A321 doing CAI - and as a consequence the overnight DME rotation looks to have been downgraded to an A320 for some days in February.

13901 Dec 17, 2019 11:01 am

Originally Posted by Obruni Boy (Post 31849422)

As much as this forum likes a BAshing, this is uncalled for. Suggesting this means that BA is making a mockery of security, which is a pretty serious allegation (as well as that it gives a flying rat’s arse about customer feedback, which is absurd! There, a BAsh!).

What’s rather happening is what many thought it would when some bright mind decided “hey, we don’t need 6 321 mid haulers, we can do it with 4!”

The G-MEDs are due for their big checks and BA is now trying to find alternatives. But with not a lot of longhaulers, thanks to madame Rolls Royce, and tight coverage on the short haul front too (the Monarch slots hadn’t been planned 3 or 4 years ago), compounded with a lack of wet lease globally... the cover is very, very tight and cancellations must occur.

Obruni Boy Dec 17, 2019 12:44 pm

Originally Posted by 13901 (Post 31849596)
As much as this forum likes a BAshing, this is uncalled for..

I think I resemble that remark! :). Anyway with regards to last April as BA have refused to provide any evidence of the incident and lost a CERD case as a result I am happy stand with "J'accuse".

For reference the thread is here; https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...aution-11.html

While the Expert Flyer info is said to say mid-haul on your info I would say that NA-Flyer needs to give BA a call as it still seems a likely short haul aircraft.

Fly_IAD Dec 18, 2019 7:25 am

Originally Posted by 13901 (Post 31849596)
As much as this forum likes a BAshing, this is uncalled for. Suggesting this means that BA is making a mockery of security, which is a pretty serious allegation (as well as that it gives a flying rat’s arse about customer feedback, which is absurd! There, a BAsh!).

What’s rather happening is what many thought it would when some bright mind decided “hey, we don’t need 6 321 mid haulers, we can do it with 4!”

The G-MEDs are due for their big checks and BA is now trying to find alternatives. But with not a lot of longhaulers, thanks to madame Rolls Royce, and tight coverage on the short haul front too (the Monarch slots hadn’t been planned 3 or 4 years ago), compounded with a lack of wet lease globally... the cover is very, very tight and cancellations must occur.

Are these "mid haulers" still the true CW configuration that flies to BEY and AMM?

Originally Posted by Obruni Boy (Post 31849999)
I think I resemble that remark! :). Anyway with regards to last April as BA have refused to provide any evidence of the incident and lost a CERD case as a result I am happy stand with "J'accuse".

For reference the thread is here; https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...aution-11.html

While the Expert Flyer info is said to say mid-haul on your info I would say that NA-Flyer needs to give BA a call as it still seems a likely short haul aircraft.

Why does it seem likely to be a "short haul aircraft," did BA use short haul (no real CW) to CAI? I must have missed that unfortunate episode.

cailhr Dec 18, 2019 11:11 am

I was booked on WTP LHR-CAI and got an email yesterday saying:

We're very sorry to let you know that due to operational reasons, your cabin of travel on the BA155 flight to Cairo on Wednesday, 19 February 2020 has been changed. You have been rebooked to travel in World Traveller.
Not sure what to make of the email since it doesn't even make mention of compensation/refund for the downgrade, but I assume I can request that after I've flown. Would EC261/75% of base fare apply here, or might BA be more forthcoming with a better offer?
Do I have any other options? Not sure there is any other route, even with stopovers, to CAI that has WTP (and I guess I'll get laughed at if I ask for J on another route)

Also, if I fly on WT, should I expect to get WTP TPs and Avios?
I booked this flight during the double Avios promotion, but i have a feeling it's not going to be easy to convince BAEC to award 2x WTP Avios :(

Fly_IAD Dec 19, 2019 4:40 am

Originally Posted by cailhr (Post 31853307)
I was booked on WTP LHR-CAI and got an email yesterday saying:

Not sure what to make of the email since it doesn't even make mention of compensation/refund for the downgrade, but I assume I can request that after I've flown. Would EC261/75% of base fare apply here, or might BA be more forthcoming with a better offer?
Do I have any other options? Not sure there is any other route, even with stopovers, to CAI that has WTP (and I guess I'll get laughed at if I ask for J on another route)

Also, if I fly on WT, should I expect to get WTP TPs and Avios?
I booked this flight during the double Avios promotion, but i have a feeling it's not going to be easy to convince BAEC to award 2x WTP Avios :(

That doesnt sound so good. Any updates from BA? It seems like at least a week it totally blocked out for sale in February. I wonder why?

Tafflyer Dec 19, 2019 8:08 am

On the Air Belgium substitutions, where ther is also no WT+, a call to BA will result in your WT+ being upgraded to Business Class. I actually enjoyed Business Class on Air Belgium more than the normal BA CW service.

cailhr Dec 19, 2019 8:30 am

Originally Posted by Fly_IAD (Post 31855833)
That doesnt sound so good. Any updates from BA? It seems like at least a week it totally blocked out for sale in February. I wonder why?

No updates, but as of today it's no longer blocked out in that week's timeframe any longer, CW is for sale as normal it seems.
​​​​​

Originally Posted by Tafflyer (Post 31856443)
On the Air Belgium substitutions, where ther is also no WT+, a call to BA will result in your WT+ being upgraded to Business Class. I actually enjoyed Business Class on Air Belgium more than the normal BA CW service.

After I noticed your reply and the fact that were was no lack of CW capacity on that day, I gave them a call on the number on the email today and asked for that and was told "the policy does not allow for free upgrades". The policy on the other thread linked here for Air Belgium did mention being rebooked into CW but I wonder if the difference is due to the wet-lease. Should I give that a try again later with some other agent or is there another number I should be calling? Or maybe I'm just forced to stay in WT this time :D

Fly_IAD Dec 19, 2019 10:28 am

Originally Posted by Tafflyer (Post 31856443)

This isnt an Air Belgium substitution in February though which is why I had concerns about the aircraft and CW product.

Originally Posted by cailhr (Post 31856525)
No updates, but as of today it's no longer blocked out in that week's timeframe any longer, CW is for sale as normal it seems.
​​​​​

After I noticed your reply and the fact that were was no lack of CW capacity on that day, I gave them a call on the number on the email today and asked for that and was told "the policy does not allow for free upgrades". The policy on the other thread linked here for Air Belgium did mention being rebooked into CW but I wonder if the difference is due to the wet-lease. Should I give that a try again later with some other agent or is there another number I should be calling? Or maybe I'm just forced to stay in WT this time :D

As of now it seems that BA is still the operating carrier vs Air Belgium as was done in the past.