Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

A question on overhead bin etiquette (CE) - please help me to improve myself

Old Oct 21, 19, 6:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott Titanium

Dear All

Was boarding with my wife yesterday PM BA955 from MUC to LHR. As I spent too much time with my wife in the lounge, we've missed Group 1 and boarded practically as the last passengers. The passengers ahead of us had to check in their hand luggage at the gate, but given my boarding pass colour the agent allowed me to take my luggage with me. We were flying in Y.

Once entering the aircraft, all bins in Economy were full and CE bins were max 40% used with CE cabin fully seated. Given that, I put my Rimowa hand luggage plus a bag with 2 bottles of wine in the CE bin and went on to row 14.

So far so good, but once leaving the aircraft the CSD said instead of bye bye that 'you are lucky that your luggage is not already offloaded as CE passengers are already gone'.

Now I need to admit that I found the comment not very helpful to say the least and I said that he 'hopefully can accept my apologies as a Gold status customer' to which he replied 'ah ja ja'.

Question: A day later I feel almost embarrassed about my 'do you know who I am' - so would have been your expectation that I need to look for space in Y? I know that US planes have stickers saying 'for Business pax only'. I thought it makes life both easier for crew and for me if using the bin directly. Should I have asked before? Is everybody asking before you such a bin as Y passenger?

In any case, I just like to find out if I am an uneducated pr***k but promise to improve my behaviour in that case.
Old Oct 21, 19, 6:33 am

Programs: BA Silver
I’d say if you’re pretty much last on any bin space is fair game, but you should be seen to make an effort to place it nearby before in CE.

The crew member sounds like the problem here.
Old Oct 21, 19, 6:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The comment from the CSD was nonsense as the luggage would not be off-loaded in such a situation until the plane is entirely empty but perhaps the best way to deal with it is to clear what you do with cabin crew. If you were among the last to board and all eco bins were indeed full, what you did is pretty much what cabin crew would have done anyway but it is better to get the OK from them. Your status was not particularly relevant here anyway so referring to it does feel indeed a bit DYKWIA.
Old Oct 21, 19, 6:44 am

Programs: BA Gold
Goodness - I would follow this up as a complaint with BA.
Old Oct 21, 19, 6:44 am

Originally Posted by Duck1981 View Post
As I spent too much time with my wife in the lounge
I think we've found the problem here. Less time with the wife, more time on the plane. Sorted.
Old Oct 21, 19, 6:49 am

I think the CSD was talking nonsense. If you went to your seat, found no space and came back to CE to stow your bag then I don't think you have a problem with etiquette.

If you decided from the front that the lockers looked full so preemptively snagged space in CE on your way through to row 14 then that's a tad opportunistic in my book.

As unsolicited feedback, I'm not sure that the brand of your bag, or its contents is material to the question.
Cymro likes this.
Old Oct 21, 19, 6:51 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, then a handful of points on everything else.
I doubt the CSD noticed you boarding, so when you disembarked he wouldn't have known that all the CE pax were seated and the ET bins full when you loaded you case.

I'm mildly surprised that the CE bins were only 40% full, they're often much fuller than that earlier in the boarding process from others doing exactly the same.

Perhaps there had been some contention over baggage on the way out and the CSD was having a bad day, I'd just forget about it.
Old Oct 21, 19, 6:52 am

Programs: BA Blue, EI Silver, Honours Gold, Marriott Gold
I wonder if the CSM was unaware of the circumstances during boarding, that you were almost the last to board and the the overheads in Y were full. Could it be possible that the CSD thought you were one of those who simply slings their cabin bag in the CE overheads and heads off to the depths of Y as a routine?
HIDDY and nancypants like this.
Old Oct 21, 19, 6:58 am

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
In the OP's situation I would have briefly asked the CSD if it was ok to place the bag there- maybe with a flash of the boarding card (to subtly show status). As someone above has said, it's probably where it would have ended up anyway. This is assuming that all (or nearly all) of CE had indeed already boarded, such that there was minimal chance of it inconveniencing them. You could also additionally have given the assurance that you would remove it again if anyone in CE joined late and was unable to accommodate their bag. I find the CSD's comment to be very strange. Was it said in jest? Sounds like a crap joke rather than any sort of rebuke, but either way I'm not sure this is complaint worthy.
Old Oct 21, 19, 6:58 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by windowontheAside View Post
I think the CSD was talking nonsense. If you went to your seat, found no space and came back to CE to stow your bag then I don't think you have a problem with etiquette.

If you decided from the front that the lockers looked full so preemptively snagged space in CE on your way through to row 14 then that's a tad opportunistic in my book.

As unsolicited feedback, I'm not sure that the brand of your bag, or its contents is material to the question.
Good point - understand, but I have mentioned that as they tend to be quite heavy and at max size re/ hand luggage, so I thought that might have been an additional reason for the CSDs comment.
Old Oct 21, 19, 6:59 am

Programs: SK EBG for Life (*G), BA Gold, HH DIA, IC Platinum Ambassador, Hertz President's Circle, Sixt Plat
Surely good etiquette would be to ask a member of the crew if it would be okay to put your stuff in a CE overhead bin as you are one of the last to board, and there is no space in Y? - rather than just dump in in there in the first place.
Old Oct 21, 19, 7:00 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Penfold101 View Post
I think we've found the problem here. Less time with the wife, more time on the plane. Sorted.
If that would be so easy

Yes agree though - I was also rather surprised that we are so late...
Old Oct 21, 19, 7:02 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by NickB View Post
The comment from the CSD was nonsense as the luggage would not be off-loaded in such a situation until the plane is entirely empty but perhaps the best way to deal with it is to clear what you do with cabin crew.
Indeed, on almost all recent shorthaul flights that I can think of, if the overhead space above you is full then you find somewhere else. Sheer commonsense, ditto on a train or coach. Now the one and only very slight error here is to not simply mention to the nearest crew member "I'm just going to place this at the end of CE to speed things up". So not even a request. The alternative, which I really dislike, is people standing in the aisle, close to departure, staring desparately into a full overhead, hoping that somehow it will be all magicked away through piety. But when that happens, what do the crew do? Whisk any spare bags over to CE.

No CSD on that route, but I find the CSM's reaction nonsensical and at odds to what every other SCCM would do/say.
Old Oct 21, 19, 7:03 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mikeyfly View Post
Goodness - I would follow this up as a complaint with BA.
Na, maybe my English is not good enough and he meant it not that way, so I won't follow up. More interested in what's the best way to avoid such things going forward
Old Oct 21, 19, 7:05 am

Programs: BA Gold , Mucci recipient. Coffee Drinker, Blue Sky Thinker
Its in instances such as this that the BA Gold luggage tag is of some use. It would have indicated to all that the OP was an experienced traveller with status and would have prevented any comment from the crew.

Search this Thread