Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ATM Heathrow for Euros

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2019, 12:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanuim/Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Gold, United Silver
ATM Heathrow for Euros

Are there any bank ATMs at Heathrow that will give Euros? Arriving T3 and transferring to T5, connecting to a flight to Nice. I have almost a 6- hour layover. Through banks in the US, I am looking at paying about an extra 8% in fees for Euros, so thinking it would be cheaper to get from a bank ATM. Will be arriving in NIce late and would like some Euros for arrival for maybe getting sme food and a taxi.
Old Oct 23, 2019, 12:57 am

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Platinum
The ATMs don't give a good rate either to be honest - somewhere in the 10-12% range below the market offering is to be expected . Can it wait until you get to Nice? You should be able to find an ATM in arrivals that will give a better rate of exchange.
Old Oct 23, 2019, 1:01 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Volare Executive / Skyteam Elite+
I'd agree, I almost always use a local ATM at destinations.
Old Oct 23, 2019, 1:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Bohinjska Bistrica
Can it wait until you get to Nice? You should be able to find an ATM in arrivals that will give a better rate of exchange.
I think that an ATM at NCE should simply send the charge to your bank in EUR, so that you're only paying a rate that's close to the interbank rate for the exchange, plus your bank's forex and cash withdrawal fees (if any). An ATM at LHR will almost certainly involve the application of some opaque exchange rate of the ATM operator's choosing, and it's very likely to be a poorer result.

If the OP really wants to have the security of having just a few € because of the late arrival and the possible risk that there won't be a working ATM at NCE, I wonder whether there might be a case for exchanging a small amount of cash at LHR rather than using an ATM. Particularly if the OP's bank would apply a per-transaction fee that makes a small withdrawal of EUR from an ATM poor value.
Old Oct 23, 2019, 1:53 am

Programs: BA Silver, AF Ivory
For future trips, have a look at Revolut - most places (and taxis) will take a card.
wilsnunn, lhrsfo and spec119 like this.
Old Oct 23, 2019, 1:55 am

You can always pre order cash via the Travelex website and collect from the airport. The rate is decent (when keeping in mind you are collecting from the airport)
DeathSlam likes this.
Old Oct 23, 2019, 2:14 am

To clarify one thing from the OP's post, there are no "bank" ATMs at Heathrow. All the ATMs on the estate (landside and airside) are operated by Travelex. I believe they give the same rate as card transactions at their kiosks, but that is unlikely to be in the customer's favour....
Old Oct 23, 2019, 2:18 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by let_BAegones_be
You can always pre order cash via the Travelex website and collect from the airport. The rate is decent (when keeping in mind you are collecting from the airport)
Even if that's true, does Travelex allow a straight USD-EUR conversion, or does it need to be USD-GBP-EUR? Whether that applies to ATMs or kiosk transactions, even a great rate would be prohibitively expensive compared to just taking the hit once in France.
Old Oct 23, 2019, 2:28 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
Originally Posted by Cymro
Even if that's true, does Travelex allow a straight USD-EUR conversion, or does it need to be USD-GBP-EUR? Whether that applies to ATMs or kiosk transactions, even a great rate would be prohibitively expensive compared to just taking the hit once in France.
there is no hit in France no?

how much do french ATM‘s charge for withdrawal ?
Old Oct 23, 2019, 2:33 am

Programs: BA Gold / OW Emerald
Originally Posted by ahmetdouas
there is no hit in France no?

how much do french ATM‘s charge for withdrawal ?
Nothing... unless you end up finding a scam-ATM. Any bank will have regular ATMs though. I do think they were referring to card fees, usually $5-10 per withdrawal and 2-3% foreign currency fee.
orbitmic likes this.
Old Oct 23, 2019, 2:37 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Sticking to the questions as posed:

- there are multiple ATMs dispensing Euros in Terminal 5 by gates 12-13 and several other places, close to the Travelex desks. You will be charged in Sterling to your USA bank, the Sterling fee will include a Euro to Sterling charge, so the fees could be quite hefty since you would be paying two sets of fees.

- in NCE there are a number of ATMs in Terminal 1, the easiest for someone arriving will be landside, by door A2, this is likely to give a better exchange rate. If that one isn't working then pop round to departures, the machines are on the glass side half way between doors D2 and D3. Nice is plastered in banks, there is no shortage of ATMs there. Looks for the signs saying "Distributeurs". This is likely to be best value for money short of direct credit card purchase for goods / services.

Credit and contactless card (in particular) is well established in France, the partial exception is taxis in that independent drivers greatly prefer cash. In the queue just past down to a driver who nods when you show a card, it's a fixed rate from the airport to downtown. However Uber works in Nice including the airport, so personally Nice is not one of those places - not many left now really - where I feel obliged to have cash readily to hand.

You can use plastic on the tram service too, and they have a good (was going to say nice...) App which you can set up partly in advance and thus get on your way hassle free. If your hotel is by the tram line the taxi is only going to save a few minutes but cost an extra 30€ or so.
Old Oct 23, 2019, 3:42 am

Programs: BAEC Gold-GGL
Thanks for the tips c-w-s; I am thinking of a trip to Nice to see the start of the Tour de France next year, very useful to know all that.
Old Oct 23, 2019, 6:33 am

Programs: BA GfL & GGL, FB Platinum, MB Titanium, Hilton Diamond
CWS - Is there no limit to your knowledge?!
LCY8737 and James91 like this.
Old Oct 23, 2019, 6:45 am

Please be aware that recently the pickup point that the Uber app proposes at NCE T1 has changed to an area that necessitates the driver having a particular card access. Many of the drivers seem to be waiting for 2020 in order not to pay for the card which is attributed for a full calendar year, and quite often they resort to calling the client and proposing an alternative pickup spot next to the new Tramway T1 stop. This can potentially be a challenge if one does not speak French.

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Sticking to the questions as posed:

- there are multiple ATMs dispensing Euros in Terminal 5 by gates 12-13 and several other places, close to the Travelex desks. You will be charged in Sterling to your USA bank, the Sterling fee will include a Euro to Sterling charge, so the fees could be quite hefty since you would be paying two sets of fees.

- in NCE there are a number of ATMs in Terminal 1, the easiest for someone arriving will be landside, by door A2, this is likely to give a better exchange rate. If that one isn't working then pop round to departures, the machines are on the glass side half way between doors D2 and D3. Nice is plastered in banks, there is no shortage of ATMs there. Looks for the signs saying "Distributeurs". This is likely to be best value for money short of direct credit card purchase for goods / services.

Credit and contactless card (in particular) is well established in France, the partial exception is taxis in that independent drivers greatly prefer cash. In the queue just past down to a driver who nods when you show a card, it's a fixed rate from the airport to downtown. However Uber works in Nice including the airport, so personally Nice is not one of those places - not many left now really - where I feel obliged to have cash readily to hand.

You can use plastic on the tram service too, and they have a good (was going to say nice...) App which you can set up partly in advance and thus get on your way hassle free. If your hotel is by the tram line the taxi is only going to save a few minutes but cost an extra 30€ or so.
Old Oct 23, 2019, 7:31 am

Programs: UA gold, Hyatt Plat Marriott silver,Hilton Gold, PC Plat., SPG Gold.,Hertz Gold, Global Entry
Originally Posted by dnajockey
For future trips, have a look at Revolut - most places (and taxis) will take a card.
He lives in the US. Revolut does not work if you are a US resident.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.