Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Would BA rebook us if we miss our flight? - BEY protests

Old Oct 19, 2019, 10:22 am
Original Poster

We are due to fly back from Beirut on Tuesday with BA.
Due to the ongoing protests, the airport road gets blocked every-now and then with burning tires.

We will aim to arrive 3 hours early to the airport but according to the consulate, when the road is blocked, its blocked - no way through, except walking through the fire and smoke with your luggage (which reportedly many people have done).

If we are unable to get to the airport due to this, would BA re-book us to the next flight?
Would duty of care apply?
Old Oct 19, 2019, 10:27 am

Leave more time to get to the airport. 3 hours is great, but when you know of the potential issues, you really need to add a few hours.
Old Oct 19, 2019, 10:29 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Bogwoppit
Leave more time to get to the airport. 3 hours is great, but when you know of the potential issues, you really need to add a few hours.
Normally I would agree BUT the flight is at 8AM. The road is likely to be blocked from late night to early morning. So leaving 4-5 hours early would mean no advantage in this case.

The only way to be safe is to sleep at the airport the night before which I am not prepared to do (just yet).
Old Oct 19, 2019, 10:56 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
If you are not going to make it, be certain to call BA immediately. Do not wait until you arrive at the airport and you have either missed check-in or the flight entirely. Given the situation, there is no guarantee that this will not occur 2-3 nights in a row.
Old Oct 19, 2019, 11:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Covered by extraordinary circumstances I would have thought. If you can't get to the airport noone else will.
Old Oct 19, 2019, 11:03 am
Suspended

Programs: BAEC GGL, HH DIAMOND, AVIS Presidents Club, Karahi Express
Surely if flight is at 08:00 AM and roads are closed? The flight would be cancelled since crew would also not be able to get to Airport as well all other passengers.

Assuming this would be the night stop crew from the 21st.
Woodbinerich and watersign like this.
Old Oct 19, 2019, 11:25 am

Originally Posted by let_BAegones_be
Normally I would agree BUT the flight is at 8AM. The road is likely to be blocked from late night to early morning. So leaving 4-5 hours early would mean no advantage in this case.

The only way to be safe is to sleep at the airport the night before which I am not prepared to do (just yet).

Agreed. Sticky situation. Totally make sure you notify BA if you do get stuck, I find twitter DM's work very well for this kind of thing. I would expect them to reschedule you, but I would look carefully at those options before ruling out a night at the airport.
Old Oct 19, 2019, 11:43 am
Original Poster

Thanks everyone!

Unfortunately I dont do twitter.

Any number I can call 5AM BEY time?
Old Oct 19, 2019, 11:43 am

Programs: CebGo 5J, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Alaska 100K
I would get there the night before with a pillow and crash out on the bench or use the 24hr lounge.
Old Oct 19, 2019, 11:55 am

It's also worth ensuring your travel insurance covers it. I think many policies exclude civil-unrest but many do include it permitting the FCO website says it's safe to travel. However, one would hope BA would just re-book you if you phone and give plenty of notice. Likely others would be in same situation.
Old Oct 19, 2019, 11:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by davistev
I would get there the night before with a pillow and crash out on the bench or use the 24hr lounge.
If the lounge is airside, it might not be possible to access it before BA check in opens in the morning.
Old Oct 19, 2019, 12:01 pm

Programs: BAGGL, A3G, Accor Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, LHW Sterling
Originally Posted by deboyzoned
Surely if flight is at 08:00 AM and roads are closed? The flight would be cancelled since crew would also not be able to get to Airport as well all other passengers.

Assuming this would be the night stop crew from the 21st.
i agree in the case of the complete road closure.
As the model for this flight (i believe) is a night stop aircraft and fresh crew in the morning, and I know the crew on this route stay away from the airport area I think it's unlikely the flight would leave.
deboyzoned likes this.
Old Oct 19, 2019, 12:02 pm

Programs: BAGGL, A3G, Accor Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, LHW Sterling
Thanks everyone!

The GGL line in India would be open.
Old Oct 19, 2019, 12:07 pm
Suspended

Thanks everyone!

1) You will not be the only one affected if roads are closed. Crew and the Cockpit Crew flying the flight will not make it to Airport either. If they dont make it the flight will be cancelled.
Old Oct 19, 2019, 12:08 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Woodbinerich
The GGL line in India would be open.
And what will that achieve? Unless the OP wants to change their flight. What a strange suggestion!

Monitor the situation and BA App to see if the inbound arrived the night before. And then try to head to Airport in the morning.
Often1 likes this.

Last edited by deboyzoned; Oct 19, 2019 at 12:16 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.