Wiki Posts
Search

Non-smoking BA Flights

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2019, 2:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold
Non-smoking BA Flights

I have just looked at MMB for an up and coming trip and I noticed that the flight is described as:
BA0295 Non smoking
Obviously I must have seen this every time I look at my flight details on MMB but it is the first time it has occurred to me that the "Non smoking" was even there.

Do BA have any flights where passengers are allowed to smoke anymore? I would be surprised if there were then surely explicitly saying "Non smoking" is completely superfluous?

Are there any commercial flight anywhere nowadays where smoking is allowed?
Old Oct 21, 2019, 2:38 am

Programs: Ba Silver ( for now!)
I seem to recall that JAL had some flights that allowed smoking but they may now have stopped
Old Oct 21, 2019, 2:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
I would guess it's a multi-cultural, multi-National, reminder that we don't do that any more!
Old Oct 21, 2019, 2:41 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
No more superfluous than all the non-smoking signs in buildings in countries where it's illegal to smoke indoors.
Old Oct 21, 2019, 2:44 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by jeremyBA
I seem to recall that JAL had some flights that allowed smoking but they may now have stopped
And Tokyo was the last route where BA allowed smoking, it being banned from 1 April 1998. Virgin's final smoking-allowed flight was also on the same day, same route.
Old Oct 21, 2019, 2:48 am

Programs: BA Silver
I have a vague recollection that airlines have a legal requirement to point out that flights are non-smoking, hence all the seemingly superfluous reminders. Am I imagining this?
Old Oct 21, 2019, 3:06 am

Programs: QF WP
My recent MH flights they seemed to be really really pushing the no smoking thing, including on arrival “welcome to......and thank you for observing malaysia airlines no smoking policy”. Made me wonder if there have been an upsurge in incidents?
Old Oct 21, 2019, 3:40 am

Programs: Gold, Some red card and some hotel cards.
Maybe its due to people using e-cigs who thinks its fine to use them onboard?
Old Oct 21, 2019, 4:19 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Is this not just a hangover from when flights were classified as smoking or non-smoking in the GDS?

It's probable that no-one's got around to changing it!
nancypants and JamieTC like this.
Old Oct 21, 2019, 4:22 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
There's one BA pilot who says something along the lines of "I need to advise you this is a non smoking flight, which probably sounds obvious but the CAA oblige me to point this out".
T8191 and HIDDY like this.
Old Oct 21, 2019, 5:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold
Interesting. I suppose it might be a requirement. I don't have an issue with it (how could I!) but it just feels a bit strange that is all. Thanks for your input

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.