Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Ideas for short break in F for my 40th [birthday]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2019, 6:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Blue these days

So next year is the big 40 for me... We have young kids so travelling hasn’t been like the good old days for us. I love our family holidays, but my parents have offered to look after the little lovelies for a few days to give us a chance to get away without them. This gives us a bit of a one-off opportunity to go a bit crazy and burn some Avios on a LH adventure without prams, car seats, bottles and everything else that we’ve done lately.
  • I’d love to fly F on another oneworld carrier, as I have never done that. Happy to use a 241 on BA on the outbound to save Avios if necessary (we currently have 400k). I’ll never have the Avios for a family trip of this nature, so this is really a one-off chance to do it.
  • I’m thinking 3-4 nights at our destination (in addition to likely having overnights on one or both flights) – don’t want to take the p*ss with my parents…
  • Birthday is in August but the trip could be later (so say October) to work with availability/climate etc.
  • We both like sight-seeing, but being able to sit in a resort with a nice pool (and maybe even a beach) for a part of the trip would be great (but not necessarily a deal-breaker). We both love food, too. Warm weather would be ideal.
  • We usually go to the US (to see family) so I’m ruling that out for now. Same for Europe, as we can go that easily with the kids, or if we go with family they can take the kids for the odd day if there’s somewhere we really want to see on our own.
  • I’ve been to CPT but my partner hasn’t (that doesn’t rule it out but harder to try a decent other F product), whereas she has been to TYO but I have not. I’ve done China and Brazil but neither of us have been to HKG or SIN.
  • We live in London.
Is it crazy to consider SIN, HKG, or TYO?

Exploring new places was something we used to love doing regularly and I can’t see when we’ll get this opportunity again, so any ideas, however crazy are welcome!
Old Oct 25, 2019, 6:30 am

Programs: BA Silver Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci.
SIN and HKG are crazy long flights for a short break and very hot in Aug but would recommend HKG pre troubles . Some great Hotels there and opportunity for local exploration even a short China excursion

TLV is a great shorter haul destination though would be better in October! Great sight seeing plus/minus Jordan

Bermuda is great if you haven’t been; weather variable in Aug as are some if the caribbean islands . Did a great long weekend to St Lucia

Tokyo could be a good compromise as shorter flight and a chance for a bit of resort too . You can climb mount fuji in August!
DeathSlam likes this.
Old Oct 25, 2019, 6:35 am

Programs: BA Silver (temp demotion), *A Silver, HH Gold, IHG Diamond
Not bragging (honestly) but have done Tokyo, Singapore and Shanghai as long weekends. All are perfectly do-able and aren't too bad jet-lag wise (even when you hit 40 - Mrs ST and I are both post that!). And just about to do Durban and Natal for a five day break. What makes the difference is the F (or J) travel and if you go East, the long ish flight allowing for a bit of sleep. Go for it.

To be honest, most of those trips have been opportunistic - availability, price and timings (OH has a job related to schools). So that's where I would start, given you have some flex in your schedule. Pick some options and then rationalise them.

Ahem ... Outside OW Swiss/LH have some decent deals in F and J right now to the Far East.
yellow_peril likes this.
Old Oct 25, 2019, 6:43 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
I wouldn’t rule out either HKG or SIN - the flights are overnight both ways so don’t eat into your “away” time and for HKG you have a chance of grabbing CX seats on the return though you may have to go via FRA/CDG rather than direct to LHR.

Both cities have plenty to do for 3-4 days; personally I think that would be enough in Singapore but you could easily spend a lot longer in Hong Kong. I guess the big and unanswerable question is around the political situation in HK - a lot could change in a year but a redemption gives you flexibility I guess.

In terms of “is it too far”, if you try to sleep well on the flight and push through the first evening on arrival I find the jet lag to be tolerable going outbound, it’s the return that kills me but 4 days wouldn’t be enough to fully settle into local time so probably not too bad either. We have done HKG for 4 nights away and that was fine.

Tokyo, I would leave for another trip. It’s an extra hour of time difference and there is so much to see and do that a short break would not even come close to doing it justice. The flights are also more daytime flights which will eat into your time away more than the SIN/HKG options.
daftboy likes this.
Old Oct 25, 2019, 6:43 am

I'm considering Shanghai as a long weekend destination. I've been a few times but Mr W hasn't. There's lots to see and do, a really vibrant place and most significantly often has good award availability. If you plan it carefully and route back through a third country you can try a different F product (CX, JL, even MH) and use the TWOV option so you don't need a visa.
SavvyTravel likes this.
Old Oct 25, 2019, 6:59 am

Programs: BA Gold
+ one for Tel Aviv, a great destination, minimal time difference and the weather is lovely in late September / early October (do check the Jewish holiday calendar though, as there are a lot of holidays around that time). You could also try Muscat (possible with Qatar as it's not part of the blockade) - less issues with jet lag and less time required than the Far East. Ultimately though, i think it is reward availability that will make your decision - there's not much of it in F.
nancypants likes this.
Old Oct 25, 2019, 7:19 am

Programs: BA Gold
I go TYO, fantastic country unlike any place I have visited, brilliant food, weather very nice going into autumn, can find hotel for a reasonable amount. JAL F is also very nice! There we go, decided!
Old Oct 25, 2019, 8:16 am
mhy

Programs: JGC
HKG in CX F then bum out at the FS for 3-4 days. You can leave the hotel...if you feel like leaving! Sounds like a vacation I'd book.
Old Oct 25, 2019, 8:38 am

Programs: BA Silver, AF Ivory
Muscat would be my recommendation
Old Oct 25, 2019, 8:50 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
KUL for me. Great city and 3 days is ample plus a long flight on the 787 in first to soak it all up.
Old Oct 25, 2019, 9:01 am

Programs: BA Silver (temp demotion), *A Silver, HH Gold, IHG Diamond
One further thought (crazy, maybe; and also in contradiction of your 'not USA" comment).... How about Hawaii???

Use a 2-4-1 to get to LAX and then AA on Avois or ££ (J should be pretty cheap in August).
Day flight out - gets you there the same day dependant on which island you pcik
3 nights in a resort plus the most amazing scenery and culture
Overnight back

Well and truly in the "crazy to do" it bucket but, hey, it is FT
seat 13a likes this.
Old Oct 25, 2019, 10:20 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by wdcosta117
KUL for me. Great city and 3 days is ample plus a long flight on the 787 in first to soak it all up.
I'll second KUL, SIN and HKG, but one additional recommendation is to fly QR F on the 380 to BKK. Don't know if it would require repositioning.
Old Oct 25, 2019, 10:23 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond *, IHG, Couples Romance Rewards
You could do SIN overnight then get on a plane to Bali, just over another two hours. Bali is beautiful...
Old Oct 25, 2019, 10:28 am

Programs: AA Gold Elite
How about Vancouver in August?
Old Oct 25, 2019, 10:28 am

Programs: BA Exec Club
I just did IAH for my 40th as part of bigger trip. The F trip was excellent, and it took us 25 mins from wheels down to in car, inc collecting luggage.

Lots to do for a long weekend, and you could fly out.of of AUS or DFW too?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.