Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Paying for non-sterling flights with sterling on BA.COM

Paying for non-sterling flights with sterling on BA.COM

Old Oct 24, 2019, 10:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by sammyg901
You could also try using Skype to call the sales number in your country of departure
I am certain they would charge in local currency
Old Oct 24, 2019, 10:28 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Virazuno
If you can, hold the booking on BA.com

Then call up and ask to pay the balance in GBP

This works every time for me, and avoids point-of-sale confusion.
This was the kind of experience I was seeking to hear :-D
Old Oct 24, 2019, 10:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
Funny isn't it? I pay with Amex and get the Avios for that. I treat any exchange charges as just a reduction on the saving that I have made buying an ex-EU. I really could not be bothered with all this faffing around on the phone to save a fraction of what I have saved. If that really is a problem then get a Halifax Credit card that does not charge this - another solution would be to have a Caxton card on which you can load your Euros or whatever at quite a good rate and use that to pay. I'm afraid that I am the sort that wants the transaction to go through as fast as possible. I was once booking a flight with Orangejet for HI and before I could finish the transaction it smugly told me that the seat that I was after had gone. I was furious and vowed I'd not let that happen again and will never fly with them again. So there!
Thank goodness we are not all the same. Life would be boring
PUCCI GALORE likes this.
Old Oct 24, 2019, 10:32 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Virazuno
If you can, hold the booking on BA.com

Then call up and ask to pay the balance in GBP

This works every time for me, and avoids point-of-sale confusion.
The hold function is not visible on the 'Review your flights' on BA.COM. For reference I'm departing from Norway and BA.COM states this option is coming soon
Old Oct 24, 2019, 12:01 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL
Originally Posted by mikeyfly
Can you get the same pricing on AA.com - hold and then call AA and pay? They're very amenable to use different currencies on the phone
Yes and no. I did this with AA with a dollar quote I had on hold for a MIA->BOG->UVF flight, and because I had not got a US billing address they insisted on repricing with a UK POS, which was significantly more money. So they may be amenable to using different currencies, but not necessarily giving you the same price. Mind you as the web site wouldn't even sell me something with a UK billing address, I guess I should be grateful.
Old Oct 24, 2019, 12:34 pm

Programs: Confirmed
Funny isn't it? I pay with Amex and get the Avios for that. I treat any exchange charges as just a reduction on the saving that I have made buying an ex-EU. I really could not be bothered with all this faffing around on the phone to save a fraction of what I have saved. If that really is a problem then get a Halifax Credit card that does not charge this - another solution would be to have a Caxton card on which you can load your Euros or whatever at quite a good rate and use that to pay. I'm afraid that I am the sort that wants the transaction to go through as fast as possible. I was once booking a flight with Orangejet for HI and before I could finish the transaction it smugly told me that the seat that I was after had gone. I was furious and vowed I'd not let that happen again and will never fly with them again. So there!
Try Revolut. Not just Euros, also dollars, yen and more.
Old Oct 24, 2019, 12:47 pm
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by SKRan
Try Revolut. Not just Euros, also dollars, yen and more.
I actually have a Caxton card. I have an incredible list of currencies. Most useful.

If I am arriving somewhere and I feel that I need some cash just to get started (taxis etc) and it is not a currency that I keep regularly - Turkish Lira come comes to mind - I'll tell you what I do as purchasing foreign currency in Spain is not for the faint hearted (as indeed is any of their banking until you get the hand of it). I order it through Moneycorp. You can pick it up at any branch and as luck would have it there is one just as one leave LGW South. Good rates - not in the least like the dreadful ones that they offer if you just pitch up. Now that has nothing to do with saving on currency exchange, but I thought that I'd share.
Old Oct 24, 2019, 11:58 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Hilton DIamond, AB Platinum (RIP)
Traveling mostly between SA and Germany and frequently using UUA or GUFs, I book most of my flights over the phone. A polite request to charge me in Sterling has never been denied and resulted in an exact conversion of the ZAR or EUR fare amount. Good case for HUCA I would say.
Old Oct 25, 2019, 12:19 am

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, Eurostar CB, IHG Spire, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz President Circle
I actually have a Caxton card. I have an incredible list of currencies. Most useful.

If I am arriving somewhere and I feel that I need some cash just to get started (taxis etc) and it is not a currency that I keep regularly - Turkish Lira come comes to mind - I'll tell you what I do as purchasing foreign currency in Spain is not for the faint hearted (as indeed is any of their banking until you get the hand of it). I order it through Moneycorp. You can pick it up at any branch and as luck would have it there is one just as one leave LGW South. Good rates - not in the least like the dreadful ones that they offer if you just pitch up. Now that has nothing to do with saving on currency exchange, but I thought that I'd share.
But why? That's faffy and you're still paying some commission. And being left with loose amounts in random currencies sitting around.

There are endless faff free and commission free options these days. AND they'll pay you to open an account (very painless) AND you'll earn points (revolut, curve etc). I can't believe savvy frequent travellers still use caxton or pre order money in this day and age!

Sorry O/T
Old Oct 25, 2019, 1:31 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by s1362083
But why? That's faffy and you're still paying some commission. And being left with loose amounts in random currencies sitting around.

There are endless faff free and commission free options these days. AND they'll pay you to open an account (very painless) AND you'll earn points (revolut, curve etc). I can't believe savvy frequent travellers still use caxton or pre order money in this day and age!

Sorry O/T
We have drifted away from getting Euros from ATMs at LHR, haven’t we? I’m very much of the It’s not broken so why fix it School, so I’ll look into these and keep what I know and trust for now, thank you.

What would be interesting is to know what the OP actually did.
Old Oct 26, 2019, 4:58 am
Original Poster

I’m very much of the It’s not broken so why fix it School... thank you.
You could apply your same quote to transitioning from a mobile to a smartphone...Each to their own :-)

What would be interesting is to know what the OP actually did.
I'm most likely going to book on Expedia with my GOLD AMEX for double avios or hold out until Norway hold function on BA.COM is introduced and call to pay balance as mentioned previously. With the latter, so that I'm not hit by any nasty suprises, I'll speak with BA regarding a dummy booking with a different routing first
Old Oct 26, 2019, 5:11 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
It’s annoying actually, many airlines let you choose the currency regardless of where you are before buying the ticket; naturally you need to go to xe.com as well to verify that the rate they give you is good!

swiss I think can be like 3% different on the fx, but from experience Turkish airlines is quite accurate so I always pay in GBP to avoid the Amex rip off.

seriously Amex, in the us the card is fx free but over here in backwards uk it’s an annoying 2.99%!
Old Oct 26, 2019, 10:03 am

Well I guess the alternative is to perform Ryanair/Vueling-style DCC on the website, offering a multitude of currencies but paying through the nose for it. So I guess it could be worse.
(Yes I know Amex doesn’t allow DCC. But for everyone else.)
Old Oct 26, 2019, 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by Confus
Well I guess the alternative is to perform Ryanair/Vueling-style DCC on the website, offering a multitude of currencies but paying through the nose for it. So I guess it could be worse.
(Yes I know Amex doesn’t allow DCC. But for everyone else.)
DCC is almost always worse than conversion fee.
Old Oct 26, 2019, 12:29 pm

Revolut has 1% cashback on some currencies. They also say they give a wholesale FX rate without a spread.
PUCCI GALORE likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.