infant on outbound child on inbound

Old Nov 3, 19, 6:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: QRPC Plat; Marriott Plat; Hilton Gold
infant on outbound child on inbound

Hi All,

I booked a J class ticket with infant who turn 2 after the outbound. According to BA they will provide the child a seat free of charge but the problem is the ticket is booked via an OTA rather than BA directly. Would I still be able to get the seat on the inbound and secondly, is it possible to just call BA after the outbound is flown or do I need to get it sorted now?
Old Nov 3, 19, 6:24 am

Originally Posted by salehir View Post
Hi All,

I booked a J class ticket with infant who turn 2 after the outbound. According to BA they will provide the child a seat free of charge but the problem is the ticket is booked via an OTA rather than BA directly. Would I still be able to get the seat on the inbound and secondly, is it possible to just call BA after the outbound is flown or do I need to get it sorted now?
I think when you check in for the outbound, BA will take the infants details from their passport and sort the return for you.
Old Nov 3, 19, 7:51 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
You need to call BA, here is the policy:

Infants who become children while travelling

If you're travelling with an infant who reaches the age of 2 during their journey, your child will need their own seat for any flights on and after their 2nd birthday. We won’t charge you extra for this; you'll only pay the infant fare for the entire journey.

This booking can't be made online, so contact us and we'll be pleased to help you.

Source: https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...avel-documents
Old Nov 3, 19, 8:49 am

Originally Posted by rapidex View Post
I think when you check in for the outbound, BA will take the infants details from their passport and sort the return for you.
No i wouldnt wait like this, as it risks problems with availabiity if you leave it this late.

Call BA ASAP and get this sorted now.
Old Nov 3, 19, 8:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Do it now. Your child won't be permitted to sit alone in coach if J is sold out and I suspect neither parent would like to be downgraded either.
Anonba likes this.
Old Nov 3, 19, 12:27 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hotels.com Gold
We called immediately after booking when we were in a similar situation a few years ago.
Old Nov 3, 19, 6:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QRPC Plat; Marriott Plat; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by CloudGazer View Post
We called immediately after booking when we were in a similar situation a few years ago.
Was your booking also through an OTA? And did BA make the changes?
Old Nov 3, 19, 7:16 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, ex AA EXP
I just used this this summer, had the tickets booked return in J, upgraded with Avios to F, then called BA (you need to wait for your kid to turn 2 I believe, it took them a while on the phone, but after a while I had the second tickets issued and a seat assigned,

Some agent are not familiar with this, in such case it's better to hang up and call again
Old Nov 4, 19, 4:19 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hotels.com Gold
Originally Posted by salehir View Post
Was your booking also through an OTA? And did BA make the changes?
My bad. I missed that you'd booked through an OTA. No, booked direct.
Old Nov 5, 19, 5:10 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by pvgman View Post
I just used this this summer, had the tickets booked return in J, upgraded with Avios to F, then called BA (you need to wait for your kid to turn 2 I believe, it took them a while on the phone, but after a while I had the second tickets issued and a seat assigned,

Some agent are not familiar with this, in such case it's better to hang up and call again

Seems like BA has a great policy! Just to understand. Even if in paid J and upgrade to F with Avios and paying the infant fare using Avios + tax option BA will then book the child after turning 2 (on the return segment) into a F seat?

Slightly OT, any other airlines that do this? BA seems unique in that they also allow Avios to be used to pay the infant fare in the type of situation I described above.
Old Nov 5, 19, 5:50 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Anonba has a very important point. Call sooner rather than later, to ensure you don't run into last minute availability issues.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: