Wiki Posts
Search

BA15 To Sydney

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2019, 1:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Bronze
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I'm pretty sure this is a SIN airport requirement. When BKK had Australia flights it was a choice as to whether to stay onboard or leave, and the other Caribbean and previous Middle East * locations required you to stay on board. But SIN has a particular security protocol for services to Australia, in agreement with the Australian government, and the easiest way to implement it in SIN is to get everyone off. Refuelling is not an issue, this happens all the time at SIN and pretty much every BA airport.

So I am 99.999999% certain that this is duff advice.

* I am old enough to remember when they allowed people to go down the catering stairs at 1R for a smoke on the tarmac at BAH. As a never-smoker I used to take advantage of this to soak up the night-time humid sea air.
Yes, I can also remember returning via BKK in 1999 and remaining on board.
Old Oct 20, 2019, 1:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

...del misread post
Old Oct 20, 2019, 3:55 am

Programs: KLM FB Gold, LH M&M
Customers really need consistent and accurate information from BA agents. This is a popular long haul route.
BA internal information on the requirement to disembark from BA15 at SIN should be readily available to all call centre agents.
Either on an internal intranet, or accessible from a booking screen. Or is the BA computer system really that bad?
Old Oct 20, 2019, 4:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by charlesrhona
Yes, I can also remember returning via BKK in 1999 and remaining on board.
The BA/QF JSA also offered an insight into the differing requirements of different airlines, even if the airport did not have its own restrictions. There was a period when you could choose to fly direct via BKK on BA, and have to disembark at BKK and take everything with you because it was a BA requirement, or you could choose to fly direct via BKK on QF, and not have to disembark at BKK unless you wished to do so.

Now that I think about it, ISTR that during that period you had to disembark at SIN and take everything with you, regardless of whether you were flying direct via SIN with BA or with QF.
Old Oct 20, 2019, 4:58 am

Programs: BA Blue, EI Silver, Honours Gold, Marriott Gold
As recently as March/April we had to disembark both ways at SIN. The crew were very clear on this during the announcements. We were quite happy for a chance to stretch the legs and have a shower mid way.

The only slight annoyance was having to re-clear security at SIN.
Old Oct 20, 2019, 5:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Globaliser

Now that I think about it, ISTR that during that period you had to disembark at SIN and take everything with you, regardless of whether you were flying direct via SIN with BA or with QF.
I don't know about BA/QF at that time, but in 1999 it was permitted to stay onboard with Emirates , though could disembark if desired
Old Oct 20, 2019, 5:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
I don't know about BA/QF at that time, but in 1999 it was permitted to stay onboard with Emirates , though could disembark if desired
Yes, I think that a lot of things changed after 2001, and different places changed different things at different times.
Old Oct 20, 2019, 5:37 am

Programs: BA Gold, Priority Club Gold, Accor Silver, Virgin Australia Gold
What is the onward percentage figure on this flight to Australia for pax originally boarded at LHR? With visa requirements etc I can see BA are quite happy for that check to take place at SIN or is it done before hand at LHR? Always strikes me as an odd route frankly.
Old Oct 20, 2019, 8:54 am

Originally Posted by nivsy
What is the onward percentage figure on this flight to Australia for pax originally boarded at LHR? With visa requirements etc I can see BA are quite happy for that check to take place at SIN or is it done before hand at LHR? Always strikes me as an odd route frankly.

I have no idea about the percentages. But I always assumed the visa was checked at LHR, a computer check. I’ve used a few different airlines to Australia and I’ve only been asked to show my paper copy once and that was at DOH, in transit from LHR. I wouldn’t have thought they would let you start your journey without knowing you had a visa.
Old Oct 20, 2019, 9:25 am

Programs: BA gold
I sometimes get asked if I had a visa for Australia and they seem to just accept my word.
Old Oct 20, 2019, 9:30 am

Programs: BAEC Blue/Bronze, Krisflyer, Qantas
On some flights it's a security requirement too so you're asked to take all your belongings too - it rules out the possibility of a customer flying the first leg yet leaving a package onboard for the second. Although everything should be screened, I can understand not wanting to take any chances.
Old Oct 20, 2019, 12:33 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
What is the onward percentage figure on this flight to Australia for pax originally boarded at LHR? With visa requirements etc I can see BA are quite happy for that check to take place at SIN or is it done before hand at LHR?
Granted there may be quite a lot of people connecting to the likes of QF to other places, but based on the number of people around the baggage carousel (i.e. nowhere as many as you'd expect from the load), I'd say those who are going all the way through to Australia would be fairly high.

I think Australian visas are checked at LHR if they are travelling through to Australia without a stopover in Singapore.
flygirl68 likes this.
Old Oct 20, 2019, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flygirl68
But I always assumed the visa was checked at LHR, a computer check. I’ve used a few different airlines to Australia and I’ve only been asked to show my paper copy once and that was at DOH, in transit from LHR. I wouldn’t have thought they would let you start your journey without knowing you had a visa.
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
I think Australian visas are checked at LHR if they are travelling through to Australia without a stopover in Singapore.
This would seem to be logical, given that you may only get one boarding pass issued at LHR if you're on a direct flight; and you would be likely in any event to get both (or all) boarding passes at LHR even if you were connecting.
flygirl68 and LTN Phobia like this.
Old Oct 20, 2019, 8:19 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL, Bonvoy Ambassador + LtG, Hyatt Globalist, United Silver
Curious. If you fly the route every other week why do you fly BA relying on a flight coming from London with a flying time.of 13 hours or so to connect at SIN for SYD? Especially with QF flights or indeed SQ readily accessible. 🤔
Corporate travel policy has BA as the most preferred airline. I also find the probability of Op-Up to be much higher with BA than QF. Not in Singapore long enough to switch from OW to *A
Old Oct 20, 2019, 8:25 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by tr2286
Corporate travel policy has BA as the most preferred airline. I also find the probability of Op-Up to be much higher with BA than QF. Not in Singapore long enough to switch from OW to *A
Agree 100%. I used to do the SYD SIN BA flight about once a month although now do more SYD HKG. The timings of the BA flight are great, it's usually the cheapest flight and because I spend a lot of time on PE it's a superior product to SQ.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.