Tobacco sales on board?

Old Nov 2, 19, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC/IB
Tobacco sales on board?

Forgive me for starting a thread on such a 'taboo' subject nowadays but it's been such a long time since I've flown BA on the EZE route. Can you still buy tobacco, especially pipe tobacco, on BA long haul flights? Thing is, my brother in law and lovely niece are flying to EZE later this month for a holiday....probably on order from my sister to find out if I'm still alive and kicking. I would like them to purchase some pipe tobacco for me taking advantage of duty free prices. I looked at the WDF site and they don't even mention tobacco in their list of products for sale. I've sent them an email to inquire and haven't heard back as yet.
Old Nov 2, 19, 11:47 am
2020 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: BAEC Gold, Honors Gold
Looking at the High Life Shop website there's some tobacco available to pre-order, but as a none smoker I have no idea if any of it is what you want!
https://www.highlifeshop.com/categories/tobacco
HIDDY likes this.
Old Nov 2, 19, 11:57 am

Programs: BA Gold
A twin pack of cigarette cartons (say B&H Gold) is currently £75. I don’t recall seeing tobacco though.
HIDDY likes this.
Old Nov 2, 19, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by S_W_S View Post
Looking at the High Life Shop website there's some tobacco available to pre-order, but as a none smoker I have no idea if any of it is what you want!
https://www.highlifeshop.com/categories/tobacco
Thanks S_W_S. I did see that but no mention of pipe tobacco sadly. Tobacco especially cigarettes are cheap as chips here but most imported pipe tobacco isn't far off UK prices. Which is fair enough except I can't get the brand I want.
Old Nov 2, 19, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
2020 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Hi, HIDDY. Cigarette smoker myself, but I’m certain I’ve seen loose tobacco in WDF. Now, whether that's ‘rolling’ or ‘pipe’ is a different question ... I suspect rolling, TBH.

Good luck.
HIDDY likes this.
Old Nov 2, 19, 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by mikeyfly View Post
A twin pack of cigarette cartons (say B&H Gold) is currently £75. I donít recall seeing tobacco though.
And then people set fire to them?
Old Nov 2, 19, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
2020 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Only €30/200 at MLA Duty Free, which explains (in part) why we like to go there quite often!
tynmar and HIDDY like this.
Old Nov 2, 19, 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by T8191 View Post
Only Ä30/200 at MLA Duty Free, which explains (in part) why we like to go there quite often!
Fellow smoker here, currently in Kiev, ciggies are about £1.20-1.50 per pack of 20 . But for unlimited allowance (for now) I recommend SOF, around £25/200.
HIDDY likes this.
Old Nov 2, 19, 3:24 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by HIDDY View Post
I looked at the WDF site and they don't even mention tobacco in their list of products for sale
I don't think they can advertise it for sale by law, same as in the Highlife shop magazine (I think it just says "ask the crew"). Off the top of my head BA sell Golden Virginia and Amber Leaf onboard, no idea if that pipeable or not You'd be better off asking them to buy it in duty free at LHR (or much cheaper in the shop in EZE baggage hall).
HIDDY likes this.
Old Nov 2, 19, 8:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies everyone. ^
I suspect it's a bit of a longshot to expect BA to sell pipe tobacco on board,...probably not enough pipe smoking codgers about these days. I had no idea WDF weren't allowed to advertise tobacco products so I shall await their reply to my email with hope.
Old Nov 3, 19, 5:19 am

Programs: Krisflyer Gold
Yes, the shop at T5 is now a prison like affair with a guard at the entrance, but the range inside is pretty comprehensive so I imagine they could have it
HIDDY likes this.
Old Nov 3, 19, 5:40 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk
2020 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
I would imagine that the safest bet is to buy it at T5 - I'd get them to call them and see if they stock the brand that you like.
HIDDY likes this.
Old Nov 3, 19, 7:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I agree T5 is the best bet.....they can also get me a bottle of malt while they're at it. ^
T8191 and dpfs like this.
Old Nov 3, 19, 7:23 am

Originally Posted by HIDDY View Post
I agree T5 is the best bet.....they can also get me a bottle of malt while they're at it. ^
World of whiskies had some good stuff for about £900 per bottle.
HIDDY likes this.
Old Nov 3, 19, 8:33 am

Originally Posted by SteveF View Post
And then people set fire to them?
Is this the first Bob Newhart quote on this forum?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: