Typical BA J Class Service???

Old Oct 16, 19, 6:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QF Platinum
Angry Typical BA J Class Service???

I have not posted this here until now, as I wanted to give BA the time to respond. After a month of hearing nothing from the feedback form online (QF Rang me 3 days after I also submitted the same feedback to them).

After a month I then emailed Alex Cruz and within days a team from the "Global Executive Team" had contacted me. We spoke and honestly it felt like a total waste of time and a bluff, being told that "we have spoken with the relevant team members manager, and we apologise for how we made you feel".

Have a read of the email and give me your thoughts, is this typical of an old school CSD's behaviour when having a bad day?

I have vowed to not step foot onboard a BA bird again, but maybe I am wrong.

"Dear Mr Cruz,

I felt that the issues I experienced aboard BA015 service on 1st August 2019 SIN SYD.

It was a last-minute transfer booking in Business class, as I was initially scheduled to fly Qantas to BNE but due to flight delays, the Platinum service team moved me over to your flight to try and mitigate the delay.

I realise that communication breakdowns do happen and certainly understand that with last-minute bookings, not everything will be smooth sailing.

However, from the moment I reached your check-in counters at Singapore, things went downhill, and fast.

Getting assistance from any of your staff (check-in, lounge or gate) was next to impossible. I broke my wrist and had reconstructive surgery two weeks ago. The hand is in a splint, and I needed to wear a sling, it is also my primary hand, and whilst I am aware that people are in far worse situation than me, I do feel that your team could have been far more cooperative on the ground and perhaps the inflight experience would not have been so diabolical .

There was no time to uplift any vegetarian meal. This was understandable, and of not much concern given it was an overnight flight, sadly this was to be the least of my worries.

Getting to the gate was chaos, the non-priority line was moving 4 times faster as they were putting large families in front with the Status and J class passengers. I waited in line for 20 minutes, before clearing and being told by the gate staff to wait until again until they start to board group 1.

We were finally allowed to board after nearly 40 minutes from reaching the gate. At this point, I admit I that I was tired, in pain and just generally over the entire situation. We boarded at the door L2, and the CSD greeted me (His name was *name redacted by moderator*). The aerobridge was not positioned correctly, so there was a gap between the door and the bridge. Although I was struggling to pull my bag up the gap, he did not offer to help me and just watched the process.

I gave him my boarding pass and said "thanks for the help" he replied "it seems there's a problem, care to inform me what it is" and I simply replied that there have been more problems than anything else tonight and walked off. At my seat, I was given NO assistance from any crew member to place my bag in the overhead locker.

The fellow in the seat next to me (also a displaced QF flyer) was kind enough to place my bags overhead. The crew handed out bottles of water and just put it in front on the table, didn't even bother to check if I needed help opening it (which I did), again the passenger helped me. Towards the end of boarding, I got changed and had my clothes over the seat, I asked the CSD "may I please have a hanger" his reply was "for what" and I said that I would like to hang my clothes. He just said No, we don't give you the hanger we hang them. I just gave him the clothes.

After take-off, I was trying to open the bed linen, and another crew member started to help me, I also asked him for an extra pillow as I need to elevate my arm when I sleep for comfort. At this point, the CSM came along again and said "what's the problem here" the two crew spoke, and the CSD told him to go back to his duties. At this point, the CSD says to me "you need to check your attitude, I won't tolerate you being rude to my crew". I was quite shocked since I had spoken only to the fellow helping with my bedding up until that point. All other communication was ONLY with the CSD.

At this point, I replied to him and said that perhaps I am unhappy with the way many things were handled on the ground and the lack of support.

I said that while I understand frontline staff do have to deal with problems created by others, I do not think to tell me I have an attitude is a way to "solve" this problem. He then said that the flight is full so I only have the bedding assigned and "I have to go and attend to a REAL problem, there's a medical and we are probably going to have to turn back".

