Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

4 Nov : BA253 [LHR-NAS & GCM] diverted to YYT [St Johns] due to apparent fuel leak

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

4 Nov : BA253 [LHR-NAS & GCM] diverted to YYT [St Johns] due to apparent fuel leak

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2019, 6:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: M-Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Aeroplan 50K, DragonPass, AMEX MR, NEXUS
Originally Posted by Bogwoppit
Absolutely, but there are way worse places to spend a night. I am a firm believer of making the most of an unforseen stopover. I have been stranded a few places due to volcanoes, fog and crazy weather. All have been grand adventures.
Lots of great things to do in St. John's this time of year! I certainly wouldn't mind an overnight diversion, it would be fun to experience somewhere new!
Bogwoppit and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Nov 4, 2019, 8:07 pm
Original Poster

Update:

I went out to the airport a few minutes ago to get a look at G-YMMU. Looks like it will remain parked for the next little while, APU attached, and it is parked away from all the gates.

It would be nice if it had an extended stay! Can't say I would mind having a beautiful BA Triple-7 parked at my home airport!
Old Nov 5, 2019, 1:06 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Crampedin13A
Actually how would the Canadian eTA visa be dealt with. Can't see Canada missing a chance to clip everyone for $7
What happens in these kinds of situations? I assume that usually the local immigration will usually make things happen to accommodate passengers being able to leave the airport if needed, hopefully as smoothly as possible.

Does the airline end up getting billed for something by immigration authorities to compensate them for their flexibility?
(I realise that this is a very open ended query and approaches will vary massively from place to place)
Old Nov 5, 2019, 1:32 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze, Mucci recipient
Originally Posted by codfather
It was a very warm day here in St. John's. Blue skies and sunny for tomorrow also with above-average November temps around 12 degrees celsius.
I like that you think it was a very warm day in St John's with a temperature of 12 degrees Celsius.

It's all relative though. 12 degrees is not warm. It's warmer than 0 degrees but a lot colder than the destination.
Old Nov 5, 2019, 1:40 am

Programs: BA GGL, A3*G, Mucci de l'expertise des Apps
YMMA is the replacement aircraft.
Old Nov 5, 2019, 2:22 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by plunet
What happens in these kinds of situations? I assume that usually the local immigration will usually make things happen to accommodate passengers being able to leave the airport if needed, hopefully as smoothly as possible.

Does the airline end up getting billed for something by immigration authorities to compensate them for their flexibility?
(I realise that this is a very open ended query and approaches will vary massively from place to place)
Processes for diversions to a third country are covered under ICAO rules to allow for this exact thing so no $7 CAD due. Also there's likely persons without any right to be in Canada without a full visa let alone an eTV and these are covered as well.
Old Nov 5, 2019, 2:31 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
Originally Posted by nick.t.davies
Processes for diversions to a third country are covered under ICAO rules to allow for this exact thing so no $7 CAD due. Also there's likely persons without any right to be in Canada without a full visa let alone an eTV and these are covered as well.
Exactly. Most countries are pragmatic about these things. A small number, e.g. Russia, are not and become a giant pain in the event of diversion/IRROPS
Old Nov 5, 2019, 4:00 am

Programs: SK Gold, ITA Executive, Sixt Diamond, Hertz PC, Avis PC, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by AJA_
I like that you think it was a very warm day in St John's with a temperature of 12 degrees Celsius.

It's all relative though. 12 degrees is not warm. It's warmer than 0 degrees but a lot colder than the destination.
Considering they left London where is 11 degrees now, it's not a big temperature difference.
BA235 and codfather like this.
Old Nov 5, 2019, 4:01 am

Programs: SK Gold, ITA Executive, Sixt Diamond, Hertz PC, Avis PC, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by ajeleonard
Exactly. Most countries are pragmatic about these things. A small number, e.g. Russia, are not and become a giant pain in the event of diversion/IRROPS
I believe France is too (or at least used to be some years ago).
Old Nov 5, 2019, 4:23 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
Originally Posted by jms_uk
I believe France is too (or at least used to be some years ago).
They were a couple of years ago on a silly situation where the last 2 Eurostars out of Paris were cancelled. The first train was all boarded and for the second most people were already through customs and security. They were standing at the end of the platform "unwinding" the exit of Schengen for people who didn't have freedom of movement. The UK Border Force were uninterested and simply dealt with these cases of people who were technically "already in the UK" on the next day.
Old Nov 5, 2019, 5:20 am

Programs: BA Gold (woohoo)
If you want to see how Canadians handle diverted planes, go see Come From Away. Easiest if you live in London, New York, Melbourne, Shanghai, Toronto or a place its touring too.
wrp96, beachmouse and codfather like this.
Old Nov 5, 2019, 5:21 am

Programs: BA Blue, EI Silver, Honours Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by plunet

I wonder if the risk of illegal immigration is taken into account? The likelihood of anyone knowing that their assigned aircraft from London to the Caribbean would develop a technical fault is zero and as BA have a responsibility to get everyone to their final destination, matching manifests should be pretty easy, if someone were to disappear into the night. British, EU, Cayman Islands and Bahamas nationals can travel visa free to Canada for up to 90 days, so for the majority there shouldn't be a huge issue. The Government of Canada note that eTA's are exempt for "Foreign nationals who are passengers on a flight that makes an unscheduled stop in Canada." eTA are only for visa waiver countries, but I cant see the immigration authorities throwing a passenger into an immigration detention facility in this scenario.
Old Nov 5, 2019, 6:10 am

Originally Posted by BrianDromey
eTA are only for visa waiver countries, but I cant see the immigration authorities throwing a passenger into an immigration detention facility in this scenario.
eTA, no. ESTA.... maybe.
Old Nov 5, 2019, 6:10 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AJA_

Warm given that it is November. If it were summer here, I would say that is freezing lol
Old Nov 5, 2019, 9:09 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by Keep it Riel
If you want to see how Canadians handle diverted planes, go see Come From Away. Easiest if you live in London, New York, Melbourne, Shanghai, Toronto or a place its touring too.
Even if musicals are not your thing I think this is a must-see for frequent flyers - being that it is mostly a true story about 38 diverted planes being forced into Gander on 9/11. Great story, very well told.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.