Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is WT+ upgrade worth it for 2 Au members?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2019, 4:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Is WT+ upgrade worth it for 2 Au members?

We are a couple returning from DXB-LHR on a 4-class 777-200. Currently booked into WT.

As gold members, if we reserve an aisle and window seat is it likely that BA will eventually block the middle seat? We have done this provisionally and strangely Expert Flyer is NOT showing the middle seat between us as "blocked" at the moment.

We've got a POUG offer for Ł209/each. Any thoughts on whether it's worth it? I'm considering it for the TPs but is the WT+ any good on this plane or would 3-seats in WT be just as good, if not better? Is it the new WT+ seats with bigger IFE etc - it's a day flight so will be using IFE and meal service.

Thanks for any advice ......
Old Oct 20, 2019, 4:33 am

Originally Posted by oceanscape
We are a couple returning from DXB-LHR on a 4-class 777-200. Currently booked into WT.

As gold members, if we reserve an aisle and window seat is it likely that BA will eventually block the middle seat? We have done this provisionally and strangely Expert Flyer is NOT showing the middle seat between us as "blocked" at the moment.

We've got a POUG offer for Ł209/each. Any thoughts on whether it's worth it? I'm considering it for the TPs but is the WT+ any good on this plane or would 3-seats in WT be just as good, if not better? Is it the new WT+ seats with bigger IFE etc - it's a day flight so will be using IFE and meal service.

Thanks for any advice ......
Just remember if BA manage to sell that middle seat it will no longer be blocked.
Old Oct 20, 2019, 4:38 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Dubai is generally full in WT, BA's fares are highly competitive in that market. So only assume you will get 3 seats in WT if you buy 3 seats (which is actually an option). If you buy aisle and window, the middle seat may end up being used by someone who actually prefers a middle seat......

A lot depends on whether this is the day flight / night flight and what you are planning to do on what is a relatively short flight.
nancypants, orbitmic and Cymro like this.
Old Oct 20, 2019, 4:52 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Platinum; Hilton Gold, IHG Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Wyndham Diamond
Are the two seats on the last row still available? That might be a good option if so, as it'll ensure you definitely won't have a third party. They recline fully and ive you some extra space next to the fuselage to put stuff in as well.
Old Oct 20, 2019, 5:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
As others say, no guarantee at all of free middle seat unless flight is light loaded. I personally don’t like wt+ so wouldn’t pay that price for a one way upgrade on such a short sector myself.
Old Oct 20, 2019, 8:27 am

FWIW in countless trips I have never known any of my friends of any status who have booked WT+ actually fly in this cabin on this route , especially on those HI-J 747s, so that is something to consider...
Old Oct 20, 2019, 10:18 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
I'd pay it but it's not a screaming bargain. DXB is a good route for upgrades from all classes, but the jump from WTP to J (or even the chance of it) is particularly significant. If it's the day flight, it's certainly bearable without it but I have to say that I would not be counting on a free middle seat whatsoever. On the night flight, just the bigger WTP seat would make it worth it for me, ignoring the relatively high chance of an upgrade.
Old Oct 20, 2019, 10:34 am

Programs: BA exec, HHonors Diamond
Its a route I fly a lot. I'd pay the POUG in your shoes and then as Golds you have a good shout at an op up. If not, a nice pair of seats in WT+. As C-W-S says its often packed and indeed oversold. Hence my advice.
Enjoy the flight T
Old Oct 20, 2019, 3:07 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Personally I would pay the money, for the better WTP experience and the (maybe - don't expect it - don't be disappointed if it doesn't happen) chance of an Opup.

But as often pointed out around here, it depends what the money is worth to you, and what else you would do normally do with it. Feed your family for a month? - don't upgrade. Buy around of drinks? - upgrade.
mikeyfly likes this.
Old Oct 20, 2019, 11:47 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by sammyg901
FWIW in countless trips I have never known any of my friends of any status who have booked WT+ actually fly in this cabin on this route , especially on those HI-J 747s, so that is something to consider...
Another data point for you - I've flown in WT+ on this route (and reverse) 6 times this year and have never had an upgrade to CW. Flying in WT+ on this route is by no means a guaranteed upgrade to CW.

Another thing to consider is the different WT+ seats used on this route, although nothing is guaranteed. The last time I flew it was the very old WT+ seat with shocking IFE and for me that wouldn't be worth the premium.
Old Oct 21, 2019, 5:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sammyg901
Sorry I don’t understand this comment .... are you saying they always got upgraded to CW for free?
Old Oct 21, 2019, 6:20 am
Original Poster

So I just tried to go through with the POUG and noticed there are no more window pairs left in WT+ so that scraps that idea. No way would we go for the middle seats.

Now the only way I'd upgrade to WT+ would be if I knew -- with a decent degree of confidence -- there would be a CW opportunity (either reduced paid or free). Any thoughts?
Old Oct 21, 2019, 6:22 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
So I just tried to go through with the POUG and noticed there are no more window pairs left in WT+ so that scraps that idea. No way would we go for the middle seats.

Now the only way I'd upgrade to WT+ would be if I knew -- with a decent degree of confidence -- there would be a CW opportunity (either reduced paid or free). Any thoughts?
If you're several days out from travel and those with status have already got the cabin down to middle seats only, there's a good chance that plenty of people will be upgraded... the only question is how likely it is to be you, and that's where we can't help!
Old Oct 21, 2019, 6:28 am
Original Poster

The mention above about booking and paying for a third seat to guarantee an empty middle .... how do I do that and how much does it cost? Never heard of that on BA before but did it on VS many years ago.

Originally Posted by Cymro
If you're several days out from travel and those with status have already got the cabin down to middle seats only, there's a good chance that plenty of people will be upgraded... the only question is how likely it is to be you, and that's where we can't help!
Yes, WT+ is very busy and CW is very empty. Are we saying that WT+ to CW upgrades are typically reserved for Gold members and typically offered for free but only at check-in (or is it on-board)? Is there the chance to reserve the upgrade in advance for a reduced "gold exclusive" charge (I assume not).
Old Oct 21, 2019, 6:36 am

Programs: BA Gold
The mention above about booking and paying for a third seat to guarantee an empty middle .... how do I do that and how much does it cost?
See the Booking an extra seat for additional personal space section on this page https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...ving-your-seat

The cost will be the base fare for the seat without any additional taxes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.