Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Some changes I would make to the Executive Club

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2019, 6:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, *A Gold, IHG Platinum

Hi all,

I recently published an article on my site about what changes I would make to the BA Executive Club.

My reasonings can be found there (https://www.inflightwithjames.com/post/how-would-i-change-the-british-airways-executive-club?/), but figured I would share it here too as it's likely to get more discussion!

I wont bore you with all the details, but the changes I would personally make are:
  • Increase the number of flights needed to gain status.
I've always thought it was mad that the BA frequent flyer club would give access to its top tier with just 4 flights on the airline. So make Bronze require 5, Silver 10 and Gold 20.
  • Ditch the peak/off peak awards
When the BAEC changes were introduced in 2015, I'm sure the reasoning behind there being peak/off peak times was increase the number of reward flights available. Yet it there doesn't appear to be any more? Why confuse matters with different pricing? Make it the same the year round. Even if that means peak pricing throughout.
  • Free drinks on board for Gold/OneWorld Emerald
AY do this. I'm led to believe AA do too. So for an airline that is constantly pushing themselves a premium airline above the LCC's surely a cup of tea wouldn't be too much to offer?
  • Give Silver/Gold card holders priority baggage
That Asterix on the OneWorld website is a little embarrassing. Surely giving elites priority baggage won't be too much hassle or cost of the airline... even if their priority baggage handing isn't the best out there.
  • Let Bronze card holders use the fast track at Heathrow.
Now that we have the first wing in T5, there's a number of people that won't be using the regular fast track. Allowing bronzes into the regular fast track likely won't make it any busier than it was pre first wing days?

Apologies if this has been covered many times before! Can't say I've noticed a thread recently on the subject though.

It would be interesting to see what other ideas are around, and whether I'm being reasonable or completely selfish in my assessment!

Last edited by jwhite9185; Oct 30, 2019 at 3:10 pm Reason: Added reasoning to make things a little clearer
Old Oct 30, 2019, 6:49 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
Originally Posted by jwhite9185
Hi all,

I recently published an article on my site about what changes I would make to the BA Executive Club.

My reasonings can be found there (https://www.inflightwithjames.com/post/how-would-i-change-the-british-airways-executive-club?/), but figured I would share it here too as it's likely to get more discussion!

I wont bore you with all the details, but the changes I would personally make are:

• Increase the number of flights needed to gain status.
  • Ditch the peak/off peak awards
  • Free drinks on board for Gold/OneWorld Emerald
  • Give Silver/Gold card holders priority baggage
  • Let Bronze card holders use the fast track at Heathrow.

Apologies if this has been covered many times before! Can't say I've noticed a thread recently on the subject though.

It would be interesting to see what other ideas are around, and whether I'm being reasonable or completely selfish in my assessment!
They're widely discussed. What problem are you trying to solve for BA?
Old Oct 30, 2019, 7:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Hope you're not using the forum to drive traffic to your site
Old Oct 30, 2019, 7:12 am

Programs: BAEC
So on some flights essentially the majority get priority, and many more people get fast track (which is already sometimes not-that-fast)! Genius

I'm not following your clickbait link but I'm guessing you underestimate the number of extra people, usual arguments about this will follow, etc etc.

I reckon the various status levels are pretty fair at the moment.
Old Oct 30, 2019, 7:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, *A Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by mikeyfly
Hope you're not using the forum to drive traffic to your site
Ther may be a little of that going on...

But more to save the forum having to read through 1000+ words of my ramblings. The option is there this way.

Originally Posted by Beansprout
So on some flights essentially the majority get priority, and many more people get fast track (which is already sometimes not-that-fast)! Genius

I reckon the various status levels are pretty fair at the moment.
Not following you there? If anything, any sort of status will be harder to get. Rather than a couple of QR or AA flights, you'll need to take a few more with BA - seeing as its a BA frequent flyer program.
Old Oct 30, 2019, 7:48 am

Programs: BA Gold, Subcard
I would like to see the time that guaranteed reward seats are released each night made random for each day as its unfair that people who "know" the system stay up late and book them within minutes of them being released or call up the USA to book return seats for 241 bookings.

