Wiki Posts
Search

Exit Row capability

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2019, 11:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: KrisFlyer, BA Executive Club
Exit Row capability

Am sat on flight to LUX, in usual exit row seat by aisle. Pax in window seat had to have help lifting her bag into overhead. I think the emergency exit doors are in excess of 15kg and also an awkward shape.
I知 not Inspector Morse but I知 guessing the pax is north of 65 years. Should BA introduce a policy to prevent the elderly/ infirm from being placed in these seats?
I fully expect when CC come to check are we all ok in exit row there will be an affirmative response!
Old Oct 20, 2019, 11:13 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I don't think age per se is the issue - my 80 year old neighbour farmer is able to carry 50 kgs of sheep without breaking sweat - but ability to manipulate 15 to 20 kgs of door is a legitimate concern. If someone is unable to shift a sack of potatoes they shouldn't be in the emergency row. The problem is that this detail isn't made clear when BA ask those in the emergency row if they are willing and able - as you say the reply will normally be "yes" and what can the cabin crew do then? If you have real concerns then you perhaps can raise them quietly with the SCCM.

Alternatively if stuff happens then it's your job to get them out of the way quickly.
Old Oct 20, 2019, 11:16 am

I'm sure they'll have no problems getting it back down by themselves at destination or before in the extremely unlikely event something did happen
Old Oct 20, 2019, 11:56 am

Programs: IHG Spire Elite,Star Alliance
Well...

It is all a bit random...flew Norwegian today and had two 11 years olds next to me on an exit row.....I have no idea if they could have opended the window and thrown it out but my guess is no!!!
Old Oct 20, 2019, 12:28 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by jrc999
Am sat on flight to LUX, in usual exit row seat by aisle. Pax in window seat had to have help lifting her bag into overhead. I think the emergency exit doors are in excess of 15kg and also an awkward shape.
I知 not Inspector Morse but I知 guessing the pax is north of 65 years. Should BA introduce a policy to prevent the elderly/ infirm from being placed in these seats?
I fully expect when CC come to check are we all ok in exit row there will be an affirmative response!
Those "doors" are awkward, and if the passenger couldn't lift her bag into the overhead locker, assuming it wasn't like 23 kg, then I'd say there may well be a problem. I can lift up to around 20 kg up there (not that I would, because it's not sensible - I stick to around 12 kg max) but the doors are quite heavy and bulky so I'd rather not lift it myself.

If I have concerns, I'd have a discreet word with a member of the cabin crew at the earliest opportunity though, so that they are aware.
flygirl68, flatlander and ppp909 like this.
Old Oct 20, 2019, 1:05 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, lots of random hotel schemes...
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I don't think age per se is the issue - my 80 year old neighbour farmer is able to carry 50 kgs of sheep without breaking sweat - but ability to manipulate 15 to 20 kgs of door is a legitimate concern. If someone is unable to shift a sack of potatoes they shouldn't be in the emergency row. The problem is that this detail isn't made clear when BA ask those in the emergency row if they are willing and able - as you say the reply will normally be "yes" and what can the cabin crew do then? If you have real concerns then you perhaps can raise them quietly with the SCCM.

Alternatively if stuff happens then it's your job to get them out of the way quickly.

nice to see another thread with sheep related to baggage weight....

see also:

Stranded in Dakar

I have never had cause (and hope not!) to open the emergency exit, but if I wanted to think of an agricultural reference to describe the effort required
my thinking would be that it might be close to opening the (obscenely large) cab door of a Massey Ferguson 575 against the wind...
Old Oct 20, 2019, 1:24 pm

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Markx
It is all a bit random...flew Norwegian today and had two 11 years olds next to me on an exit row.....I have no idea if they could have opended the window and thrown it out but my guess is no!!!
I've seen this once on BA. 767 flight from LHR to EDI. They were swiftly moved by the crew.

Norwegian seem to be quite lenient in my one experience with them. They were happy that my pregnant wife stayed in the middle exit seat provided she didn't need a seatbelt extender (which she didn't). She only a few weeks off the doctor's letter to fly at that point as well.
Old Oct 20, 2019, 1:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Only ever sat in an overwing EXIT row once, on Jet2 earlier this year, and I must admit I pondered about how well I could ‘do the necesaary’ in an emergency. However, I read the card (micro-print) and asked the CC for a bit of extra info ... I suspect adrenline would have augmented my normal 75-yo physical abilities if it came to the crunch.

The woman on the other side of the aisle, with her large handbag on the floor, had to be told twice (takeoff and landing) to stow it, so that overwing was likely at greater risk!
Old Oct 20, 2019, 1:58 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum
It痴 definitely a scary thought, but I feel like someone who isn稚 capable of opening the emergency exit would just be shoved aside by a rightfully impatient but able bodied passenger in the time of an emergency.
Old Oct 20, 2019, 2:16 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club Blue
Pregnant women who are fit to fly are considered to be able bodied passengers. Extension seatbelts are not permitted in exit rows.

On the Embraer 190 the overwing exit door weighs 17kg - I wouldn稚 be surprised if the A320 family痴 door was the same or more.
Old Oct 20, 2019, 2:19 pm

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by zappomatic
Pregnant women who are fit to fly are considered to be able bodied passengers. Extension seatbelts are not permitted in exit rows.
We were moved on the outbound flight (Air Baltic). Guess there is some element of discretion depending on airline.
Old Oct 20, 2019, 2:41 pm

I've seen cabin crew happily offer seat belt extension to pax in exit row aisle, albeit most likely it wasn't on BA.
Old Oct 20, 2019, 2:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
In this case, if the passenger could not hoist her bag into the bin, then she should not have been seated in an exit row, certainly not the window. As this is a safety issue, I would quietly discuss it with CC and ask them to deal with it.
Old Oct 20, 2019, 3:39 pm

Originally Posted by ggonzaga
It痴 definitely a scary thought, but I feel like someone who isn稚 capable of opening the emergency exit would just be shoved aside by a rightfully impatient but able bodied passenger in the time of an emergency.
Given the speed some like to push in front of group 1, I知 sure enough would come forward!!
Old Oct 20, 2019, 3:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: KrisFlyer, BA Executive Club
Thanks for all the feedback. Seat E was empty so with no one sitting next to me so I figured I could/ would quickly intervene if necessary. However, should it really be left up to passengers to police this? Hopefully there will never be cause to use it but I think BA (and other airlines) could have some simple logic in their booking flow or explicitly state what the requirements are - eg be able to lift X kg above head etc.
I have seen staff on Easyjet ask visibly (heavily) pregnant women to move to another seat.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.