Seat change for operational reasons

Old Oct 23, 19, 8:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC
Seat change for operational reasons

I am due to fly back from Brazil next month on an overnight flight and reserved seat 07K on a 788 so that I could have aisle access. However, I've just received an email from BA that says they have change my seat for operational reasons to 06K.

What could these reasons be? Is this because they need to seat for crew? Or perhaps they need it for some other use.
Old Oct 23, 19, 8:46 am

Programs: Tufty Club (Gold), BAGA Gymnastics level 4, 440yds swimming certificate
Same here from MEX next year
Old Oct 23, 19, 8:47 am

Programs: BA, Hilton
Probably crew rest seat. See this very helpful post from Boeing77W (who despite the name is, I believe, now a 787 driver)

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30899224-post563.html

(Tho in fairness, that post only lists it in the LHR-GIG direction, so not 100% sure)
orbitmic likes this.
Old Oct 23, 19, 8:49 am

Programs: Tufty Club (Gold), BAGA Gymnastics level 4, 440yds swimming certificate
Its historically only been a crew rest seat TO MEX / GIG etc. as per that referenced post
BertieBadger likes this.
Old Oct 23, 19, 8:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC
Thanks for the explanation and link. I can understand why they do it but it's slightly annoying as I paid to reserve that seat.
Old Oct 23, 19, 9:02 am

Programs: BA, Hilton
Originally Posted by The GIG View Post
Thanks for the explanation and link. I can understand why they do it but it's slightly annoying as I paid to reserve that seat.
As A P Yu correctly points out, it has historically only been in the LHR-GIG direction, so it may be for some other reason. I'm not an insider so can't say definitively - but it seems a probable explanation.

You can get a refund on seat fees if you've been shifted. If there are no direct aisle access (3A,3E,3K,7A,7E) left that you want, and 6K is the best option left to you then you can accept it and then apply for a refund after you fly (but within 2 weeks of flying). You could of course request a refund now, but doing so then risks you being shifted again into a poorer seat than 6K.

Oh, and welcome to FlyerTalk!
Often1 and The GIG like this.
Old Oct 23, 19, 1:33 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, AZ Gold, AS MVP Gold
Bizarrely I had the exact same e-mail this morning also. Moved from 7K on SJC-LHR on a 789 for a flight in a couple of weeks. Only seats available are in the middle, so slightly narked off.

Why don't BA just have 7K blocked from when the flight is available for booking?
Tobias-UK and nancypants like this.
Old Oct 23, 19, 2:34 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Had the same thing today getting bumped from 7K from Mex to Lhr. We've been shifted to 13A/B on the 787-9. It's not the end of the world, but had it happened a week ago could have bagged 7A and B.

I sent a polite message to twitter, but of course that will be a waste of time.
Old Oct 23, 19, 3:10 pm

All on the way back to LHR? Something has changed then. Hmmm.
Old Oct 23, 19, 3:15 pm

Yeh, something has indeed. I contacted twitter and they said it seems ever single flight has the same issue across many routes. News to them...
Old Oct 23, 19, 3:53 pm

Programs: BA Gold , Mucci recipient. Coffee Drinker, Blue Sky Thinker
Originally Posted by TTmex View Post
Yeh, something has indeed. I contacted twitter and they said it seems ever single flight has the same issue across many routes. News to them...
I understand BA do fly an engineer on every flight on certain routes to cover down line maintenance issues where local cover is lacking. Could this be related to that?
TTmex likes this.
Old Oct 23, 19, 5:04 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, AZ Gold, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by sunshinebob View Post
I understand BA do fly an engineer on every flight on certain routes to cover down line maintenance issues where local cover is lacking. Could this be related to that?
Possible but at SJC Id imagine any local cover can easily be provided by the local team at SFO given it is about 35 miles up the road.
TTmex likes this.
Old Oct 23, 19, 6:36 pm

Yeh, I doubt the engineer one, too. Especially as these are all inbound flights to LHR.

Perhaps as part of the ongoing negotiations with BALPA there has been some provision for additional crew rest on longer flights. Just an idea, but could easily be completely off the mark.
Old Oct 23, 19, 6:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Platinum & Ambassador
Originally Posted by TTmex View Post
Yeh, I doubt the engineer one, too. Especially as these are all inbound flights to LHR.

If there is an engineer on outbounds then they will need to be flown home at some point and will need a seat
TTmex likes this.
Old Oct 23, 19, 7:51 pm

Engineers would be on duty travel and would sit in any relevant seat. No that seat is purely blocked off for pilots rest, so something has changed to warrant that.

Search this Thread