Community
Wiki Posts
Search

PHX 787

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2019, 9:22 am
Original Poster

PHX 787

I see that Phoenix has gone to the 787. Anyone know if this will be the -9 variant only rather than the -8?
Old Oct 29, 2019, 9:28 am

Originally Posted by kaizenflying
I see that Phoenix has gone to the 787. Anyone know if this will be the -9 variant only rather than the -8?
It's a -9 but it's only on this route until March when it changes to a 777-300
Old Oct 29, 2019, 11:09 am

Programs: BAEC Gold (GGL/CCR), HHonors Diamond
You would think they want the larger capacity for Winter, when the weather is bearable in PHX.
Old Oct 29, 2019, 11:32 am

Originally Posted by Gshumway
You would think they want the larger capacity for Winter, when the weather is bearable in PHX.
Summer demand is very strong ex-US, in addition to any ex-UK connecting onwards in PHX. More generally, the PHX flight has always had a very healthy share of US passengers in my experience, including many connecting through LHR to India.
Old Oct 29, 2019, 1:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Gshumway
Thanks
Old Oct 29, 2019, 4:50 pm

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond
Another factor is possibly weather and, specifically, temperature. PHX gets very hot in the summer (as does Las Vegas) and it wouldn't surprise me if there was an issue operating the 787 into / out of PHX in the height of summer. Certainly Norwegian wouldn't operate into LAS during the summer and this was apparently because the combination of temperature, altitude, and takeoff weight (mainly due to passenger numbers) put the aircraft out of limits for the climb limit weight as specified in the aircraft's flight performance manual.

I am not saying that is the case here with BA, but maybe someone more in the know about these things could comment further?
mikeyfly likes this.
Old Oct 29, 2019, 5:12 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club Gold, *G, EK Skywards Silver
AA went from a seasonal 777-2 to year round. 1 x AA 772 plus 1 x BA 747 is too much for the route. Hence 787-9 in the winter, stepping up to 773 in the summer.
Old Oct 30, 2019, 3:12 am

Programs: BAEC: Bronze, HHonors: Silver, Virgin Flying Club: Red, Miles & More
Originally Posted by surryson
AA went from a seasonal 777-2 to year round. 1 x AA 772 plus 1 x BA 747 is too much for the route. Hence 787-9 in the winter, stepping up to 773 in the summer.
I wonder whether the 777-300ER will actually stick around on this route after all the cabin refits, which will see these all going Hi-J. One, or maybe two summers max? Unless of course there is ever a case for Hi-J on this route.
Old Oct 30, 2019, 3:28 am

Programs: QF WP
Originally Posted by Geordie405
Another factor is possibly weather and, specifically, temperature. PHX gets very hot in the summer (as does Las Vegas) and it wouldn't surprise me if there was an issue operating the 787 into / out of PHX in the height of summer. Certainly Norwegian wouldn't operate into LAS during the summer and this was apparently because the combination of temperature, altitude, and takeoff weight (mainly due to passenger numbers) put the aircraft out of limits for the climb limit weight as specified in the aircraft's flight performance manual.

I am not saying that is the case here with BA, but maybe someone more in the know about these things could comment further?
apparently Phoenix is classified as “hot and high” for most of the year so you could be onto something here
Old Oct 30, 2019, 4:07 am

Having had a quick look at the power-to-MTOW ratio of a 789 vs a 744, 77E and 77W the former is lower than all the others (2.5-something with the others being in the higher 2.s), so that might explain the choice.

However, there’s plenty of airlines flying long haul hot & high with 787s; Ethiopian, Aeromexico, Avianca to name but a few. Even BA on the MEX route. I guess there’s an element of forecasted demand but also of limits of the airframe as they are calculated by BA.
Geordie405 likes this.
Old Oct 30, 2019, 5:18 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
It’s interesting seeing First maintained on the PHX route. When BA was phasing out ‘old First’, it was one of the routes which, for a time, had that product but sold as CW. Being a mid-J route, it could have easily been lined up for the A350. There is obviously demand there, and being an AA hub obviously helps.
Old Oct 30, 2019, 5:38 am

Programs: BA GGL, A3*G, Mucci de l'expertise des Apps
Originally Posted by TedToToe
Being a mid-J route, it could have easily been lined up for the A350.
Two things. Firstly, PHX does not currently have a parking stand in which to squeeze the extra 14 feet of A35K, although I'm sure once B25 has been re-jigged a bit that will be solved fairly easily. Secondly, a PHX rotation doesn't fit in 24 hours, so it was never going to be a launch route for the A350 while they only have one or two planes. They are always going to start off with a new type going to places it can easily run back and forth with plenty of ground time in between. Once they have a reasonable fleet of them then I'm very sure that PHX is going to be a prime A350 route for the very reasons you mention.
TedToToe likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.