Also giving silver members an extra bag in club would be a nice touch as its a bit strange to only give it when they travel economy.
Old Oct 30, 2019, 7:53 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
BA is not well-known for providing priority luggage to anyone. Oh, the feel-good tags come on, but they don’t do anything!
LTN Phobia, mradey, T8191 and 2 others like this.
Old Oct 30, 2019, 7:58 am

Programs: BA Silver, ZSL Silver
Originally Posted by GTR56
I would like to see the time that guaranteed reward seats are released each night made random for each day as its unfair that people who "know" the system stay up late and book them within minutes of them being released or call up the USA to book return seats for 241 bookings.

Also giving silver members an extra bag in club would be a nice touch as its a bit strange to only give it when they travel economy.
Is knowing the time any more in the know than knowing the date? If you were unsure, you could always call BA to find out. At the moment if you’ve done your homework you have a reasonabvle chance of getting the tickets you want. If random, you’d need to check all day.

I may be wrong, but I see the rationale of the extras aligning Silvers with the rest of the J experience, with the exception of the actual seat in the cabin itself. So you get J check-in, bags, lounge, fast track etc. no matter which cabin you’re in that day. In the same way Golds get (most) F benefits.
Old Oct 30, 2019, 7:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

It seems to be working just fine as it is for the majority of BAEC members. It could be a lot worse.
Old Oct 30, 2019, 8:00 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze, Mucci recipient
I am more with Beansprout than you jwhite9185. The idea of achieving Silver by being able to fly with another Oneworld airline is part of the point of being in Oneworld in the first place. Besides it also allows code-sharing and the ability to use the status gained in one flyer program on another. The status is really only easily achieved if one flies in business and BA makes it more difficult with the requirement that you also need 4 qualifying flights on BA operated and/or ticketed or IB.operated and ticketed metal. This requirement means that you can't get status in BA simply by travelling on another OW airline.

I also think Fast Track for Bronze card holders doesn't add much other than increased frustration for the rest that do already get that benefit.

I think the biggest let down for most people without status is not being able to choose a seat for free in business class at time of reservation. That said I am happy with that as it is a true benefit of being Silver or Gold. The lounge access as a Silver or Gold card holder is only really only a benefit if you are travelling in economy or WTP. If you travel in business or First you get lounge access anyway.
watersign and SuperstarDJ like this.
Old Oct 30, 2019, 8:02 am

Programs: Most of them, I think ...
Originally Posted by LondonElite
BA is not well-known for providing priority luggage to anyone. Oh, the feel-good tags come on, but they don’t do anything!
They certainly did on our return CTA-GTW last Saturday - they were already on the belt when my wife and I arrived from the ePassport gates at South Terminal.
Old Oct 30, 2019, 8:08 am

Programs: BA GGL, UA Plat, DL Plat, Hilton Diamond
How would your suggestions help to cut costs and/or drive additional revenue for BA ?

If they do neither, they will never be considered let alone implemented.

We can all enjoy playing "BAEC Manager 2020" though
Old Oct 30, 2019, 8:21 am
dsf

Programs: Nowt of note.
Originally Posted by timbo_baggins
They certainly did on our return CTA-GTW last Saturday - they were already on the belt when my wife and I arrived from the ePassport gates at South Terminal.
It's not obvious to me how you can be certain that priority tags had anything to do with this.
Old Oct 30, 2019, 8:23 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by timbo_baggins
This was good luck rather than anything to do with non-existent priority baggage handling.
Crampedin13A and subject2load like this.
Old Oct 30, 2019, 8:48 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
I am happy with BAEC as it is.
I do not understand why some people insist that must be harder to get status (and usually draw the line just where it's comfortable for them to retain what they have).
IAN-UK, PAL62V, T8191 and 8 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.