ATM Heathrow for Euros

Old Oct 23, 19, 1:53 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Carlsbad,CA USA
Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanuim/Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Gold, United Silver
Posts: 1,251
ATM Heathrow for Euros

Are there any bank ATMs at Heathrow that will give Euros? Arriving T3 and transferring to T5, connecting to a flight to Nice. I have almost a 6- hour layover. Through banks in the US, I am looking at paying about an extra 8% in fees for Euros, so thinking it would be cheaper to get from a bank ATM. Will be arriving in NIce late and would like some Euros for arrival for maybe getting sme food and a taxi.
holocker is online now  
Old Oct 23, 19, 1:57 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: UK
Posts: 102
The ATMs don't give a good rate either to be honest - somewhere in the 10-12% range below the market offering is to be expected . Can it wait until you get to Nice? You should be able to find an ATM in arrivals that will give a better rate of exchange.
Bohinjska Bistrica is online now  
Old Oct 23, 19, 2:01 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Programs: BAEC Silver, OWS
Posts: 22
I'd agree, I almost always use a local ATM at destinations.
drwook is offline  
Old Oct 23, 19, 2:14 am
  #4  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: London
Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Posts: 36,062
Originally Posted by Bohinjska Bistrica View Post
Can it wait until you get to Nice? You should be able to find an ATM in arrivals that will give a better rate of exchange.
I think that an ATM at NCE should simply send the charge to your bank in EUR, so that you're only paying a rate that's close to the interbank rate for the exchange, plus your bank's forex and cash withdrawal fees (if any). An ATM at LHR will almost certainly involve the application of some opaque exchange rate of the ATM operator's choosing, and it's very likely to be a poorer result.

If the OP really wants to have the security of having just a few € because of the late arrival and the possible risk that there won't be a working ATM at NCE, I wonder whether there might be a case for exchanging a small amount of cash at LHR rather than using an ATM. Particularly if the OP's bank would apply a per-transaction fee that makes a small withdrawal of EUR from an ATM poor value.
Globaliser is offline  
Old Oct 23, 19, 2:53 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: West London & 8th Arrondissement
Programs: BA Silver, AF Ivory
Posts: 1,952
For future trips, have a look at Revolut - most places (and taxis) will take a card.
wilsnunn, lhrsfo and spec119 like this.
dnajockey is offline  
Old Oct 23, 19, 2:55 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 218
You can always pre order cash via the Travelex website and collect from the airport. The rate is decent (when keeping in mind you are collecting from the airport)
DeathSlam likes this.
let_BAegones_be is offline  
Old Oct 23, 19, 3:14 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 6
To clarify one thing from the OP's post, there are no "bank" ATMs at Heathrow. All the ATMs on the estate (landside and airside) are operated by Travelex. I believe they give the same rate as card transactions at their kiosks, but that is unlikely to be in the customer's favour....
Cotswold Eagle is offline  
Old Oct 23, 19, 3:18 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: München, Germany
Programs: BA GGL (no longer CCR), Hertz PC, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 5,571
Originally Posted by let_BAegones_be View Post
You can always pre order cash via the Travelex website and collect from the airport. The rate is decent (when keeping in mind you are collecting from the airport)
Even if that's true, does Travelex allow a straight USD-EUR conversion, or does it need to be USD-GBP-EUR? Whether that applies to ATMs or kiosk transactions, even a great rate would be prohibitively expensive compared to just taking the hit once in France.
Cymro is offline  
Old Oct 23, 19, 3:28 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: LHR/ATH
Programs: Amex Platinum, LH FTL (Silver), BA Blue
Posts: 2,610
Originally Posted by Cymro View Post
Even if that's true, does Travelex allow a straight USD-EUR conversion, or does it need to be USD-GBP-EUR? Whether that applies to ATMs or kiosk transactions, even a great rate would be prohibitively expensive compared to just taking the hit once in France.
there is no hit in France no?

how much do french ATM‘s charge for withdrawal ?
ahmetdouas is offline  
Old Oct 23, 19, 3:33 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: London
Programs: BA Gold / OW Emerald
Posts: 685
Originally Posted by ahmetdouas View Post
there is no hit in France no?

how much do french ATM‘s charge for withdrawal ?
Nothing... unless you end up finding a scam-ATM. Any bank will have regular ATMs though. I do think they were referring to card fees, usually $5-10 per withdrawal and 2-3% foreign currency fee.
orbitmic likes this.
thebigben is offline  
Old Oct 23, 19, 3:37 am
  #11  
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Posts: 40,939
Sticking to the questions as posed:

- there are multiple ATMs dispensing Euros in Terminal 5 by gates 12-13 and several other places, close to the Travelex desks. You will be charged in Sterling to your USA bank, the Sterling fee will include a Euro to Sterling charge, so the fees could be quite hefty since you would be paying two sets of fees.

