Moscow Visa question

Old Oct 20, 19, 12:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, CCR - TK G
Moscow Visa question

almost BA related, please excuse...
I can travel to St. Petersburg without a visa - well on the new eVISA..

If I book the return flight through DME with S7 or BA … will that work without a Russia visa ?
Old Oct 20, 19, 1:13 am

Programs: BAEC Gold; Le Club Accorhotels Plat; Marriott Gold
Best of course is to confirm with the consulate, but my take on new roles is that eVisa for now is only restricted to SPB and Kaliningrad.
Old Oct 20, 19, 1:14 am

Programs: AA EXP/LTP 4MM, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH Dia, SPG Plat/LTP
Originally Posted by Vasco Pridat View Post
almost BA related, please excuse...
I can travel to St. Petersburg without a visa - well on the new eVISA..

If I book the return flight through DME with S7 or BA … will that work without a Russia visa ?
Sorry, but the answer is a solid NJET.

Info here

Comment: couldn't help smiling when I saw that although the City is back to St Petersburg, the surroundings are still the Leningrad region
Old Oct 20, 19, 3:21 am

Programs: BAEC, Accor
I guess the problem would be to go via DME means you need to clear entry into Russia at DME and continue as an internal flight to LED and hence need a full visa.

It appears there are Finnair options to LED.
Old Oct 20, 19, 4:18 am
Original Poster

Thank you.
Yes the question is.. Does dme have a transfer area or do you have to go through immigration?
I know the rules for the visa are Pete and Lenin area. Smile.
It's about my return. The cheapest and most loyal way is take s7 to dme and then to txl..

So therefore I thought to find some experienced Russian evisa travelers here.. 😊
Old Oct 20, 19, 5:01 am

Programs: AA EXP/LTP 4MM, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH Dia, SPG Plat/LTP
The e-visa is not (yet???) available at DME . There is an international transfer facility at DME, but continuing to LED means domestic connection -> need for regular visa. As it seems you start in LED, but from there to MOW visa is needed.

Also if you manage to construct a two-segment international trip, connecting with something like DME-MSQ-LED, all travel from MOW to any Belarus airport for some reason counts as 'domestic' and a visa is needed.

Economy fare with AY is only slightly higher through HEL, €173, than S7 with fares from €148 through DME (possible to get at €141 with awkward timing and 36+ h layover at DME). The total cost with a regular visa is higher, and considerable more time-consuming.
Old Oct 20, 19, 5:03 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Moscow to st petersburg will be a domestic flight

You will have to clear immigration in dme even if there was a transfer area, just like you do at T5 if getting on a uk domestic flight
Old Oct 20, 19, 5:10 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
I suspect the best advice would be from the appropriate destination forum
orbitmic likes this.
Old Oct 20, 19, 5:14 am

Not available to British citizens, unfortunately.
Old Oct 20, 19, 5:39 am

E-visa can be used for entering and leaving the Russian Federation at the following checkpoints at the national border of the Russian Federation in the Far Eastern Federal District, Kaliningrad Oblast, Saint-Petersburg and Leningrad Oblast:
  • air checkpoints «Vladivostok (Knevichy Airport)», «Yuzhno-Sakhalinsk (Khomutovo Airport)», «Petropavlovsk-Kamchatsky (Yelizovo Airport)», «Blagoveschensk», «Khabarovsk (Novy Airport)», «Anadyr (Ugolny Airport)», «Kaliningrad (Khrabrovo)», «Ulan-Ude (Muhino)», «Chita (Kadala)», «Pulkovo»;
  • naval checkpoints «Vladivostok», «Zarubino», «Posiet», «Korsakov», «Petropavlovsk-Kamchatsky», «Kaliningrad (checkpoints in the cities of Kaliningrad, Baltiysk and Svetly)», «Vysotsk», «Big port Saint Petersburg (Marine Station)», «Passenger port Saint Petersburg»;
  • railroad checkpoints «Pogranichny», «Khasan», «Makhalino», «Mamonovo», «Sovetsk»;
  • automobile checkpoints «Poltavka», «Turiy Rog», «Bagrationovsk», «Gusev», «Mamonovo (Grzechotki)», «Mamonovo (Gronowo)», «Morskoje», «Pogranichny», «Sovetsk», «Chernyshevskoye», «Ivangorod», «Torfjanovka», «Brusnitchnoe», «Svetogorsk»;
  • pedestrian checkpoint «Ivangorod».

https://evisa.kdmid.ru/
Old Oct 20, 19, 5:48 am

Programs: QF WP
Originally Posted by onobond View Post

Also if you manage to construct a two-segment international trip, connecting with something like DME-MSQ-LED, all travel from MOW to any Belarus airport for some reason counts as 'domestic' and a visa is needed.
OT/

They effectively have a kind of customs union and freedom of movement (for citizens) area going on, I suppose along the lines of the CTA for UK and Ireland

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Union_State

it does seem a bit retarded the way it’s implemented though- i’ve done that crossing a total of 3 times- in 2006 southbound on the train, where my Belarusian visa was checked only at the border of Belarus and Ulraine, along with a folder with names of (presumably) people banned from the country (strikes me as a fat lot of good when you’ve been in the country for 12 hours- I mean what are they going to do at that point if you were never “allowed” to be in Belarus); in 2013 or so I did the domestic flight DME-MSQ-DME and I don’t believe my visa was checked at all, although I did have a Belarusian visa and a double entry Russian transit visa, and what a mission it was getting those 2!!
Old Oct 20, 19, 7:50 am
Original Poster

Thanx for all the input.
You are right. I didn't think about led to dme being domestic.
That's gonna kill my idea..
There's cheap avios availability on those. That's why.
Old Oct 20, 19, 10:58 am

Originally Posted by Bohinjska Bistrica View Post
Not available to British citizens, unfortunately.
I had my hopes up there. The visa hassle is the only reason I've not been to Russia.
Lewis42, dubistokay and T8191 like this.
Old Oct 20, 19, 12:31 pm

I can’t believe how bad and confusing the website is. I initially wondered why you’d conclude that a Moscow exit would be possible, but the website really does create this impression. Even the list of eligible nationalities isn’t in an alphabetical order (the English list is in the Russian alphabetical order).

Last edited by dubistokay; Oct 20, 19 at 12:45 pm
Old Oct 20, 19, 1:50 pm

Originally Posted by u01sss3 View Post
I had my hopes up there. The visa hassle is the only reason I've not been to Russia.
It is a massive pain indeed. Even worse if you're not within easy access of London, and not to mention expensive (sure it was £80 or something to get it).

I thoroughly enjoyed Russia but the visa is a real negative.
u01sss3 likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: