Avios & Barclays Current Account

Old Oct 24, 19, 3:09 am

Programs: BA silver, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by SavvyTravel View Post
PS I am already being tracked by the offer as ads are appearing for Barclays
Now I have HSBC ad for £175 to switch to them!

But to the question Frequentflyer99 posed, according to HeadforPoints today, self employed people will qualify effectively on the basis of paying in roughly £50k over a year.
Old Oct 24, 19, 3:47 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Frequentflyer99 View Post
Although I have income well over £75k, I don't receive a "salary" but am freelance self-employed and receive irregular payments from clients, Does anyone happen to know off-hand if that would suffice, or does it have to be identifiably a salary paid by a single organisation ? I can check with Barclays, but thought someone on here may have been through the issue.
I'm in the same position as you Frequentflyer99 having just become a freelancer. Today's HfP article seems to suggest that we'd be able to qualify.... but I guess it's at the discretion of the bank. We'd only need to have £50k net income (as the eligibility criteria for the account is £75k gross income).

I'm going to have a look at the terms and conditions over the weekend... Although I'm not a fan of Barclays, I do need to bolster my Avios account.
Old Oct 24, 19, 4:07 am

Another ex-Premier customer here and really can't recommend it. I'd shop around for a better account and buy the Avios.

I think if you are self-employed receiving payments directly into your personal account you should be OK providing you can show a decent history. But if you have a company and receive money into a business account and pay yourself from that sporadically with occasional large dividend payoutss they won't (or in my case didn't) like that so much.
Old Oct 24, 19, 4:51 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
I am very tempted, but I don't really want to close my existing current account....
Old Oct 24, 19, 7:56 am

Programs: BA Nada, HH Diamond, IHG Spire AMB, Marriott Plat, Accor Gold
Currently a HSBC Premier customer with a World Elite credit card, does anyone know if I’d be forced to close the card if I switched the current account?
Old Oct 24, 19, 10:06 am

I don't know how you'd be forced to close an existing account with another bank, but you'd have to meet any eligibility requirements for both. Barclays were quite cute about picking up people who transfer money in and then straight out again.
Old Oct 24, 19, 10:25 am
dsf

Programs: BA Gold
When I applied this morning, at the point of initiating the switch I was offered a full or partial switch. The former closes the old account and moves all debits etc, plus sets up account forwarding; the latter enables you to pick and choose what gets moved, and leaves the old account open.

All that said, the Ts & Cs are particularly clear - the very first sentence is:

Originally Posted by Barclays
You can collect 25,000 Avios when you complete a full current account switch
Unfortunately, I neglected to read further to where it says:

This offer is only available to those who were British Airways Executive Club Members before 22 October 2019 and received the original offer email.
I did not receive the email, but my partner did. I've initiated the full switch, and now expect to receive nothing. Never mind.
Old Oct 26, 19, 9:42 am

Programs: BA Gold (and many other greater and lesser distinctions)
I got the e-mail and have a spare current account which I don't use. It has a few £'000 credit balance but no DDs. I don't mind using the "full switch" to close that account, and can route £50k from my main operating account, in and out through the new Barclays a/c. I could also move a couple of DDs to the new a/c. I would plan to keep it open for (say) 6 months, or maybe close it once the 25k Avios have been credited. Any problem with this plan ?
Old Oct 26, 19, 2:01 pm

Originally Posted by estrangeiro8 View Post
I'm in the same position as you Frequentflyer99 having just become a freelancer. Today's HfP article seems to suggest that we'd be able to qualify.... but I guess it's at the discretion of the bank. We'd only need to have £50k net income (as the eligibility criteria for the account is £75k gross income).

I'm going to have a look at the terms and conditions over the weekend... Although I'm not a fan of Barclays, I do need to bolster my Avios account.
It's fine I've been free lancing for years and Barclays recognise the actual cash going in regardless of being actual "salary"
Old Oct 27, 19, 3:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by 225SG View Post
It's fine I've been free lancing for years and Barclays recognise the actual cash going in regardless of being actual "salary"
FWIW I've been self-employed for my entire (proper) career, which is measured in decades, and I've been in Premier since it started without there ever having been any issues.
Old Oct 28, 19, 3:11 am

Programs: BA GGL (98% to Lifetime Gold), SPG convert from IHG (and Marriott fan now!)
Originally Posted by windowontheAside View Post
Another ex-Premier customer here and really can't recommend it. I'd shop around for a better account and buy the Avios.

I think if you are self-employed receiving payments directly into your personal account you should be OK providing you can show a decent history. But if you have a company and receive money into a business account and pay yourself from that sporadically with occasional large dividend payoutss they won't (or in my case didn't) like that so much.
Next to useless in my experience from a few years ago.
- couldnít auto populate most of my mortgage application despite them having my current account
- they couldnít decide if I was or wasnít Premier, whenever I wanted something like the higher foreign ATM withdrawals I wasnít but I had a named manager etc.
- even today I keep getting emails about my Premier benefits despite not having had a current account with them for years (I left 1p in a savings account...)
- their technology was awful, when you managed to get a blocked payment unblocked they had a tendency to block online banking access entirely (I got a few hundred quid out of them for their breaching the Ts&Cs before leaving them); based on SmartInvestor stories it hasnít improved
Old Oct 29, 19, 6:38 am

Programs: BA Blue, EI Silver, Honours Gold, Marriott Gold
Is the income requirement different for joint Vs single accounts? Would it be £75,000 per account, 75,000 each or even £125,000 in total?
Old Oct 29, 19, 7:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Silver)
No email for me but that's not very surprising as I've dropped to Bronze which probably disqualifies me . Never mind, I've got free Lloyds Private Banking instead

Last edited by Jimmie76; Oct 29, 19 at 8:02 pm
Old Dec 11, 19, 4:40 am

Hi, I have just checked my account. I am not getting triple rewards or received any my avios voucher. Anyone in the same boat? Will give them a call.
Old Dec 11, 19, 4:58 am
dsf

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by whiteheatsyd View Post
Hi, I have just checked my account. I am not getting triple rewards or received any my avios voucher. Anyone in the same boat? Will give them a call.
The original offer email said:

Following a successful account switch you will receive an email by 20 December 2019 containing an electronic voucher code which you can use to redeem the applicable Avios
so I am holding off contacting them about the voucher until after that date (unless it arrives, of course).

Search this Thread
Search Engine: