Transit Moscow - 2 separate PNRs

Old Oct 30, 19, 5:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver
Transit Moscow - 2 separate PNRs

Is it OK to transit in Moscow (DME) from a BA flight to a JAL flight which are on two separate PNRs? It'll be HBO so we wouldn't need to leave to get our baggage and re-check.

Thanks
Old Oct 30, 19, 5:32 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
I can't speak for DME but this certainly can be problematic at some international airports so be careful. BOM is a good example. It raises all sorts of problems for them in relation to counts of the number of people entering and leaving the country. If I had not had an entry visa for India when I tried it last time I would have been sent back on the next flight to the UK which would have been very unsatisfactory.
Old Oct 30, 19, 6:47 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, GGL, CCR
Yes, absolutely no problem. You need to show your onboard booking/boarding pass to BA check-in staff. It may take 5-10 minutes for them to clear you to travel without the visa, but no problem at all.

On arrival at DME, as you enter the immigration area, go upstairs (escalator to the right), then immediately turn left at the top of the escalator for transit boarding pass check/security, then immigration check, and you will be airside again within 10 minutes of landing.
Vasco Pridat likes this.
Old Oct 30, 19, 8:45 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Fine, but what if your second flight is cancelled while you're en route, or delayed overnight.
orbitmic likes this.
Old Oct 30, 19, 10:32 am

Originally Posted by armouredant View Post
Fine, but what if your second flight is cancelled while you're en route, or delayed overnight.
Same as you would do if this happened anywhere else. Get rebooked on a different onward flight, or abort the trip and book a flight home. OLCI in the transit area, and get a BP printed at the transit desk.

All you can't do, is go landside to stay longer or stay overnight.
Old Oct 30, 19, 11:04 am

Originally Posted by MrSimonR View Post
Same as you would do if this happened anywhere else. Get rebooked on a different onward flight, or abort the trip and book a flight home. OLCI in the transit area, and get a BP printed at the transit desk.
A comparable situation in post #56 of this thread:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...blank">#56</a>
Old Oct 30, 19, 12:08 pm
Original Poster

Can you transit without a visa across two days? I.e. overnight? Inbound arrives 15:00, outbound leaves 03:00. Only 12 hrs, but plus one day.
Old Oct 30, 19, 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by c1223 View Post
Can you transit without a visa across two days? I.e. overnight? Inbound arrives 15:00, outbound leaves 03:00. Only 12 hrs, but plus one day.
No; I don't think you'd be allowed to stay airside overnight, and you'd need a visa to go landside. Also:

"Thanks to the 2018 World Cup, a series of new regulations were implemented to promote ďgood behaviourĒ. Travellers may be fined 100 to 500 rubles for violations such as: using the airport for accommodations (thatís you, airport sleepers!)"
https://www.sleepinginairports.net/g...port-guide.htm
Old Oct 30, 19, 2:08 pm

The rules say you donít need a transit visa if you stay landslide and depart within 24 hours.

i wouldnít recommend it - the international terminal is one corridor on two levels with a handful of shops and lounges. Even if you go into the lounge 12 hours early (which I doubt), it will be a grim wait.
Old Oct 30, 19, 2:10 pm
Fairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: BA (Silver) Asiana (Silver) Hllton (Gold)
There have been a lot of threads on a similar theme as people try to get to the Rugby World Cup Final.
The flights via Russia seem to be the last cheap viable option.
There is a reason for that.
Most of the routings aren't protected. No doubt many will make it, but I'm equally certain we'll hear some horror stories after the fact.
There isn't necessarily any consistency in Russia and one person might be successful where another following exactly the same logic fails.
If you want security, get a single PNR and fork out the extra cash. FT folks can only advise, it's no guarantee.
Old Oct 30, 19, 3:11 pm
Original Poster

Is a routing on the same PNR protected? Presumably so?
Old Oct 30, 19, 5:03 pm

Originally Posted by c1223 View Post
Is a routing on the same PNR protected? Presumably so?
One PNR and one ticket, then yes absolutely.

However, donít worry about the naysayers (in this instance anyway). Russia is not some third world tinpot hole, itís a modern transport hub with clear and transparent transit rules - and these particular rules havenít changed for quite some time now. You are permitted 24 hours airside transit in the same airport (from a given list, but DME is there) if travelling to a third country, and wonít have any trouble at all from BA check-in or the Russian authorities as long as you have proof of onward connection.

The absolute worst that might happen is having to stay ages in a boring airport terminal. No different really from all those who transit UK/other European airports every day with no right to enter en route.
Old Oct 31, 19, 9:03 am

Programs: BA Gold / OW Emerald
Originally Posted by Confus View Post
One PNR and one ticket, then yes absolutely.

However, don’t worry about the naysayers (in this instance anyway). Russia is not some third world tinpot hole, it’s a modern transport hub with clear and transparent transit rules - and these particular rules haven’t changed for quite some time now. You are permitted 24 hours airside transit in the same airport (from a given list, but DME is there) if travelling to a third country, and won’t have any trouble at all from BA check-in or the Russian authorities as long as you have proof of onward connection.

The absolute worst that might happen is having to stay ages in a boring airport terminal. No different really from all those who transit UK/other European airports every day with no right to enter en route.
The worry is not Russia but rather BA's visa requirements, which have denied a lot of people the option to do a back-to-back, for example to go to Honolulu while originating from DME.
Old Oct 31, 19, 10:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by thebigben View Post
The worry is not Russia but rather BA's visa requirements, which have denied a lot of people the option to do a back-to-back, for example to go to Honolulu while originating from DME.
I think BA is just following the rules for TWOV set by Russia themselves - TWOV requires transit to a third country. You are right that when you are at DME the agents at the connection point don't care, but you can't expect BA to allow for that.
Old Oct 31, 19, 4:11 pm

Originally Posted by thebigben View Post
No, back-to-backs are people trying to push the boundaries, and BA is right to question them. Russian transit rules allow with no equivocation (in their mind or BAís) itineraries such as the OPís.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: