FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   2hrs LHR connection on separate PNR BA - TG (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1991976-2hrs-lhr-connection-separate-pnr-ba-tg.html)

EzzerBKK Oct 19, 2019 12:34 pm

2hrs LHR connection on separate PNR BA - TG

Thought I’d drop a note here to ask the BA and LHR experts here as.

Have been contemplating booking a GIB - LHR on BA and then LHR - BKK on TG, with a 2hr transit time.

Problem is that my agent refuses to book me a through ticket on one PNR saying it’s not possible, and as such I need to DIY the GIB - LHR portion.

Question for you guys is whether you think this is too risky as I presume they won’t through check me in at GIB, will need to collect luggage and recheck in, and likely change terminals. 2 hrs seems too short?

I will likely be flying Y GIB - LHR then C LHR - BKK. Am Emerald and *Gold respectively.

Thank you in advance for your perspectives.

Ezzer

ajeleonard Oct 19, 2019 12:39 pm

2 hours is far too risky given BA won’t check the baggage through on separate tickets

BA and Thai do have an interline agreement so not sure why your agent won’t construct a single itinerary by combining the relevant fares. Maybe try a different one

sunshinebob Oct 19, 2019 12:41 pm

Its a no way from me. I live between GIB and AGP and have been caught more than once with landing and take off issues at GIB. As you are probably aware its just toooooo risky when the winds blow.

I was in GIB yesterday and whilst it was warm and sunny mostly it was blowing a hooley...

Can you not look at another longer (or protected) connection??

gms Oct 19, 2019 12:44 pm

It's way too short with checked luggage. The Thai check-in counters will close an hour before departure, meaning you only have an hour from your scheduled arrival to get through immigration, collect your luggage and get yourself over to T2. You might just make it. But any delay will mean a missed flight.

nivsy Oct 19, 2019 1:07 pm

No through fare ex AGP? Even if MAD is used for transit. Suspect could could be cheaper also?

Cymro Oct 19, 2019 1:52 pm

Hell no! That's about 30 min over minimum connect time on a single PNR.

TG non-stop LHR-BKK isn't that cheap, either. Looking at AGP-BKK for a random week in February, you can do it via Helsinki for €1,875 (and earn 560 BA tier points). Meanwhile the TG fare alone is £2,500 from London. And of course you still save yourself the timings and decrepit aircraft of BA9.

orbitmic Oct 19, 2019 2:26 pm

Agree with all others. This is an unreasonable itinerary. Don't do it.

Tiger_lily Oct 19, 2019 4:03 pm

Can you not get AGP-HEL-BKK cheaper?

tuonopepper Oct 20, 2019 2:15 am

Originally Posted by EzzerBKK (Post 31645497)
Thought I’d drop a note here to ask the BA and LHR experts here as.

Have been contemplating booking a GIB - LHR on BA and then LHR - BKK on TG, with a 2hr transit time.

Problem is that my agent refuses to book me a through ticket on one PNR saying it’s not possible, and as such I need to DIY the GIB - LHR portion.

Question for you guys is whether you think this is too risky as I presume they won’t through check me in at GIB, will need to collect luggage and recheck in, and likely change terminals. 2 hrs seems too short?

I will likely be flying Y GIB - LHR then C LHR - BKK. Am Emerald and *Gold respectively.

Thank you in advance for your perspectives.

Ezzer

I'd maybe chance that HBO but not if I had to collect luggage. I'd also be inclined to try and get into LHR earlier as any delay to what is the short haul sector could screw your LH, which is potentially more difficut/expensive to fix.

LondonElite Oct 20, 2019 3:13 am

No chance at all. There are better ways than going through LHR.

The _Banking_Scot Oct 20, 2019 3:53 am

Hi,

Also a no from me ( esp given the potential disruption ( unlikely) form GIB ( ie the inbound aircraft may be diverted due to winds etc) and the need to collect and recheck bags from a different terminal ( you could fly up the day before and stay in LHR overnight which reduces the risk)

Regards

TBS

corporate-wage-slave Oct 20, 2019 4:08 am

Originally Posted by EzzerBKK (Post 31645497)

I've only spent a few minutes on my GDS with this, and so there may be more to it (e.g. specific dates etc) but I was able to construct a BA + TG ticket, the connection time on the day I checked (6 November) was 2 hours 15 minutes involving LHR T3 to T2 transfer - that's usually fairly quick. That's BA491 to TG917. Wasn't very cheap mind! That was because it was forced into B fare class on BA, and full fat Y on TG. 6 hour connection on the return. I could probably have got it cheaper with a bit more effort.

The other options presented were with Qatar and Aeroflot via LHR and DME.

In short I'd ask your agent to have another look at this.

EzzerBKK Oct 21, 2019 1:08 am

Thank you so much to everyone! Incredibly helpful you lot here in BA world!

Indeed was quite concerned about the weather nature of GIB and BA luggage issues and the unprotected ticket.

My agents here in BKK (3 of them) refuse to ticket this. But I am still trying to push based on what corporate-wage-slave mentioned. I also noticed this on IATA Matrix.

Oh and I’m flying with TG as I have a TG upgrade vouchers and timings work.

Guess I will need to take the earlier BA flight and loose out on a lively Andalusian Sunday brunch...

Thanks again.

Sam Bee Oct 21, 2019 3:45 am

I've had a look at this, and do lots of work with TG, and it's a struggle to get them to offer MAN never mind GIB.

I can't see a fare beyond a full IATA fare, and would be amazed if one exists. I'm not surprised the agents wouldn't ticket it tbh.

What about LHR-GIB (BA) - Thailand (QR) - you can issue on one ticket with good connections on BA and good fares? Also you have access to QR's full Thailand network if your end point is not BKK (i.e. CNX/HKT/KBV) (although CNX & KBV on the return is a day flight and won't get you to GIB in one day as arrives in BKK too late).

Cymro Oct 21, 2019 5:22 am

What about AGP-BRU-BKK on TG?