Wiki Posts
Search

Change fee for TPE to HKG?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2019, 1:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, A3
Change fee for TPE to HKG?

We are keeping an eye on the HKG situation as we have one overnight in HKG while returning from TPE (all flights are using Avios). That leg is currently on Saturday 23rd November with the homebound flight on 24th.
It's s separate PNR and only booked so as to eat in a couple of particular restaurants!
There are currently lots of seats available on CX so the decision will be made later on whether to stay one more day in Taiwan.
From the sticky / ba link the fee is dependant on the departure country but nowhere can I see Taiwan! Am I missing something?
adrianlondon likes this.
Old Oct 22, 2019, 2:08 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
The change fee relates to your BAEC country of residence, which I suspect to be the UK.
Old Oct 22, 2019, 4:14 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, M&M, HHonors Gold
I paid £35 to change TPE - HKG flight. Couldn't cancel and rebook for peanuts as availability disappears about a week before flight date. So was forced to pay for a change.
Old Oct 22, 2019, 4:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, A3
Thanks c-w-s. I must have misread the ba site. Yes UK
Thanks Richmond_Surrey. Good to know that the flights need to be booked >7 days or likely not available.
Old Oct 22, 2019, 6:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
That might be online availability only though? IIRC you can still get the seats over the phone.

Alternatively, if your Avios balance allows, book both now and cancel "for peanuts" if that indeed is the case?
Old Oct 22, 2019, 7:09 pm

Programs: BA Silver, PR Elite, Avis Preferred Plus, PC Diamond Ambassador
A few data points you may find useful

1. Cash price OW TPE - HKG on CX is only £117 (today's exchange rate). That can even be got on the day of travel (HKG - TPE is £398!!!! A return with 2 nights in TPE is usually £171). That makes an Avios redemption pretty marginal in value terms.
2. The fixture list for rioting on that weekend hasn't been published yet. BUT they usually keep the airport express running between Central -only - and the Airport.

Personally I wouldn't risk Island side or Kowloon on a Sunday. Saturday pm onwards is also highly risky.

An option could be to get over to Macau via the bridge. Macau is trouble free and highly unlikely to change. I can get to Central Macau in about 90 minutes from landing in HKG. I'm usually in the lounge in HKG - same 90 minutes ex Macau. But I can use the egates at HKG The Robuchon at The Grand Lisboa has 3 Michekin stars. It is a very pleasant experience with a great view. But even 2* is pushing it. The Eight in the same building also has 3*. The Dim Sum is pretty special and amazing value.

The CX lounge staff at TPE are fantastic. Monday I was booked on the 17.45 to HKG. I arrived early at 14.30 having been rerouted via Brunei on Royal Brunei by MH following a cancellation. They managed to get me and baggage on the 15.20 - totally inflexible ticket.
Old Oct 23, 2019, 2:51 am

The CX lounge staff at TPE are indeed fantastic. I had an issue with my luggage and they were liaising with security for me, even showing me a photo of the relevant item, so I could sort the matter out all from the lounge. It is worth definitely considering business class avios redemptions in this region as the taxes/fees are low.
Modo likes this.
Old Oct 23, 2019, 3:45 am
Suspended

Friend went to change last Saturday and they asked for 350 UK Pounds, yes 350. Went to CX desk in TPE on day of departure with big smile and told them how amazed he was with his trip to Taiwan and they changed it for free.
Old Oct 23, 2019, 3:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by maball
Friend went to change last Saturday and they asked for 350 UK Pounds, yes 350.
Not an award ticket, though? Different rules for cash tickets.
Old Oct 23, 2019, 6:24 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, M&M, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by BA6501
That might be online availability only though? IIRC you can still get the seats over the phone.

Alternatively, if your Avios balance allows, book both now and cancel "for peanuts" if that indeed is the case?
I had no free roaming in Taiwan, so it didn't cross my mind to call any call centre. Wanted to book new flight to cut trip short and there was nothing for next few days, which is know thing. So the only way around it, was to change my existing flight booked for two weeks later and there was no problem in availability in that case. Could choose most flights on desired date. It was emergency, co couldn't plan it. But if I was at planning stage and wasn't sure when to fly back from TPE, I would certainly book couple of flights and then cancel those not needed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.