Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

LCY flights: Any plans to enhance service (aka introduce BOB)?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LCY flights: Any plans to enhance service (aka introduce BOB)?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2019, 8:27 pm

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
Go for a swim, then eat fokos or kikis taverna (agios sostis) for an amazing lunch by the sea, then straight to the airport t- 45 mins before take off ( follow the flight on flight radar to see if delayed or not) and on board catering will be the last thing on your mind !
Old Oct 18, 2019, 10:21 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
On the CiityFlyer routes from regional airports there is perhaps a case for CE for non status passengers as it provides lounge access but even in those circumstances I struggle to see a strong case for it unless the fare difference is particularly marginal. From LCY it just looks a complete waste of money to me.
Old Oct 19, 2019, 4:01 am

I’ve done LCY-JMK-LCY a couple of times. I don’t think that CE is justified on this route - it’s only two crew between both CE and ET, and service will be slow. The first emergency row in ET (I believe 12) is fairly comfortable, and this aircraft doesn’t feel as full because some seats are not sold due to takeoff weight restrictions. Bear in mind that both legs are often delayed and diversions due to the LCY curfew on the delayed return leg are not unheard of (sometimes only announced AFTER the landing). Still, if everything goes smoothly, I’d say these are the best JMK flight times and the best public (relative to the early departure from LHR).
Old Oct 19, 2019, 10:32 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
There was definitely a plan to introduce BoB out of LCY, and some timelines were mentioned by BA, I seem to recall 3 of them in fact. But the timelines sailed past and after the last one there was no update. So I'm fairly sure it just got dropped. It wasn't just the crew level, it was also about getting Tourvest to get it to work economically, and my suspicion is that the numbers didn't add up.
There’s also a third parameter... that as a self-managing subsidiary BACF are allowed to do some things (admittedly not everything) differently if they want and can fund it. So they never really wanted BoB given their customer base and direct competition, and weren’t exactly unhappy when it turned out to be very difficult to implement. Also evidenced by the recent catering division which you may or may not have noticed... as BA has ‘enhanced’ their offering from ‘juice’ to ‘juice drink’ to save a few pennies, BACF has refused and consequently now stocks an entirely different brand on board, funded out of their own pocket.

Originally Posted by ahmetdouas
for some reason ba make the LHR outbound cheaper and the LCY return cheaper so that’s what I end up doing and thus get to experience both tiers of service and quality.
Again, as a self-managing subsidiary, BACF control their pricing, indeed from a separate office, while ‘BA’ manages theirs (and even then, LGW is separate from LHR). So it’s not entirely surprising there are different fares.
Old Oct 19, 2019, 10:41 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, HH Diamond
It also means there are some pleasant anomalies, such as hot dinners on Switzerland flights. Even LHR didn't have these (unlike NCE, PRG and beyond) before it was enhanced a couple of years ago.
Old Oct 19, 2019, 12:19 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL
Originally Posted by Frequentflyer99
Best seats out of LCY are the right hand front pair in CE (2C/D ?). Otherwise the best seats on the plane are the main exit row - on an E190 row 12 - which are the same width but have more legroom than CE seats other than 2C/D. As the OP is a GCH, in comfort terms, far better to get those exit row seats than any seats in CE, other than 2C/D if available. I personally set no store by the catering, as it is all pretty sub-standard.
That's odd. I always thought the bulkhead row seats (even if not row 2 on the right on an E190) in CE had more legroom than the exit row. However, beware the left hand bulkhead aisle seat where it is apparently a rule that at least 5 passengers boarding after you bump you while you sit there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.