- in NCE there are a number of ATMs in Terminal 1, the easiest for someone arriving will be landside, by door A2, this is likely to give a better exchange rate. If that one isn't working then pop round to departures, the machines are on the glass side half way between doors D2 and D3. Nice is plastered in banks, there is no shortage of ATMs there. Looks for the signs saying "Distributeurs". This is likely to be best value for money short of direct credit card purchase for goods / services.

Credit and contactless card (in particular) is well established in France, the partial exception is taxis in that independent drivers greatly prefer cash. In the queue just past down to a driver who nods when you show a card, it's a fixed rate from the airport to downtown. However Uber works in Nice including the airport, so personally Nice is not one of those places - not many left now really - where I feel obliged to have cash readily to hand.

You can use plastic on the tram service too, and they have a good (was going to say nice...) App which you can set up partly in advance and thus get on your way hassle free. If your hotel is by the tram line the taxi is only going to save a few minutes but cost an extra 30€ or so.
corporate-wage-slave is offline  
Old Oct 23, 19, 4:42 am
  #12  

2019 Secret Santa
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 349
Thanks for the tips c-w-s; I am thinking of a trip to Nice to see the start of the Tour de France next year, very useful to know all that.
fluffymitten is offline  
Old Oct 23, 19, 7:33 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: UK
Programs: BA Gold, MB Platinum, IHG Platinum, Hilton Silver
Posts: 720
CWS - Is there no limit to your knowledge?!
LCY8737 and James91 like this.
MaxFlyer is offline  
Old Oct 23, 19, 7:45 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 4
Please be aware that recently the pickup point that the Uber app proposes at NCE T1 has changed to an area that necessitates the driver having a particular card access. Many of the drivers seem to be waiting for 2020 in order not to pay for the card which is attributed for a full calendar year, and quite often they resort to calling the client and proposing an alternative pickup spot next to the new Tramway T1 stop. This can potentially be a challenge if one does not speak French.

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave View Post
Sticking to the questions as posed:

- there are multiple ATMs dispensing Euros in Terminal 5 by gates 12-13 and several other places, close to the Travelex desks. You will be charged in Sterling to your USA bank, the Sterling fee will include a Euro to Sterling charge, so the fees could be quite hefty since you would be paying two sets of fees.

- in NCE there are a number of ATMs in Terminal 1, the easiest for someone arriving will be landside, by door A2, this is likely to give a better exchange rate. If that one isn't working then pop round to departures, the machines are on the glass side half way between doors D2 and D3. Nice is plastered in banks, there is no shortage of ATMs there. Looks for the signs saying "Distributeurs". This is likely to be best value for money short of direct credit card purchase for goods / services.

Credit and contactless card (in particular) is well established in France, the partial exception is taxis in that independent drivers greatly prefer cash. In the queue just past down to a driver who nods when you show a card, it's a fixed rate from the airport to downtown. However Uber works in Nice including the airport, so personally Nice is not one of those places - not many left now really - where I feel obliged to have cash readily to hand.

You can use plastic on the tram service too, and they have a good (was going to say nice...) App which you can set up partly in advance and thus get on your way hassle free. If your hotel is by the tram line the taxi is only going to save a few minutes but cost an extra 30€ or so.
vojnovski is offline  
Old Oct 23, 19, 8:31 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: BWI,IAD,DCA
Programs: UA gold, Hyatt Plat Marriott silver,Hilton Gold, PC Plat., SPG Gold.,Hertz Gold, Global Entry
Posts: 607
Originally Posted by dnajockey View Post
For future trips, have a look at Revolut - most places (and taxis) will take a card.
He lives in the US. Revolut does not work if you are a US resident.
powerlifter is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread