Wiki Posts
Search

[2 Nov] Wind delays LHR

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2019, 5:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: Usual Amex Cent. GGL.
[2 Nov] Wind delays LHR

Sat at HEL On a remote stand as LHR ATC are restricting incomings due to go arounds. Estimated 90 min delay currently.
Old Nov 2, 2019, 6:16 am

Programs: BAEC
I wondered If this would cause issues, how are the outbound flights?
Old Nov 2, 2019, 6:19 am

My EDI-LHR flight is currently showing as on-time departure, but arrival is 90 min later...might be missing a connection if this is true.
Old Nov 2, 2019, 6:19 am

Programs: BA (LTG), Miles&More (whatever the lowest level is), Oyster card (zones 1-2)
I asked about this on a separate thread - a bit earlier winds were I think 20kts from the south gusting to 35kts. Only saw two go-around though. Seems to have died down a bit now.
rockflyertalk likes this.
Old Nov 2, 2019, 6:21 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Flight Radar 24 is showing an average arrival delay of 15 minutes and 35 minutes for departure (although the latter is falling).
Old Nov 2, 2019, 6:21 am
Original Poster

I did wonder if our push back to a remote stand was more OTD than freeing up a slot. Never mind as it’s EU they’ve cracked open the bar.
Old Nov 2, 2019, 6:46 am
Original Poster

Text received

We want to apologise in advance for any potential delay to your scheduled service today. Due to adverse weather activity in and around the London area, there is a reduced rate of permitted aircraft movements at London Heathrow and London Gatwick airport. As a result of this, some of our scheduled services maybe subject to delays. Please continue to proceed for check-in to the scheduled time of departure and should you require any assistance once at the airport, then please see a member of our team. We are so sorry for any disruption & inconvenience to your journey today.
Old Nov 2, 2019, 6:47 am
Original Poster

My inner pedant is squirming...
Old Nov 2, 2019, 7:16 am

Programs: BA Silver
I see on FR24 that KM100 and NZ2 did go-arounds
Old Nov 2, 2019, 7:42 am

Programs: BA (LTG), Miles&More (whatever the lowest level is), Oyster card (zones 1-2)
A Lufthansa went around on the north runway but landed safely on the southern runway a few minutes later. An Iberia also went around but went off straight to Manchester.
Old Nov 2, 2019, 7:49 am

Programs: AA, BA, NH, TP
Sat on the Ground at Milan Linate (LIN) with an hour delay which considering the weather is not bad. Crew have been great and have done a complete drinks round inc tea and coffee. Flight crew keeping us well updated as well.
Old Nov 2, 2019, 7:51 am

Originally Posted by Often1
Flight Radar 24 is showing an average arrival delay of 15 minutes and 35 minutes for departure (although the latter is falling).
FR24's delay figures are rarely very accurate. They always seem to lag behind what's actually happening. Every departure at the moment is over 60 mins late, the website is showing an average delay on departures of 36 mins now (and still falling! Sums it up really).
Old Nov 2, 2019, 7:54 am

Currently sat on EDI-LHR waiting for a slot to open up but looks like 1h 20 min delayed departure.

How does this work at Heathrow? If every aircraft coming in is getting major delays, do they hold back departures to allow for connections to be made, or is my OP UP upgrade now lost due to the missed connection?
Old Nov 2, 2019, 7:59 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Smorek
How does this work at Heathrow? If every aircraft coming in is getting major delays, do they hold back departures to allow for connections to be made, or is my OP UP upgrade now lost due to the missed connection?
The priority is to get every flight to run as close to time as possible. So for example they won't hold an aircraft back a few minutes in the hope that some straggling passengers make it. There are some exceptions to that, if there is a large group involved, but in essence the priority is to keep to schedule, and to minimise delays to the service in question. What may happen is that conformance will be lifted but that's about as far as it goes.

If you got an involuntary upgrade then you certainly can't count on it transferring over to the next flight, but sometimes good things come to those who are nice and polite. Far more important is the loading on the next possible service (which of course may not always be BA operated). If you paid for a POUG or AUP that normally would be maintained.
Old Nov 2, 2019, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Deckard
We want to apologise in advance for any potential delay to your scheduled service today. Due to adverse weather activity in and around the London area, there is a reduced rate of permitted aircraft movements at London Heathrow and London Gatwick airport. As a result of this, some of our scheduled services maybe subject to delays. Please continue to proceed for check-in to the scheduled time of departure and should you require any assistance once at the airport, then please see a member of our team. We are so sorry for any disruption & inconvenience to your journey today.
No such apology for me (1hr delay followed by the worst gate in t5 (the ultra long c gate for that poor A319...) Not that I mind as this is genuinely outside of ba’s control.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.