Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Overselling Flights - why is it tolerated ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Overselling Flights - why is it tolerated ?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2019, 3:05 am

Programs: Seniors Bus Pass
Originally Posted by SKRan
There are many reasons that a passenger could do a no-show.
Why is passenger no-show tolerated? What do you think?
When you have a fully flexible ticket there is no cost loss. When you have a fully inflexible ticket it is total loss.

If you sleep in or are delayed getting to the airport by traffic the results are the same for those two passengers. "Tolerated" by the airline because they charge accordingly for the flexibility.
Old Nov 4, 2019, 3:11 am

Programs: Seniors Bus Pass
When on a fully flex itinerary last year I had landed at LHR and boarded my next flight to DUS. Just as I sat down my phone rang to cancel the reason for the trip. I therefore offloaded myself - which then cancelled the rest of the ticket. I then bought a single back home. With 5 mins thought I should have just gone to DUS, stayed overnight and then returned. it would have been cheaper and I would have got the TPs and avios!

That is the sort of decisions that can affect no-shows. I missed 3 out of 4 legs, and then bought another at an hours notice.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Nov 4, 2019, 3:11 am

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I guess your line of argument is that costs and price points are pretty much unconnected. But look it from the other perspective. Imagine a world where BA would never sell a seat twice, and therefore about a quarter or a third of seats went out empty. I doubt you would be trying to maintain that fares would not rise quite sharply in that scenario? Moreover for the seats typically sold twice over, the first sale covers net margin, your second sale is boosting your gross margin. In other words they sell a percentage of cheap seats knowing some won't make it. For very price sensitive customers this is a real lifeline - so long as they don't change their minds.
Just for clarity, I don't argue against over booking. I think it is immensely sensible, especially from an environmental perspective, as it reduces the number of empty seats.

I disagree with the idea that lower costs will lead to lower fares. The assumption that BA is some sort of social entity that shares a lower cost base with it's passengers is wrong - the only people benefiting from lower costs are the shareholders (again, not complaining, I own IAG shares).

True, in the long run cost and fares are related (cost forms the long term lower end a fare can go to, low cost and high fares will attract a competitor who will drive prices down), but there is simply no direct and immediate connection between the two. That becomes pretty obvious if one looks at the current fare structures: Two people sitting next to each other on a BA plane can pay vastly different prices for essentially the same product.
Old Nov 4, 2019, 3:24 am

Originally Posted by LCY8737
Just for clarity, I don't argue against over booking. I think it is immensely sensible, especially from an environmental perspective, as it reduces the number of empty seats.

I disagree with the idea that lower costs will lead to lower fares. The assumption that BA is some sort of social entity that shares a lower cost base with it's passengers is wrong - the only people benefiting from lower costs are the shareholders (again, not complaining, I own IAG shares).

True, in the long run cost and fares are related (cost forms the long term lower end a fare can go to, low cost and high fares will attract a competitor who will drive prices down), but there is simply no direct and immediate connection between the two. That becomes pretty obvious if one looks at the current fare structures: Two people sitting next to each other on a BA plane can pay vastly different prices for essentially the same product.
I think that, as a result of overbooking, fares can be lower.

Think about it: let's assume that, tomorrow, the new government bans overbooking. BA can do two things: take the hit on the chin, or transfer the costs to the passengers. At the end of the day, as you rightly said, BA is not a social entity; BA wants to have the same amount of money coming from its asset (measure it as RASK, revenue per square meters, revenue per flight, whatever).

Let's put in a slightly unrealistic scenario, but one that I think makes sense. If they made Ł1 per passenger on a flight with 100 passenger and 5% overbooking, they'll want to still get Ł105 from that flight in the no-overbooking-cos-the-government-said-so scenario. Which means that, going forward, they'll split the extra Ł5 amongst all the other passengers, so that they all end up paying Ł1.05 (of course this scenario assumes that everyone pays the same and every seat is occupied). In a sense, no overbooking = higher fares.
Old Nov 4, 2019, 3:34 am

Programs: Confirmed
Originally Posted by antichef
When you have a fully flexible ticket there is no cost loss. When you have a fully inflexible ticket it is total loss.

If you sleep in or are delayed getting to the airport by traffic the results are the same for those two passengers. "Tolerated" by the airline because they charge accordingly for the flexibility.
No shows are tolerated with charge. Overselling and involuntary offloading should be tolerated with compensation. Seems fair to me.
Old Nov 4, 2019, 4:22 am

Originally Posted by 13901
Let's put in a slightly unrealistic scenario, but one that I think makes sense. If they made Ł1 per passenger on a flight with 100 passenger and 5% overbooking, they'll want to still get Ł105 from that flight in the no-overbooking-cos-the-government-said-so scenario. Which means that, going forward, they'll split the extra Ł5 amongst all the other passengers, so that they all end up paying Ł1.05 (of course this scenario assumes that everyone pays the same and every seat is occupied). In a sense, no overbooking = higher fares.
BA have a pretty decent understanding of their market, so they will already charge the maximum they can get away with. They would be giving money away if they weren't. If they increase prices on top of that, demand will reduce (either through people flying with a cheaper competitor or because they stay home).

In your hypothetical scenario of BA increasing prices by 5% - imagine Ryanair keeping their prices at the old level. BA would end up with empty planes and FR would need to add additional planes. FR could even increase by 4% and make even more money through higher prices from more passengers.

