Adding sector to existing booking

Old Oct 22, 19, 5:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle.
Adding sector to existing booking

Just want to confirm/correct my thinking...

I'm booked MAN/LHR/YYZ/DFW on Monday in Club, BA issued tickets with the YYZ/DFW on AA metal. Return, on same ticket, is AUS/LHR/MAN.

Originally I was doing a day in Dallas then driving to Austin, that day is now not required so I'll be going directly to Austin. I don't really fancy the drive after landing in DFW at 21.09, so am looking at the 22.40 AA hop from DFW to AUS instead.

I'm assuming if I call up and try and add it to the booking it will cause a change fee and reprice to be triggered?

I'm thinking the best option is just to book that on a single ticket, worst case I get delayed, miss it and end up driving or AA transfer me to a crack of dawn flight next day.

If I take the separate booking option I'm guessing I'd have to go HBO only as the chances of getting the bag checked through to AUS are slim at MAN. I can tweet both AA and BA to try and link the bookings and see if they'll do it but in your experiences what are the chances? I have a 90 min connection at DFW so suppose I could exit, reclaim, check and go back in as I have GE and PRE check...

Thoughts welcome.
Old Oct 22, 19, 6:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by tuonopepper View Post
I'm booked MAN/LHR/YYZ/DFW on Monday in Club, BA issued tickets with the YYZ/DFW on AA metal. Return, on same ticket, is AUS/LHR/MAN.

Originally I was doing a day in Dallas then driving to Austin, that day is now not required so I'll be going directly to Austin. I don't really fancy the drive after landing in DFW at 21.09, so am looking at the 22.40 AA hop from DFW to AUS instead.

I'm assuming if I call up and try and add it to the booking it will cause a change fee and reprice to be triggered?
With that itinerary, it's almost certainly fared with an outbound component of MAN-DFW and an inbound component of AUS-MAN. If your current fares include a change fee, then any change is going to incur this.

On the assumption that that is how your current ticket is fared, if you were to add DFW-AUS to the outbound trip then on the face of it that might be counted as a change to the first fare component (changing it from MAN-DFW to MAN-AUS), therefore requiring a reprice at today's fares (which could be high given that travel will start in the near future).

However, a quick check on ITA suggests that if you add DFW-AUS to the ticket after stopping in DFW for a day, the new ticket can be fared as MAN-DFW and DFW-MAN (with a stopover at AUS in the second fare component). So if you were to make this change, it would not involve a change to the first fare component (you'd be changing the second fare component from AUS-MAN to DFW-MAN), and it should be capable of being repriced using historical fares. You'd still have to pay the change fee and the stopover might well attract a further fee, but that might still be cheaper overall than paying today's fares for the new itinerary.

What I can't immediately see from ITA is whether that would also work if you booked DFW-AUS on the same day as YYZ-DFW. But it might be worth asking.
Old Oct 22, 19, 6:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GfL+CCR, Aclub Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Yes to reprice and change fee unless you booked this less than 24 hours ago.

Normally, the separate ticket would not be recommended as the two itineraries being separate, if you miss the start of the second, you would normally lose the rest of the itinerary, however, in this specific case, because it would involve AA, they tend to go beyond the call of dury and protect separate OW itineraries which no other airline does. In that case, they may indeed put you on the next available flight, though do note that for instance, if your flight is in business, they may very well offer to only rebook you in economy. Also, a word of caution that nowadays, this does not seem visible in official documents as far as I can tell (there was a time when it could be found online) so there may be an element of informality and thus risk in the protection of separate itineraries.
Old Oct 22, 19, 6:07 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer

I'm thinking the best option is just to book that on a single ticket, worst case I get delayed, miss it and end up driving or AA transfer me to a crack of dawn flight next day.
If you make the change in under 24 hours of the original booking - if done via BA.com as opposed to a travel agent - you can make a change like this without a change fee. However you would have to pay the extra on the extra leg, which could be very low (or could be otherwise). But if you are under 24 hours you need to do that before the clock runs out.

If you don't make the connection then AA will simply rebook you on the next flight, and that will also deal with any checked luggage. Happens all the time and that is one of the benefits of a single reservation. If you book it as a separate ticket then yes you need to allow enough time to collect baggage, 90 minutes doesn't seem enough to me. Note also one factor on a single reservation: if you are late and in the end do decide to drive, then you need AA to protect the return reservation. If the delay is overnight they will be happy to do this, usually, but otherwise if you miss one leg the rest of the reservation could get voided.

"Linking" bookings is useless, it isn't going to make any difference.
Old Oct 22, 19, 6:10 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by orbitmic View Post
Yes to reprice and change fee unless you booked this less than 24 hours ago.

Normally, the separate ticket would not be recommended as the two itineraries being separate, if you miss the start of the second, you would normally lose the rest of the itinerary, however, in this specific case, because it would involve AA, they tend to go beyond the call of dury and protect separate OW itineraries which no other airline does. In that case, they may indeed put you on the next available flight, though do note that for instance, if your flight is in business, they may very well offer to only rebook you in economy. Also, a word of caution that nowadays, this does not seem visible in official documents as far as I can tell (there was a time when it could be found online) so there may be an element of informality and thus risk in the protection of separate itineraries.
With it being a 1 hr hop, I'd likely book it in eco anyway 9f it's a separate booking. It's the last flight of the day so if I miss it then I'd probably do the drive anyway as that's no worse than getting up at silly o clock for the first flight of the next day.

I'll figure out if I can get away with HBO, if so then I'll probably chance it as with 90 mins I can sbsord some delay. I believe I'll clear US customs etc at YYZ so land at DFW ala domestic.
Old Oct 22, 19, 6:13 am

Programs: BA Gold
I have a 90 min connection at DFW so suppose I could exit, reclaim, check and go back in as I have GE and PRE check
Your arrival at DFW would be domestic due to completing USA immigration Pre-clearance at YYZ. If you were HBO then you could just proceed to the onward departure gate.

ETA: Yes what you said
tuonopepper likes this.
Old Oct 22, 19, 6:26 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Steve_ZA View Post
Your arrival at DFW would be domestic due to completing USA immigration Pre-clearance at YYZ. If you were HBO then you could just proceed to the onward departure gate.

ETA: Yes what you said
I think that's how this is going to pan out, may put my smaller carry on inside my larger one or take my emergency duffle bag in it and then check the larger one on the return as I have requests from the kids to grab them new trainers from the outlets and perfume etc for the Mrs!
Old Oct 22, 19, 8:17 am

Programs: BA, DL
'if done via BA.com as opposed to a travel agent - you can make a change like this without a change fee. However you would have to pay the extra on the extra leg, which could be very low (or could be otherwise).'

Just to pick up on the above, any Travel Agent should (I certainly would, and hope everyone else would! ), be able to void tickets on same day of issue and introduce that leg into the booking. And yes correct with the extra fee for that leg.

One of the benefits of dealing with a person, rather than booking through an online site!
Old Oct 22, 19, 11:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JamieTC View Post
'if done via BA.com as opposed to a travel agent - you can make a change like this without a change fee. However you would have to pay the extra on the extra leg, which could be very low (or could be otherwise).'

Just to pick up on the above, any Travel Agent should (I certainly would, and hope everyone else would! ), be able to void tickets on same day of issue and introduce that leg into the booking. And yes correct with the extra fee for that leg.

One of the benefits of dealing with a person, rather than booking through an online site!
All booked via Amex GBT as corporate travel, my experiences of asking them for anything outside of super easy is that your expectations above may be a little high in their case :-)

Search this Thread