Upgraded to Club Europe as blue member

Old Oct 23, 19, 1:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: CX, BA
Upgraded to Club Europe as blue member

Recently relocated back to London so decided to put my flights to BA and attain gold status. Although I'm still a blue member (only taken 1 actual BA flight), I've attained just over 1,000 TP in the past 2 months predominantly on QR biz. Upon checking in online for my 2nd BA flight ("basic" economy hand baggage only fare from ARN-LHR), was allocated a window seat in Club cabin. Flight isn't full as I can still select middle seats back in the economy section for an additional charge!

I had zero expectations with BA as a blue so it's a nice surprise. What type of "special" upgrade is this? (I'm assuming there are no economy only flights from ARN).
Old Oct 23, 19, 1:36 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, A3*G, UA 1K, Mucci de l'expertise des Apps
Are you sure it is in the club cabin and the curtain hasn't just moved or it's a display issue on the seatmap? Which flight is it and which seat have you been allocated?
Old Oct 23, 19, 2:08 am

Programs: BA GGL (ex-CCR, future silver), Hertz PC, Hilton Diamond
Given that you are blue with over 1,000 TP they know three things about you:

1. You fly "a lot." (That can be achieved quite quickly on QR, but they don't necessarily recognise that).
2. You don't fly BA much.
3. You are willing to spend money for premium cabins, but not necessarily when you fly BA.

So think of this as a sweetener: assuming you have been upgraded, and it's not just a question of the curtain moving, they get to show you their premium product in the hope that they will hook you on it. It happened to me as a blue as I was about to hit bronze for the first time.

Also I wouldn't assume that the flight isn't full: it just means that plenty of people haven't checked in down the back yet, so that you can still displace them, should you be so inclined.
nancypants likes this.
Old Oct 23, 19, 2:39 am

Programs: BA Silver
The system for giving free upgrades is deliberately obscure to prevent people gaming the system and to protect future revenue.

That said, there is a lot of anecdotal evidence that upgrades are offered more to people who BA think might be tempted to book higher cabins once they are given a free taster, whereas people who book higher cabins anyway (even if they have a higher tier of membership) seem to get overlooked.
Old Oct 23, 19, 2:46 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, HH Diamond, Radisson Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott Gold, Shangri La Jade
Yeah, I've had an upgrade from economy to prem when i was a blue member. sometimes flying alone works in your favour too.
flygirl68 likes this.
Old Oct 23, 19, 3:02 am

Programs: BA Gold, M&M Senator
How can you be blue if you have 1000TP?
Old Oct 23, 19, 3:10 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, A3*G, UA 1K, Mucci de l'expertise des Apps
Originally Posted by Flyinggold View Post
They only have 1 BA qualifying flight.
Old Oct 23, 19, 3:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver / VS /IHG Spire & Ambassador
Originally Posted by Flyinggold View Post
Because as OP states they havenít taken the requisite number of BA operated / marketed qualifying flights of 2 for bronze and 4 for silver and gold.
Old Oct 23, 19, 3:12 am

Programs: Some...
as OP explained : all TP through QR flights. he also needs BA flights to have a status
Old Oct 23, 19, 4:24 am

Programs: BA Bronze, Hilton Diamond, SPG/Marriot Gold.
Originally Posted by sarahluv View Post
sometimes flying alone works in your favour too.
This is overall a major factor in getting upgrades across a number of airlines. Not putting on a suit. Or dressing the missus in her old wedding dress. Flying alone.
EDIwanderer likes this.
Old Oct 23, 19, 4:43 am

Programs: BA Gold, M&M Senator
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear View Post
Because as OP states they havenít taken the requisite number of BA operated / marketed qualifying flights of 2 for bronze and 4 for silver and gold.
Forgot about those, sorry!

Search this Thread
Search Engine: