Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA’s plans in Australia

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2019, 6:12 am

I was just thinking about this yesterday!

BA could actually fill the seats LHR-SIN most days , there is huge amount of business demand and sometimes it can be hard to get a seat. SIN-SYD I am not so sure, they are one of the cheaper options on this route for the local traffic, though that suggests yield isn't great and they'd be happy to give up the lowest fare Y passengers who just fly this segment.

I thought I read that some of the A350 will have an F cabin, so maybe one of those? Since presumably we will start seeing the 77W on some routes replacing the HI-J 747s instead.
Old Oct 21, 2019, 6:34 am

Programs: BA, Virgin, Lufthansa
Originally Posted by smiles in the aisles
The 787-10 will not have crew bunks so that rules that one out. Any chance the 747 makes a return? 🙏
Recently Willie Walsh stated BA wouldn't fly the 747s after 2024

https://www.theguardian.com/business...from-next-year
Old Oct 21, 2019, 7:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
For passengers originating in Australia, the QF domestic to QF international (and vv) connection at SYD is a time-consuming pain due to the configuration of the airport terminals there. I could imagine people preferring to connect at PER instead, even though for most it would mean a long domestic flight. OTOH, if the PER flight is so expensive, that would folks reason to accept the inconvenience if they're starting from eastern Australia, or alternatively fly through some convenient connection airport such as SIN or HKG that has nonstop service from their airport in Australia.
Modo and nancypants like this.
Old Oct 21, 2019, 8:19 am

Originally Posted by rapidex
They still do.
Really?

BA used to handle their 388 from an Engineering point of view over in FRA... Them closing the route was one of the reason for the station being shut down..
Old Oct 22, 2019, 12:50 pm

In other news, Air NZ is shutting down the LHR-LAX-AKL flight. Sad to see it go, especially for the great gals and guys working for them at LHR.

London decision

Los Angeles-London has been a flagship route for Air New Zealand and an important link connecting New Zealand and Europe since its launch in 1982, however Mr McDowall says market dynamics have affected performance in recent years.

"Today Kiwis have more than twice the number of ways to fly to London than a decade ago and preferences have changed. Less than seven percent of all airline travellers between Auckland and London chose to fly via Los Angeles last year.

"At the same time, the Atlantic has become one of the most hotly contested routes in the world and Air New Zealand lacks the home market advantages and scale of the North American and European airlines we're up against."

Mr McDowall says the hardest aspect of the decision is the impact on Air New Zealand's people who've worked incredibly hard to build the route and to achieve the highest customer satisfaction levels across the airline's international network.

"Sadly, the withdrawal will see the disestablishment of our London cabin crew base of around 130 people and, subject to consultation, around 25 roles in our Hammersmith sales office and ground team. We will be working with our people and their union to help with the next steps in their career, including looking at opportunities in other areas of the airline."

Los Angeles-London will operate as scheduled until October 2020 and no tickets have been sold beyond this date. Air New Zealand has chosen to announce the withdrawal more than a year in advance to allow time to support its people and to avoid any impact to customers booked to travel.
https://www.airnewzealand.com/press-...tional-network
Old Oct 22, 2019, 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by 13901
In other news, Air NZ is shutting down the LHR-LAX-AKL flight. Sad to see it go, especially for the great gals and guys working for them at LHR.
Not entirely surprising, especially if they can make the New York route work well in the alternative. That's an exciting route launch and will be an interesting one to watch.
Old Oct 22, 2019, 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by Nicc HK
not too long ago served Perth, Adelaide, Brisbane, Melbourne, Auckland and Christchurch along with Sydney.
It was ages ago!
Old Oct 22, 2019, 4:46 pm

Originally Posted by gw76
It was ages ago!
It doesn’t feel that long ago. Depends on your perspective, and age, maybe.
allturnleft likes this.
Old Oct 22, 2019, 5:58 pm

Programs: QF WP
Originally Posted by flygirl68
It doesn’t feel that long ago. Depends on your perspective, and age, maybe.
perhaps a year might help 😉
Old Oct 22, 2019, 6:30 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Asia Miles Air China
Originally Posted by 13901
They also used to run to FRA but don't remember via what....
It was Singapore. I had booked onto it but QF closed the route first
13901 likes this.
Old Oct 22, 2019, 6:33 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Asia Miles Air China
Originally Posted by gw76
It was ages ago!
Mid 1990s, so to me not that long ago, I guess function of age
Mwenenzi and nancypants like this.
Old Oct 23, 2019, 1:07 am

Programs: Tufty Club (Gold), BAGA Gymnastics level 4, 440yds swimming certificate
Originally Posted by Ldnn1
Not entirely surprising, especially if they can make the New York route work well in the alternative. That's an exciting route launch and will be an interesting one to watch.
I did not see this one coming. But it does make you wonder if BA needs any SYD service on its own metal longer term when through its network of alliances and partners it too can provide a number of routes to SYD, along with the QF Sunrise routes which, if progressed, will be around in the next couple of years. In 2023 there may be a direct QF route to SYD from LHR, other options for BA to connect to QF services in JFK / LAX / SFO / ORD / JNB / SIN / HKG etc. Whilst BAs SYD service is reported to be profitable, I'm sure there are others which would also be profitable.
nancypants likes this.
Old Oct 23, 2019, 1:56 am

Programs: BA Silver Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci.
How do you think BA would fare on an ultra long route; could they get a service to match?

How is the qantas Perth route going down in economy?

I would love BA to give these routes a go!

Could not dedicated 787 1000s be specially configured :-)
Old Oct 23, 2019, 2:00 am

Programs: BAEC Blue/Bronze, Krisflyer, Qantas
I think BA should put some love into Australia. It's a growing market and I expect airlines will shift focus increasingly to long haul with demand expected for fall in short haul due to climate change concerns.

Atleast get some modern seating, and possibly take advantage of the recent Air NZ announcement - extend KL to Brisbane (and change the aircraft type). Lots of cheap routing options to NZ from Brisbane.
Old Oct 23, 2019, 2:10 am

Just did a quick google, looks like BNE ended in 2000, and MEL in 2006, for Perth I found 2 years, either 2000 or 2006 ��.♀️.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.