At this point, I just wanted to sleep, so I got my jacket, rolled it up and got into bed, Eye mask on, and earplugs in. Around 5 min later I get a tap on my shoulder, and someone starts talking, I take off the cover and plug, and the CSD said: "The Captain has agreed to give you HIS pillow". I just said "NO, the captain needs his rest," the CSD said, "Its only two crew, so they are not using it"...

Again this whole attitude of his was ridiculous, all he did was go to the crew bunk and get one of the available pillows. Why he needed to make it a point that the CAPTAIN was doing me HUGE favour... It was a pillow... that was all and for the broken slung wrist. Throughout the flight, the crew were noisy with their service, they did not consider those of us trying to sleep.

Finally, on the descent, I had the call light on 3 times, and no one answered. So I went up and asked for my clothes, the stewardess was looking for them, and the CSD comes down from Door 1 and says "what's the problem now, can't you just press you to call button". I replied to him 'this is ........, I have pressed it three times, and all I want is my clothes" he replied that I am not to abuse his staff... Again the entire problem is his antagonistic attitude.

Finally, as we were deciding I was swapping sim cards, my drawer was 1/4 open, and it was quite apparent that I was. just putting in another card. He kneels next to me and says just because you are an Emerald, does not give you any special privileges, you've been told to stow your items for landing, now do it. He then asked me if I would like the police to meet me on arrival.

Well done BA!

Honestly, I will ensure that every person I speak to hears about the abhorrent service your crew managers feel is an appropriate way to deal with passengers, I am aware that we all can have bad days. But on this flight, your CSD was overly antagonistic, and it seemed like he was almost going out of his way to make my flight one to remember.

I should also make it known that it is now over 4 weeks since I first notified you of this issue (right after the flight) and there has been zero communication from any of your customer service team.

Regards."

Last edited by LTN Phobia; Oct 16, 19 at 9:42 pm
Old Oct 16, 19, 10:20 pm

Programs: BA Gold AA Lifetime Gold
Now it might be that it's gone 0400 and I'm a little drunk too but fair play on ya for writing a complaint that still managed to make yourself sound like a complete tit.
Perhaps the crew should have been a bit more, drunk me can't think of the right word, sympathetic maybe? You couldn't get your bag over a gap between the airbridge and plane but could swap SIM cards with one good arm? I know what I would find more difficult one handed.

Sorry mate, in the words of The Current Ex-Mrs Spike this very much sounds a case of "ooooo someone's tired"

Peace and love

Spike
BearX220, IAN-UK, DYKWIA and 12 others like this.
Old Oct 16, 19, 10:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver / VS /IHG Spire & Ambassador
That was far too long a read to be honest.

I’m afraid that your sarcastic comment on boarding wasn’t the best start to your flight.
Old Oct 16, 19, 10:56 pm

Programs: BA Silver
I suspect youíll get a lot of comments on here along the lines of ďit sounds like thereís plenty youíre not telling usĒ. Whether there is or not, thatís how your complaint reads tbh.

Iíll just say that perhaps the best way to handle this would have been when you got to the plane door to smile nicely and ask for help... it might have set a better tone.
Old Oct 16, 19, 11:13 pm

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear View Post
That was far too long a read to be honest.

Iím afraid that your sarcastic comment on boarding wasnít the best start to your flight.
Firstly, speedy recovery for your wrist. Moving on, I completely agree, the sarcastic comment wasnít necessary, it never comes off well especially when youíre in an external environment and with people that donít know you.

Secondly, whilst itís no excuse or justification for the airline, I believe BA (and QF crew) for that matter arenít insured to help passengers with luggage. Some airline crew go out of the way to mention this but in general Iíve noticed BA crew do use ďcommon senseĒ and are quite proactive, compared to other ďlegacyĒ airline crew with similar policies, with helping out. I think it mightíve just been a question of politely asking.

Thirdly, SIN staff are not BA employed anymore I believe even though they might be wearing BA uniform. Outstation group/priority boarding can be haphazard sadly as a result dependent heavily on the general operating ďcultureĒ of the airport. In contrast, LHR, BAís hub, is very good at priority boarding. In fact in QF hubs of SYD, MEL and PER, the priority boarding lanes were 3 times longer and inefficient than the ďslowĒ lane on all my experiences there! Lol

Despite this, I donít condone the overall attitude you allege the CSM to have had. BA crew yet again, whilst not as consistent as CX, QR crew, they are very good compared to US/European carrier counterparts and even QF IMHO.

Shame you had a bad flight, it sucks I know, but honestly this is no way near a ďstandardĒ for BA, in fact theyíre usually complimented for being the asset of the company whilst the product around them fails everybody - though that is on a positive incline with the Club Suite.

But lastly, what is it you actually want from BA out of this? I presume youíre not BAEC member, so awarding Avios wonít be an option. Regarding everything else, what else can they say other than ďsorry weíll feed it backĒ?

I say none of this in a trolling, hateful manner much like a lot of comments in general online these days, Iím just trying to rationalise it out for you (and us) as fellow readers. Take care Safe travels and speedy recovery once again.

Last edited by coolnikhit28; Oct 16, 19 at 11:42 pm
Old Oct 16, 19, 11:36 pm

To answer your Thread title. No, this is not typical BA J Class service.

For whatever reason, you had a terrible flight, and I will not comment further as to why.

I wish you happier times in the future on an alternative airline.
Old Oct 17, 19, 12:25 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, PS, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Your e-mail reads too long. Apart from you having to wait to board which resulted in you boarding in a foul mood which seemed to be obvious to the cabin crew, I am not sure what your complaint is about and what you're seeking from BA. The snarky comment at boarding was unnecessary. I don't understand why you could not have calmly explained that you might need some help during the flight. We all can have bad days, and it seemed like you had one; but I'd have apologized to the crew for taking out your frustration with the ground experience on them rather than continued to be difficult.

Have a speedy recovery and enjoy flying other airlines.

Last edited by Andriyko; Oct 17, 19 at 12:42 am
Old Oct 17, 19, 12:44 am

Programs: Yes
OP, so they were not considerate and a bit rude.
At Ft we know when BA is bad it is bad. Itís unlucky you encountered this while you had your wrist problem. We are sorry.
You complained.
Cruzteam apologised.
You didnít say what you want so they didnít offer.
Whatís next?

Frankly if you are OWE try CX - thatís where you do get privileges and attentions if you are after those.
thomas164 and coolnikhit28 like this.
Old Oct 17, 19, 12:53 am

I think you approached this completely the wrong way, you thought because you had a broken arm you should have special treatment. Guess what you donít. I travel using a wheelchair and although I donít expect help Iím great full for any received. I donít think Iíve ever boarded a flight where Iíve not been offered help by either crew or passenger.
Now you should have prepared better for your flight, if you needed extra pillow you should of packed a travel pillow. You could of booked assistance at airport so you didnít struggle with luggage and they would of helped with your bag. You should of worn clothes that didnít demand a hanger.
You whole attitude Reeks of me me me. You couldnít hang your clothes up really you want to complain about that. As for rest of complaint ( rant) I also stopped reading as itís ridiculous.
Try treating people with less sarcasm and more humility and you may find your travels will be a little easier.
Old Oct 17, 19, 1:13 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
One could pick up on so many issues. All I can say is that ai would like to read what the crews’ perspective. I really don’t understand quite what you are looking for by posting this long mail. If you are asking if your experience is typical, the answer is definitely not.

I was not there, I did not witness these incidents but the spin that you put in them makes me thing that the CSD and you hit it off wrong and that matters did not improve. What we will never truly know is why.
Old Oct 17, 19, 1:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
I am not going to get in to the issues here, but I did want to say welcome to FT Andrew82
coolnikhit28 likes this.

Last edited by KARFA; Oct 17, 19 at 1:44 am
Old Oct 17, 19, 1:24 am

As many have pointed out, crews aren't insured for baggage handling, so if they get hurt handling it they won't get sick leave paid for. I might very well be wrong, but I believe that one of the conditions of carriage is, indeed, that you are responsible for your own belongings.
watersign likes this.
Old Oct 17, 19, 1:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Berlin, Germany; Toronto, Canada; and SW Florida, USA
Programs: UA 1K, BA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, and assorted others
Oh dear, what a first post on FT. Welcome to the community, even if it was driven by a poor experience.

To answer your question, no this is not the typical CW service you should expect. I don't think you did yourself any favours with the initial comment on boarding, particularly since everything you had experienced up to that point was well beyond the control of the cabin crew. I agree the crew could probably have been more helpful given the limitations on your physical capabilities, but it is true that they are not responsible for luggage and/or passenger assistance issues. I can't quite explain the tone taken by the cabin crew, as this is certainly unusual. Finally, and as others have said, what is it that you would like from BA at this point? After reading your excessively long letter, I'm sure they were as confused as we are as to what you are looking for, hence the call.
wrp96 and coolnikhit28 like this.
Old Oct 17, 19, 2:07 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Travelling with an injury is not fun... I have done it myself. The key to making it easier though is to ask politely for help if you need it but to also remember that they have their duties and responsibilities. As with all walks of life... if you want something from someone then being rude and snarky won't endear them to you and so it will pretty much guarantee you won't get any further help. It sounds like you started off on the wrong foot with the CC and so they decided you were not someone they would put themselves out for... I can't blame them tbh. Their job is difficult enough. I think you would have had more sympathy (and hence help) from the CC had you had on boarding quietly explained about your wrist and apologised that you might need a bit of extra help if they wouldn't mind. A smile helps too!

I hope your wrist heals well and soon.
Old Oct 17, 19, 2:21 am

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle.
Originally Posted by Andrew82 View Post
I have not posted this here until now, as I wanted to give BA the time to respond. After a month of hearing nothing from the feedback form online (QF Rang me 3 days after I also submitted the same feedback to them).

After a month I then emailed Alex Cruz and within days a team from the "Global Executive Team" had contacted me. We spoke and honestly it felt like a total waste of time and a bluff, being told that "we have spoken with the relevant team members manager, and we apologise for how we made you feel".

Have a read of the email and give me your thoughts, is this typical of an old school CSD's behaviour when having a bad day?

I have vowed to not step foot onboard a BA bird again, but maybe I am wrong.

"Dear Mr Cruz,

I felt that the issues I experienced aboard BA015 service on 1st August 2019 SIN SYD.

It was a last-minute transfer booking in Business class, as I was initially scheduled to fly Qantas to BNE but due to flight delays, the Platinum service team moved me over to your flight to try and mitigate the delay.

I realise that communication breakdowns do happen and certainly understand that with last-minute bookings, not everything will be smooth sailing.

However, from the moment I reached your check-in counters at Singapore, things went downhill, and fast.

Getting assistance from any of your staff (check-in, lounge or gate) was next to impossible. I broke my wrist and had reconstructive surgery two weeks ago. The hand is in a splint, and I needed to wear a sling, it is also my primary hand, and whilst I am aware that people are in far worse situation than me, I do feel that your team could have been far more cooperative on the ground and perhaps the inflight experience would not have been so diabolical .

There was no time to uplift any vegetarian meal. This was understandable, and of not much concern given it was an overnight flight, sadly this was to be the least of my worries.

Getting to the gate was chaos, the non-priority line was moving 4 times faster as they were putting large families in front with the Status and J class passengers. I waited in line for 20 minutes, before clearing and being told by the gate staff to wait until again until they start to board group 1.

