FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Would you risk 2h 50m CX / BA at HKG? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1993709-would-you-risk-2h-50m-cx-ba-hkg.html)

x229cle Nov 1, 2019 11:11 am

Would you risk 2h 50m CX / BA at HKG?

I would welcome your advice. Thanks in advance.
I am considering a short connection at HKG. The CX 174 (from ADL) is due to arrive at 20.55
The BA 28 (on a separate ticket) is due to depart at 23.45

- Too close, or don't worry?
(The alternative is a day in HKG, plus hotel, etc).

rapidex Nov 1, 2019 11:18 am

Too close for me.

YYCCL3 Nov 1, 2019 11:19 am

I personally would not risk connecting two long haul flights with less than 6 hours in between.

What would be the financial implications for yourself on being a no show for the BA flight if the CX flight was sufficiently delayed ?

Chris9642 Nov 1, 2019 11:19 am

Are separate tickets definitely not protected at HKG when both airlines are One World or is it just discretion on the day?

corporate-wage-slave Nov 1, 2019 11:23 am

In terms of it being do-able, yes, it's a relatively long connection, given that if you don't have checked luggage you can make connections in HKG in under an hour. I think my record was under 30 minutes though I don't care to repeat that experience.

The issue would be about delays and cancellations - what would the consequences be for that? If your ticket is reasonably flexible, for example, you may be able to shift if from ADL before departure, since it's likely that any delay you have would manifest themselves before departure, or at least take off. On the other hand this could be a very expensive inflexible ticket and you can't afford to replace it with a walk-up ticket in HKG. And it depends on your appetite for risk.

Now given than those who tend to be relaxed about risk would probably not ask the question, the fact that you have asked must mean something is nagging you about this.......

strayersong Nov 1, 2019 11:26 am

CX should have no issue checking through your luggage to London, so the connection time should be more than sufficient as long as the CX flight is not delayed..

flyingmonkie Nov 1, 2019 11:28 am

Get travel insurance that protects you for missed connections on seperate tickets. That way, as long as you are above MCT then you're fine.

scubadu Nov 1, 2019 11:28 am

Originally Posted by YYCCL3 (Post 31690544)
I personally would not risk connecting two long haul flights with less than 6 hours in between.

What would be the financial implications for yourself on being a no show for the BA flight if the CX flight was sufficiently delayed ?

Ummm... to each their own I suppose, but 6 hours seems a little extreme...

Regards

Ancient Observer Nov 1, 2019 11:30 am

A while ago I was warned by those who travel in and out of HKG a lot that evening arrivals can be disturbed by mainland activities. I have no idea whether or not this is accurate, and I do not know how often it happens, but it caused me to take an earlier flight.

corporate-wage-slave Nov 1, 2019 11:42 am

Originally Posted by Ancient Observer (Post 31690591)
A while ago I was warned by those who travel in and out of HKG a lot that evening arrivals can be disturbed by mainland activities. I have no idea whether or not this is accurate, and I do not know how often it happens, but it caused me to take an earlier flight.

CX flights from mainland China to SAR Hong Kong are indeed likely to be disrupted by congestion and ATC policies within China, and the later the day wears on, the more it is a risk. However from Adelaide to Hong Kong shouldn't be in this category so much, the Expertflyer stats give it a 92% chance of being on time, and when there are delays the average delay is 33 minutes, based on the last 25 flights. This is about as good as it gets.

Cw novice Nov 1, 2019 12:02 pm

Although not entirely the same as it was all CX I had a 1.45 connection going MAN-HKG-HND and had plenty of time for 3 dirty martinis and some dan dan between flights at a rather leisurely pace. I found the flight connections to be really quick compared to LHR. Of course if you can't interline your bag if you have one that will be a pain.

Swanhunter Nov 1, 2019 12:02 pm

Plenty of time to connect but as others have said, are you happy with the financial consequences of major delay to the inbound resulting in you missing your BA flight. That’s the key point! If it’s a non-changeable revenue ticket or award you won’t get a lot of help of flexibility from BA’s handling agent locally and will probably be paying a lot for a fresh ticket.

YYCCL3 Nov 1, 2019 1:21 pm

Originally Posted by scubadu (Post 31690582)
Ummm... to each their own I suppose, but 6 hours seems a little extreme...

Regards

That's for a self-connect such as this... not a single ticket itinerary. I don't fancy the idea of paying walk-up prices for a long haul flight... :)

The_Bouncer Nov 1, 2019 3:06 pm

As others have said, it will probably be ok.

This very much depends on your own risk tolerance. Are you willing to stump up for a one-way walk-up fare if it goes belly up?

If it were me, hotels in Honkers are so cheap at the moment, I would just book myself in for the night and take the stress off.

Do you want to worry about it for days and spend your ADL-HKG flight wondering if you'll make it?

Or would you rather relax, have a few beers at a cheap, under-occupied airport hotel, get a good sleep and fly onward the next day?

hartwith Nov 1, 2019 4:34 pm

Some of the above feedback is way too conservative.

Yesterday I arrived into HKG on BA27 at 16.55. Out of the plane at 17.10. I comfortably made UO32 (HK Express) at 17.55 to Haneda. This was a separate booking that required passport check at the UO desk inside the transit area.

Granted I was HBO, but it is not a difficult airport to get through.

On a side note, come on England!