I know it is very counter intuitive, but cost is only one of many considerations in defining a price. It's only real importance is that long term you shouldn't sell for less than (variable) cost.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Nov 4, 2019, 4:23 am

Deleted
Old Nov 4, 2019, 4:42 am

Programs: Confirmed
BA have a pretty decent understanding of their market, so they will already charge the maximum they can get away with. They would be giving money away if they weren't. If they increase prices on top of that, demand will reduce (either through people flying with a cheaper competitor or because they stay home).

In your hypothetical scenario of BA increasing prices by 5% - imagine Ryanair keeping their prices at the old level. BA would end up with empty planes and FR would need to add additional planes. FR could even increase by 4% and make even more money through higher prices from more passengers.

I know it is very counter intuitive, but cost is only one of many considerations in defining a price. It's only real importance is that long term you shouldn't sell for less than (variable) cost.
Data driven approach it is.
Old Nov 4, 2019, 4:51 am

Programs: OZ Diamond Plus, Marriott Gold

I think you've actually made the argument that it does affect prices.

Lower costs allow competition with lower cost competitors. It's not necessarily "we've got lower costs, so Mr. Customer we'll give you a discount". It's "we've got lower costs, so we can make a profit while competing against Ryanair, Delta, and others. If our costs are too high, we can't have competitive prices."

That long run is the point. As is the different price points for the same seats. Different customers will buy seats at different times; the closer to fully occupied (or departure) the plane is, the scarcer that seat is, allowing for price insensitive customers to buy. That's of course removing other reasons.

Competition is what drives price structure far more than kindness to customers.
Old Nov 4, 2019, 5:34 am

You're assuming that Ryanair - or other airlines - have an alternative flight that BA passengers can jump on, or that cost is the one and only deciding factor, and that customers change airline based only on that. Plus, as sightseeMC pointed out, you indeed confirmed that prices are affected by overbooking or lack thereof!
Old Nov 4, 2019, 5:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dambus
So how do Southwest and Ryanair manage to muddle along without overselling?
It could because they have a lower proportion of no shows than traditional flag carriers, partly because of different passenger profiles and partly, as far as FR is concerned at least, different ticketing policies (no refundable fares on FR).
flygirl68 likes this.
Old Nov 4, 2019, 5:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Quite a large percentage of BA passengers are connecting which I imagine influences their decision to do it. Ryanair passengers are point to point ticketed....could be wrong though.
Old Nov 4, 2019, 6:11 am

Programs: Mucci Des Oeufs Brouilles et des Canards
Originally Posted by Fonsini
Just dropped the wife off for flight BA294 from ORD to LHR - luckily she was traveling with our kids, I say luckily because the check in agent told us that while we were ok for seats she was expecting a rough ride tonight from some of the other passengers as BA had “heavily” oversold every class of service, even First, and that they had the same experience with yesterday’s flight as well. Something to do with half-term in the UK bumping up demand according to her. Sure enough a guy at the next agent along started raising his voice as we completed check-in when he got the news that he was one of those affected and also found out that there are no more seats on any other flights tonight.

I know this is not just BA, and I know it has gone on for decades now - but how is it ok for the airlines to do this to people just so they can ensure max capacity ?
Hi Fonsini,

Can I ask, for my "research", did your family check in online when it opened 24hrs before? I'm curious to know if anyone who :
a) checks in online
b) has paid for a seat (exit or other)
c) ordered a special meal
d) requested special assistance

has been denied boarding? I was on an easyJet flight to the Greek Isles over the summer and the person next to me told me 4 of his group were denied boarding as the flight was oversold and they hadn't checked in online. (To top it off, his luggage didn't make it on board either!!)

In the pre-check in online days I had a friend nearly denied boarding on a KLM flight as he was at the end of the queue. Similarly in Tokyo on JAL my partner and I were held up at check in by someone who was being argumentative in front of us. By the time we got to check in, we were the last to reach the desk. The agent said the flight was very full and she was trying to see if she could get us some good seats. She did, they were in business class. Pre flat bed days, but still fun.

Last edited by dddc; Nov 4, 2019 at 7:05 am Reason: clarify point
Old Nov 4, 2019, 6:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dambus
So how do Southwest and Ryanair manage to muddle along without overselling?
I am pretty sure Southwest oversells. I fly them a lot and have heard them ask for volunteers to give up their seats.
Old Nov 4, 2019, 8:37 am

That may be the marketing line, but it is decidedly not true. It only reduces the cost for BA. But BA charge as much as they can get away with, which is mostly driven by what other airlines charge and how much passengers are willing to pay.

While cost is the long term lower end of the price point, every airline will try to go above that as much as it can.
This is true, it is not an altruistic attempt to “keep fares low.” Indeed, all airlines aim to maximize profits by offering tickets at the optimal price points and by optimizing load factor on their aircraft. That means overbooking flights on the basis of known statistics of how many passengers will likely change, cancel, or no show at the last minute.

While BA is not altruistically trying to “keep fares low” per se, they do indeed need to offer competitive fares to some passengers in order to fill the plane and optimize revenue. Of course, they will charge premium passengers on direct, high demand routings as much as they determine they can get away with under market conditions.

Airline pricing is very complicated, and there are many people at BA and all other airlines whose sole jobs are to figure out optimal ticket prices.
LCY8737 and MSPeconomist like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.