We were finally allowed to board after nearly 40 minutes from reaching the gate. At this point, I admit I that I was tired, in pain and just generally over the entire situation. We boarded at the door L2, and the CSD greeted me (His name was *name redacted by moderator*). The aerobridge was not positioned correctly, so there was a gap between the door and the bridge. Although I was struggling to pull my bag up the gap, he did not offer to help me and just watched the process.

I gave him my boarding pass and said "thanks for the help" he replied "it seems there's a problem, care to inform me what it is" and I simply replied that there have been more problems than anything else tonight and walked off. At my seat, I was given NO assistance from any crew member to place my bag in the overhead locker.

The fellow in the seat next to me (also a displaced QF flyer) was kind enough to place my bags overhead. The crew handed out bottles of water and just put it in front on the table, didn't even bother to check if I needed help opening it (which I did), again the passenger helped me. Towards the end of boarding, I got changed and had my clothes over the seat, I asked the CSD "may I please have a hanger" his reply was "for what" and I said that I would like to hang my clothes. He just said No, we don't give you the hanger we hang them. I just gave him the clothes.

After take-off, I was trying to open the bed linen, and another crew member started to help me, I also asked him for an extra pillow as I need to elevate my arm when I sleep for comfort. At this point, the CSM came along again and said "what's the problem here" the two crew spoke, and the CSD told him to go back to his duties. At this point, the CSD says to me "you need to check your attitude, I won't tolerate you being rude to my crew". I was quite shocked since I had spoken only to the fellow helping with my bedding up until that point. All other communication was ONLY with the CSD.

At this point, I replied to him and said that perhaps I am unhappy with the way many things were handled on the ground and the lack of support.

I said that while I understand frontline staff do have to deal with problems created by others, I do not think to tell me I have an attitude is a way to "solve" this problem. He then said that the flight is full so I only have the bedding assigned and "I have to go and attend to a REAL problem, there's a medical and we are probably going to have to turn back".

At this point, I just wanted to sleep, so I got my jacket, rolled it up and got into bed, Eye mask on, and earplugs in. Around 5 min later I get a tap on my shoulder, and someone starts talking, I take off the cover and plug, and the CSD said: "The Captain has agreed to give you HIS pillow". I just said "NO, the captain needs his rest," the CSD said, "Its only two crew, so they are not using it"...

Again this whole attitude of his was ridiculous, all he did was go to the crew bunk and get one of the available pillows. Why he needed to make it a point that the CAPTAIN was doing me HUGE favour... It was a pillow... that was all and for the broken slung wrist. Throughout the flight, the crew were noisy with their service, they did not consider those of us trying to sleep.

Finally, on the descent, I had the call light on 3 times, and no one answered. So I went up and asked for my clothes, the stewardess was looking for them, and the CSD comes down from Door 1 and says "what's the problem now, can't you just press you to call button". I replied to him 'this is ........, I have pressed it three times, and all I want is my clothes" he replied that I am not to abuse his staff... Again the entire problem is his antagonistic attitude.

Finally, as we were deciding I was swapping sim cards, my drawer was 1/4 open, and it was quite apparent that I was. just putting in another card. He kneels next to me and says just because you are an Emerald, does not give you any special privileges, you've been told to stow your items for landing, now do it. He then asked me if I would like the police to meet me on arrival.

Well done BA!

Honestly, I will ensure that every person I speak to hears about the abhorrent service your crew managers feel is an appropriate way to deal with passengers, I am aware that we all can have bad days. But on this flight, your CSD was overly antagonistic, and it seemed like he was almost going out of his way to make my flight one to remember.

I should also make it known that it is now over 4 weeks since I first notified you of this issue (right after the flight) and there has been zero communication from any of your customer service team.

Regards."
Hmm, difficult one and always to side to every story of course. I can understand why your unhappy/annoyed, seems a few reletively minor issues along with a clash with the CSD have taken you to that point. I'm sure there's things you and the CSD could have done differently with hindsight.

Did you have assistance booked, that may have removed a number of the issues, got you on boarding, someone to take your luggage and stow it etc....

Search this Thread
Search Engine: