Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Typical BA J Class Service???

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2019, 7:27 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
Best way to make sure a brand new FT member never returns is to label them a "one post wonder". @:-)

Folks, just a reminder : FT protocols request y'all discuss the topic, not the poster.
As the one who made the "one post wonder" comment, I beg to differ - the poster and the post are both relevant through the context. The poster's (apparent) attitude has a huge bearing on this topic, especially given that his first interaction with the CSM was absolutely negative and poor form. And on that note, something none of us have picked up on until now, having a gap between the plane and the jet bridge (presumably endangering people through a potential fall of several feet) would surely not be allowed on a health & safety conscious airline like BA?
Old Oct 17, 2019, 7:38 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by A P Yu
Seniority has no impact on Mixed Fleet bidding. People bid for what they want, and SIN/SYD is infact VERY popular due to the amount of money it earns them. Those who don't want it, simply don't bid for it - there will be plenty who do. If someone does get a SIN/SYD and doesn't want it, there will be plenty who would swap onto it
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
I am reasonably regular on LHR-SIN-SYD and have chatted about this with crew. The view I've been given is that the kangaroo trip is a very popular one and one that many crew want and try to get on. With it being a 9 day tour this is a good earner for crew. In total it gives them four nights in SIN and a longish one night layover in SYD. They get two nights off in each direction at SIN plus a full day to enjoy SYD before operating the mid-afternoon flight back to SIN.

I'm sure there are crew that would not want to do the kangaroo trip, but I have yet to meet a crew member on that trip that hadn't wanted to do it. Some do it several times a year, and look forward to it! It affords them decent time downroute and provides them with a nice 'bonus' to boot.
This certainly tallies with the conversations I’ve had with Mixed Fleet crew over the past week, so I think the chance of the OP getting what is perceived as poor service will not be down to a member of crew not wanting to be there.

Now of course it’s very difficult to say exactly what happened here in the absence of other first hand accounts, but what I can say with certainty is that I’ve seen someone come on board a plane at LHR today with a disability that required an individual safety briefing. The crew were aware it was needed in advance, the approach from the passenger’s helper was polite and it happened without fuss in spite of it being a busy flight.

Perhaps the OP might reflect that some advance notice of his or her injury might have gone some way to getting off on the right foot? Indeed, probably the antagonism we seem to see both ways here wouldn’t have built up in the first place then. I’d also say I’ve seen some fairly demanding behavioural traits displayed towards cabin crew by passengers, but never have I been aware of a SCCM having to protect his staff by stopping further contact, or threaten to involve the police - so quite what happened here I’m struggling to imagine.

So if feel like that, and it seems to be a common viewpoint, perhaps the OP shouldn’t be too surprised that the CEO’s office has also not replied in the most effusive terms.
Old Oct 17, 2019, 7:59 am

Programs: QF WP
I am reasonably regular on LHR-SIN-SYD and have chatted about this with crew. The view I've been given is that the kangaroo trip is a very popular one and one that many crew want and try to get on. With it being a 9 day tour this is a good earner for crew. In total it gives them four nights in SIN and a longish one night layover in SYD. They get two nights off in each direction at SIN plus a full day to enjoy SYD before operating the mid-afternoon flight back to SIN.

I'm sure there are crew that would not want to do the kangaroo trip, but I have yet to meet a crew member on that trip that hadn't wanted to do it. Some do it several times a year, and look forward to it! It affords them decent time downroute and provides them with a nice 'bonus' to boot.
There was me thinking my second point was the more controversial one 😉
flygirl68 and Tobias-UK like this.
Old Oct 17, 2019, 8:16 am
McG

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by SKT-DK
And on that note, something none of us have picked up on until now, having a gap between the plane and the jet bridge (presumably endangering people through a potential fall of several feet) would surely not be allowed on a health & safety conscious airline like BA?
The gap is likely to have been a height gap where the level of the jet bridge is below the level of the aircraft door. The small wheel that you sometimes see resting against the aircraft fuselage coming from the jet bridge is an auto levelling device. If the wheel moves, the jet bridge moves accordingly to keep the jet bridge and aircraft door at the same height as when the jet bridge was attached. A failure of this could result in a bigger gap than normal.
Old Oct 17, 2019, 8:22 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
Originally Posted by McG
The gap is likely to have been a height gap where the level of the jet bridge is below the level of the aircraft door. The small wheel that you sometimes see resting against the aircraft fuselage coming from the jet bridge is an auto levelling device. If the wheel moves, the jet bridge moves accordingly to keep the jet bridge and aircraft door at the same height as when the jet bridge was attached. A failure of this could result in a bigger gap than normal.
A height gap surely would not have posed a problem as you can drag the bag up over the threshold to the cabin - what the OP describes is a gap requiring carrying the bag (which makes me wonder how he got it out of his house and to the airport, through security etc in the first place)
Old Oct 17, 2019, 8:25 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance

Same observation here, although many of my SIN-LHR are BA 12 (but of course SYD-SIN is BA 16).

Another thing I should add is SIN check-in staff are very nice and very helpful as you probably know, although they are not pushovers and won’t stand for nonsense.
Old Oct 17, 2019, 8:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Nonsense, such a good word for this whole thread.
SKT-DK and spursdebs like this.
Old Oct 17, 2019, 8:54 am

Originally Posted by Can I help you
Nonsense, such a good word for this whole thread.
Indeed!
Old Oct 17, 2019, 9:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: QF Platinum
Interesting range of responses.

And no I won't back away from my stance that the CSD (if you refer to his linked in profile it clearly states he is a Cabin Service Director, a trainer as well so it claims) should have deescalated what was a poor introduction, rather than antagonise. He sets the tone for the rest of the crew, or should.

I openings admit that a smile at the beginning may have turned the sequence of events.

But not withstanding that, when you are presented with a passenger who has a arm in a cast and that said arm is in a sling (pretty obvious injury for those of you who claim they may not have known), it is actually the job of the cabin crew to defuse what may be an unhappy pax.

The other crew were great, friendly and generally helpful, however my interactions were somewhat "blocked" by the fact that the CSD (again what ever you wish to call it, CSD, CSM, ISM, OBM) seemed to want to escalate rather than defuse.

It is good to hear that this is not normal, but it would seem it is not isolate either.

As to what I wanted from BA, an apology - that was cleared stated to them at the beginning of the call, I was not looking for anything other than them admitting that they should not have handled a situation as they did.

BA Check in staff in SIN were fantastic, the ones at the gate not so. But like all things you always get a mixed bag. And once again, good and bad, the crew onboard will get pax who are unhappy because of ground experiences and it is up to them to try and deescalate the situation.

Finally the only reason this email was sent (for the second time) to the upper management was the lack of any reply from customer service after a month from the incident.
Old Oct 17, 2019, 9:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The point about the “CSD” is that there has been no CSD on any SIN SYD SIN flight for at least 8 years as these flights are crewed by MF crew and they do not have this rank.
You obviously have this crewmembers name and there maybe be more than one working for BA with the same name.
Your other points are valid.
Old Oct 17, 2019, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Can I ask how long before you flew the cast was fitted?
Old Oct 17, 2019, 9:50 am
Original Poster

Can I ask how long before you flew the cast was fitted?
I was in a flexi cast (moulded out of a hard plastic) and the flight was 2 weeks post op for a fracture of the distal radius, they had plated and screwed fracture. I had a fitness to fly certificate from both the hand surgeon and also a aviation medical examiner.
Old Oct 17, 2019, 9:51 am
Original Poster

The point about the “CSD” is that there has been no CSD on any SIN SYD SIN flight for at least 8 years as these flights are crewed by MF crew and they do not have this rank.
You obviously have this crewmembers name and there maybe be more than one working for BA with the same name.
Your other points are valid.
BA confirmed that the public linked in profile was the person whom I filed the complaint against.

His title is CSD, and he has worked with BA for 23 years.

"

14 yrs 5 mos

LocationLondon Heathrow Airport.

On board manager, leading a team of up to 15 cabin crew to deliver outstanding customerservice on long haul services from London Heathrow Airport. Responsible for customer safety,the customer experience and management of the onboard team. Aircraft types- 747-400/777-200/777-300/787-8/9

Old Oct 17, 2019, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thank you that would explain why you were “Fit to Fly”.
Old Oct 17, 2019, 9:53 am
Original Poster

Thumbs up

Thank you that would explain why you were “Fit to Fly”.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.