Wiki Posts
Search

Letter in name missing

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2019, 7:34 am
Original Poster

Letter in name missing

Hey Guys,

New here came across the forum while looking for some answers.

So basically I booked my flight to Thailand through Travelup flying on 5th November from Cardiff airport. The flight is BA but operated by Qatar Airways. The issue is I have missed out a letter in my name it should be MOHAMMED but says MOHAMED.

I have contacted TravelUp and they said they can't change it due to it being operated by Qatar airways and then provided me with BA phone number. I contacted BA and they said BA cant change it but Travelup can (which travelup denied when I contacted them back. I have also been ringing Qatar office in Cardiff airport but they have not been answering their phone for the last week. I managed to talk to Qatar main office and they informed me TravelUp can fix a 1 letter name correction. I told Travelup all this but now they are not replying back.

Question is can anyone actually do the correction? will it actually make that much of a difference? I cant check in with my details as the passport number and name do not match up online. Will I be able to check-in at the desk? I messed up I know but I do not want to cancel and purchase a new one.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks guys.
Old Nov 4, 2019, 7:35 am

Programs: Was BA GGL but no longer travelling
There was a similar thread here a couple of weeks ago; a difference of one or two letters shouldn't make a difference.
Old Nov 4, 2019, 7:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
I suspect with the various ways of spelling The Prophet’s name you’ll be fine on QR. (No disrespect intended, Sir).

Oh, and Welcome to Flyertalk ... always nice to see new people.

Last edited by T8191; Nov 4, 2019 at 8:01 am
Old Nov 4, 2019, 8:01 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
This won't be an issue at all. It happens many times every single day, so don't worry about it.
Old Nov 4, 2019, 8:03 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
I would just leave it
Old Nov 4, 2019, 8:13 am

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
The only place it might cause an issue is if travelling to the USA where API for the airline would need to match with ESTAs. Travel up should be able to change but as others have said don’t worry.
Old Nov 4, 2019, 9:03 am
Original Poster

Amazing! Thanks guys will just leave it and see what happens on the day.

T8191 Haha that's a fair point. Hopefully QR will be sympathetic towards that lol.
T8191 likes this.
Old Nov 4, 2019, 9:16 am
Suspended

Programs: BAEC GGL, HH DIAMOND, AVIS Presidents Club, Karahi Express
OT - when dealing with international customers, it can be embarrassing when one gets the spelling slightly wrong....

Variations of spelling include Muhammad, Mohammed, Mohammad, Muhammed, Mohamed, Mohamad, Muhamad, Muhamed, Mohamud, Mohummad, Mohummed, Mouhamed, Mohammod and Mouhamad and maybe more.
Old Nov 4, 2019, 10:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
... and the variations ending in ‘t’.

It’s a minefield, especially for those prone to typos. I have complete confidence that the “Authorities” have a sympathetic view.
Old Nov 4, 2019, 10:03 am

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by waqii
Amazing! Thanks guys will just leave it and see what happens on the day.

T8191 Haha that's a fair point. Hopefully QR will be sympathetic towards that lol.
It will all be fine Insha'Allah!
T8191 and deboyzoned like this.
Old Nov 4, 2019, 11:27 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by waqii
Hey Guys,
I'll add to the list saying it won't be a problem, and even for the USA it's not the ticket name that needs to match, it's the API information. Moreover I've seen the DHS pattern matching list for Mohammed and I counted 11 accepted version, so in other words even they can cope with a bit of variation there. Welcome, ahlaan, to Flyertalk waqii, it's good to see you here.
EDIwanderer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.