Converting Hotel points to Avios

Old Oct 30, 19, 10:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold
Converting Hotel points to Avios

Hi,

Does the current offer from BAEC to convert with a 35% bonus make it good value? I'm always suspicious of this type of offer!

Thanks
Old Oct 30, 19, 11:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver / VS /IHG Spire & Ambassador
Depends what cash value you put on your avios and the hotel points and if you then think that’s good value to you or not.
Old Oct 31, 19, 12:01 am
Original Poster

A tricky question! I'd normally use Avios for European CE flights or to upgrade LHR-SIN from PE to CW.
Old Oct 31, 19, 12:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OneSky Alliance Elite+ with Zirconium and oak leaf cluster, Braniff Unobtainium
Maybe Marriott, everything else is giving up bigger value in hotel rooms for considerably smaller value in flights. Unless you value hotel programs at basically nothing or have more point
s than God and will never spend them, or itís Marriott where 60k turns into 33,750 Avios (which isnít a terrible deal).
Old Oct 31, 19, 2:16 am
Original Poster

Thanks, I think I will pass on this offer.
Old Oct 31, 19, 6:40 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
Well it depends, I passed last time, but I have 6k Radisson points which expire next month, and which I will most likely never use so I think I'll move them across, but that's only 600 Avios I think. Otherwise, I'm not touching my stash of Hilton or Marriott points, no.
Old Oct 31, 19, 7:24 am

Programs: BA G, AA G(1MM), Hilton D
IMHO - not great exchange rates, even with bonus, so I'm with what others have said: little attraction to convert. My own reasoning is that having a stock of HH and IHG points can come in very useful on short notice trips. On an unplanned road trip (US) last year, cheapest hotel was $300 with taxes, but we found a great deal where <20k IHG points covered it. 20k IHG = 5400 Avios (inc bonus).

Search this Thread
Search Engine: